Can you type with 10 fingers?

Cacao

Hey guys, I would really love to learn to type with 10 fingers, however I just can't get myself to learn! I can type pretty fast with 2 fingers, even without looking at the keyboard, however whenever I decide to learn to type with 10 fingers I will straight away switch back to 2 in a real world situation since it's much faster and I'll just get annoyed. I really want to have a future in IT and I think it's kind of ridiculous that I can't type properly, so do you guys have any tips on learning? Maybe share your learning experience. Thanks!

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

Do whatever makes you feel comfortable tbh. There's no right away to type aside from basic form. I use anywhere between 4-6 fingers and can occasionally burst-type at 70WPM with 60-65 being average. All of my typing is muscle memory, and I rarely use my pinky fingers (they're physically incapable of hitting keys properly due to injury).

If you really want to learn, there are plenty of lessons online that you can follow. Do them constantly and daily until it becomes second nature. It could take anywhere from a week to couple of months before it becomes normal.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Do whatever makes you feel comfortable tbh. There's no right away to type aside from basic form. I use anywhere between 4-6 fingers and can occasionally burst-type at 70WPM with 60-65 being average.

If you really want to learn, there are plenty of lessons online that you can follow. Do them constantly and daily until it becomes second nature. It could take anywhere from a week to couple of months before it becomes normal.

Can you link some of these free programs online. My school has a typing contest every year and first place gets 100 dollars...

i5-3570k l ASRock Z77 Extreme6 LGA1155 I G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 I Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5' 7200RPM I Sapphire Radeon 7950 3GB I Cooler Master Storm Enforcer I SeaSonic 620W I Windows 7

I don't use the "proper" way to type, yet I can still type quickly and pretty accurately, I'd say at around 50-60wpm.

| i5-4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Corsair H100i | Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB | ASUS Geforce GTX 770 |

| Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Black 1TB | Corsair AX760 | Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/ Window | Corsair AF140 x2 |

| Windows 8.1 | ASUS 23" 1080p monitor | CM Storm Quickfire Stealth- MX Blue | Logitech G9x | Logitech G930 |

no, i use 8 fingers/thumbs, i don't use my pinkies.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

I type with 10 without looking at all. My mother made me learn typing in home school for 7th grade. It was annoying, but I loved it. I could do a month's worth of work in a day.

I now type at 85+WPM with about 1-3 error (really 7-9, but I fix them as I go and still get 85+WPM). That was with a membrane. I need to test it with my Mechanical and see if I've improved. 

:P

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Do whatever makes you feel comfortable tbh. There's no right away to type aside from basic form. I use anywhere between 4-6 fingers and can occasionally burst-type at 70WPM with 60-65 being average.

I have tried a few of these online classes, but they are usually really childish and annoying. Do you know any good ones?

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

I use my own typing form that I've developed over the years. I use my index fingers for the main letters, thumbs for spacebar, and pinkies for tab, caps lock, shift, ctrl, windows key, alt, alt, ctrl, shift, enter, backslash, and backspace. I can get out about 95-100 wpm like this, only about 60 wpm when using the "standard" typing form, even less because my accuracy goes down so bad.

http://play.typeracer.com/

Use the practice test on their to learn, I tend to type witho between four - six fingers the thumbs and my little fingers barely get used at all remember as nice as it is to type fast you also don't want to get into the habit of contorting your hands to type fast for extended periods of time. It is why I leave out my little fingers they serve little purpose unless I extend them in awkward angles.

I should note when I'm gaming I do use my little finger for ctrl shift caps ect because my left hand will be comfortably sitting on that area of the keyboard without and large movements.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

I don't touch type, but it's more of muscle memory really. I use a range of fingers from 2-9. I use my whole left hand and only use my thumb, pointer, and middle finger on my right hand for ease of typing on the right side.

I say use whatever is more comfortable. If you're a fast type(50WPM+) then you shouldn't deviate from what you already know.

When I was about 8-9 years old I started using computers. I don't really remember how I started learning to type but I remember using some sort of typing tutor program a few times. Think it actually helped a little.

I usually only use 6-8 fingers, except when I really have to type fast I'll occasionally use all 10. But I also don't use the "right way".

In my opinion all that matters is that you can type comfortably, although there is always room for improvement.

I have tried a few of these online classes, but they are usually really childish and annoying. Do you know any good ones?

Can you link some of these free programs online. My school has a typing contest every year and first place gets 100 dollars...

Haven't tried any of these, but:

http://www.typingweb.com/tutor/

http://www.typingstudy.com/

http://typingclub.com/

Among others. Most have a similar interface as they're designed to look clean, and perhaps appeal to a younger audience (which is when touch typing lessons usually begin).

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

I have never actually thought about this. I think I use 6.

“Snorting instant coffee is the best,” said Kayla Johns, 19, of Portland.

I type with exactly eight fingers

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

I don't touch type, but it's more of muscle memory really. I use a range of fingers from 2-9. I use my whole left hand and only use my thumb, pointer, and middle finger on my right hand for ease of typing on the right side.

I say use whatever is more comfortable. If you're a fast type(50WPM+) then you shouldn't deviate from what you already know.

I just did a random test, on my first try I got 48WPM with 93% accuracy, that's just with 2 fingers.

I think I use about 8 or 9 fingers. The left thumb doesn't get used at all, and my right thumb is restricted to spacebar duties. Typing post I've realised it's 9 fingers that I use.

2nd try I got this:

8f07dcb41bd5ef63f87e39a90ca8a00f.png

How good is that? Once again, that's just with 2 fingers.

I just did a random test, on my first try I got 48WPM with 93% accuracy, that's just with 2 fingers.

Then I wouldn't personally change your typing habit.

I TA(Teacher's Assistant) for my school's attendance office, a lady I know that is learning to become an Attendance lady needs to complete a typing test that has her rated over 40WPM(you're sometimes rushed and need to know how to type fast to move through a lot of students/parents daily) and she uses all 10 fingers and she can't get higher than 35 the last time I talked to her.

If you're a fast typer with only 2 fingers, then I wouldn't change.

My school taught touch typing as early as grade 1, so we always had to do those typing games from "All the right type". It wasn't fun to be honest, but once you pick up speed and complete each lesson with >3 errors, you could advance to the next one. Eventually, you were able to play these rowing games against the computer at different WPMs. I think we eventually moved on to some kind of shark typing test where you "electrocuted" sharks underwater before they got to you. Good times, haha.

Honestly though, my typing speed was about 40-50 WPM at that time. Playing MMORPGs actually forced me to type faster to interact while still having my keyboard avaiable to control my character. Through playing MMOs as a kid, my typing speed pretty much doubled. I can now type at about 100WPM avg, with around 120WPM max with less than 3 errors.

tl;dr

Playing games made me type faster. True story. Yes I can touch type. Although I have a bad habit of mainly using the Left Shift key even though I shouldn't for the left side keys from the home row.

2 fingers like a boss! I will learn eventually, probably gonna need it for uni ;)

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

I use the left Shift. I only use the Left CTRL, Shift, Alt, etc. I never use the right ones unless I'm in an awkward position. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.