The evoltuion of my Son's first gaming PC.

mr moose

As some of you may or may not know, a few months ago I bought all this for my sons first gaming pc:

IMAG0154.jpg

Not a bad effort for $500 Aussie.  I threw it together in an old case I had so we could go to his first Lan Party:

WP_20150414_002.jpg

WP_20150414_001.jpg

Incidentally he loved it and can't wait for the next one (that's my boy :D ).

Anyway, since then I picked up this old Antec case.  Whilst it's old, it is slightly bigger and has better airflow.  So today I swapped all the parts out and cleaned up the Antec:

WP_20150414_004.jpg

This PC is going to evolve slowely over the next few months/years.  Hopefully when I have finished it will contain none of the original parts and contain some custom built/modded parts.

The first thing I did was rip out the dodgy ceased up fan and put in a new one with 7v adapter.   Nothing is currently overclocked in this build so it only needs basic airflow.

Also the the offside panel is non-removable and the mother board tray has only a 3mm gap behind it, so no easy cable management for me and fancy cooling options are not welcome.

WP_20150414_005.jpg

There's not even room for a froint mounted fan, let alone radiator.

WP_20150414_006.jpg

After fixing the rear fan, I replaced the cd drive with a DVD drive, (this turned out to be a waste of time because the IDE to Sata converter I used isn't recognized by windows or UEFI. :angry:

WP_20150414_007.jpg

WP_20150414_008.jpg

Cleaned up with the non-modular PSU in place,  This is gonna suck.

WP_20150414_009.jpg

Mobo and wiring in place:

WP_20150414_010.jpg

And voila!:  (don't look behind the HDD bays)

WP_20150414_011.jpg

I don't even know what this cases is let alone how old it is,  suffice to say when I upgrade the hdd to an SSD I'll probably also upgrade the GPU and mod it to squeeze a fan in the front.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

still looks better than my build..

maybe try to get him to start saving up for any updates from now on?

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

it doesn't look bad at all! Lucky Kid to have you as a dad :D 

CPU: I5 7400 | Motherboard: MSI H110M  | RAM: 16GB G-Skill 2400mhz  | GPU:  NVIDIA  MSI Gaming 4G GTX 970 | Case: Tecware Quad | Cooling: Stock| Storage: Kingston 120gb SSD, 1TB Drive ,  | PSU: Seasonic 620 Watt 80+ Bronze Full Modular | Display: Devant 50 Inch Smart TV   | 

noice

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

Thanks Guys. :)

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Heartwarming to see a father start to teach his kid computer things. 

My father did when i was growing up, built my first system with his help at the tender age of 10, such fond memories. As he did with me, I'll probably do with my future children and so on. Hopefully your son gets the same gusto for tech that you have matey!

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

AHHH that looks better than my build.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Wow, looks pretty good. Good thing to know that a father teaches his son about computers :D

I really like how you did that cable management in a case like that :o

Just a Techie Girl!