Can Mechanical Keyboards Change Your Game play?

jinroh10

Hello all,i am looking to get the Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard but was wondering if if does anything different from the standard keyboard that i am using? My question is what are the perk of having a Mechanical Keyboard vs standard?

Not really, the only time a keyboard makes any difference is with it has additions like macro keys or backlighting.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

Hello all,i am looking to get the Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard but was wondering if if does anything different from the standard keyboard that i am using? My question is what are the perk of having a Mechanical Keyboard vs standard?

Well it's mostly going to feel better to type on. It's unlikely to make you drastically better at playing games. There are many different switches and some switches (mainly heavier ones) can actually make you play worse. However, the K70 uses fairly light switch options.

So to sum it up, it's not going to make you better when you open the box and plug the keyboard in. It'll take some getting used to first.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

i found that its easier to hit some of the keys than on a membrane keyboard.....but thats about it

Current: R2600X@4.0GHz\\ Corsair Air 280x \\ RTX 2070 \\ 16GB DDR3 2666 \\ 1KW EVGA Supernova\\ Asus B450 TUF

Old Systems: A6 5200 APU -- A10 7800K + HD6670 -- FX 9370 + 2X R9 290 -- G3258 + R9 280 -- 4690K + RX480

it's mostly for the typing experience. However, I find that I can spam keys faster on my mechanical keyboard than I can on my laptop keyboard.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

Will it make you a better player?

Short answer, probably not. But mechanical keyboards are a dream to type on and has reduced strain compared to using a membrane keyboard. It will make your keystrokes more 'definite' and will prevent accidental button presses. If you have a special mechanical keyboard, then you can get reduced response time.

But it's like going from 5ms monitor response time to 1ms. The normal, and even above average gamer won't notice the difference in their gameplay, but if you're a competitive gamer, you might get a few benefits such as hands that won't get tired as easily, or the reduction of accidental keystrokes. The actuation point of some switches (Cherry MX Red/Black) is designed for gaming so that it can provide an immediate response once you touch the key.

I personally love my mechanical keyboard, and recommend it. While it won't improve your gameplay, it'll sure improve the overall keyboard experience. Typing on this thing is a dream!

Hope this helps :D

Dual Boot Windows & Hackintosh

CPU: Intel 4790K | Motherboard: ASUS Maximus Hero Vii | GPU: Zotac AMP! Extreme GTX 970 | Display: ASUS PB278Q | Case: Phantom 630 | PSU: Corsair HX1000i 

Canada eh? 

Will it make you a better player?

Short answer, probably not. But mechanical keyboards are a dream to type on and has reduced strain compared to using a membrane keyboard. It will make your keystrokes more 'definite' and will prevent accidental button presses. If you have a special mechanical keyboard, then you can get reduced response time.

But it's like going from 5ms monitor response time to 1ms. The normal, and even above average gamer won't notice the difference in their gameplay, but if you're a competitive gamer, you might get a few benefits such as hands that won't get tired as easily, or the reduction of accidental keystrokes. The actuation point of some switches (Cherry MX Red/Black) is designed for gaming so that it can provide an immediate response once you touch the key.

I personally love my mechanical keyboard, and recommend it. While it won't improve your gameplay, it'll sure improve the overall keyboard experience. Typing on this thing is a dream!

Hope this helps :D

What keyboard do you have?

I would like to thank everyone that provided me with your knowledge on mechanical keyboards because i was totally lost from a gaming point of view. Me personally i like the Corsair Mechanical keyboards and them as a company. Each and every time i called Corsair with an issue all i got was excellent customer. service.

What keyboard do you have?

I have the Razer Deathadder Ultimate 2014 edition - though it doesn't have the Cherry MX switches, it has the 'Razer Orange' switches which are quite similar to MX Browns. They are slightly different, but are 'gaming optimized'. Plus I liked the layout and look of the deathadder better than Logitech or Corsair's keyboards.

CPU: Intel 4790K | Motherboard: ASUS Maximus Hero Vii | GPU: Zotac AMP! Extreme GTX 970 | Display: ASUS PB278Q | Case: Phantom 630 | PSU: Corsair HX1000i 

Canada eh? 

I have the Razer Deathadder Ultimate 2014 edition - though it doesn't have the Cherry MX switches, it has the 'Razer Orange' switches which are quite similar to MX Browns. They are slightly different, but are 'gaming optimized'. Plus I liked the layout and look of the deathadder better than Logitech or Corsair's keyboards.

Nice!

So the RGB with the Corsair keyboards is just the ability to change the led lighting?

Part of the advantage of mechanical is *consistency*.  It might not make a big deal the first month you play with it or even the first year but mechanical switches stand up better to use (and abuse) better than than the conventional bubble type.  As the bubbles soften from use some keys, mostly ones you don't use as often, will take slightly more pressure than the ones you use a lot.  As they get used further the ones you use a lot can actually get too soft, etc.  In the end you end up with a keyboard that all the keys take a slightly different amount of pressure to actuate and to compensate for this you end up pressing them all harder than you need to, subconsciously.  A lot of bubble switch keys are rated for something like 10 million presses.  A good mechanical switch is usually around five times that.

TL:DR  Mechanical keys should last longer and remain more consistent over the life of the keyboard.

System: i5 6600K@3.6 GHz, Gigabyte Z170XP SLI, 2x8 Corsair DDR 3000, Corsair Hydro H60i cooler, Rosewill CAPSTONE 750w Gold PSU, 1x 512GB SSD, 1x 2TB 7200RPM, Windows 10 Pro x64
Display: XFX R9 390 DD, triple 1920x1200 24" HP monitors (5760x1200 @ 60Hz)   Sound: Audio-gd NFB-11 -> AKG K7XX or 2.1 speaker system

So the RGB with the Corsair keyboards is just the ability to change the led lighting?

Yeah. It gives the ability for the backlighting to change. That's all. My keyboard doesn't have rgb backlighting, but it has green backlighting.

Canada eh? 

I honestly don't think it will make a big difference, however, I just purchased a Corsair K65 the other night and set it up and played CS GO. Right away, I got like 30 kills and like 10 deaths. Did the same the next two matches I played. For background info, I really suck at CS go. (I got the game a week ago)

So for me, I think it was the keyboard. I went from a dell, really old PS2 keyboard to a cherry my keyboard.

Although, that could have been a fluke and now Im on the placebo effect and just think it was the keyboard. It's really just a matter of sitting down and playing with both keywords and testing them both to see what serves you best.

Hope this helps!

I honestly don't think it will make a big difference, however, I just purchased a Corsair K65 the other night and set it up and played CS GO. Right away, I got like 30 kills and like 10 deaths. Did the same the next two matches I played. For background info, I really suck at CS go. (I got the game a week ago)

So for me, I think it was the keyboard. I went from a dell, really old PS2 keyboard to a cherry my keyboard.

Although, that could have been a fluke and now Im on the placebo effect and just think it was the keyboard. It's really just a matter of sitting down and playing with both keywords and testing them both to see what serves you best.

Hope this helps!

Yes...it helped alot,and as for CS GO i always wanted to get that game but never got around to it. I play alot of BF3, and TF2.

It will make you a 1337 haxor that dominates in all games and is part of the PC Mustard Race, worshipping Gaben.

jk

It can "change" your gameplay, as in your experience.  Everything a mechanical keyboard offers you is based on feeling, the feeling of your fingers, the audible feedback, etc.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

It will make you a 1337 haxor that dominates in all games and is part of the PC Mustard Race, worshipping Gaben.

jk

It can "change" your gameplay, as in your experience.  Everything a mechanical keyboard offers you is based on feeling, the feeling of your fingers, the audible feedback, etc.

Awesome...so now the question is being a FPS player do i get the Corsair K90 or thr K70?

No, it's not really going to make you a better player. What separates a decent player and great player is the mindset and experience.

What it actually does is making it more comfortable and "smoother", so definitely worth investing a bit if you game a lot.

I'm telling the truth! I AM a 12 year old girl!

For me yes. The responsiveness of each keypress, I don't need to bottom out, I can type/press faster when work/game.

I'm not talking about PBT keycap for extra grip, different color keycap for me to "stare and spam", o-ring to shorten the actuation distance.

When you have a more advance peripheral, it helps your computing more productive.