What gaming laptop should I buy?

Go to solution Solved by ShadowCaptain,

Do you know if the M17 have a HDMI in port? If that's the only laptop with a HDMI in port, then I don't see any other option than to buy that one, since it's a must for me.

yes 99% sure of it, there might be some others, but off the top of my head I cannot think of any at all really

Also you can get the graphics amplifier now so that pretty awesome if you like to use it at home docked to a larger screen

i have been looing around for a laptop for a while and I need help.
at the moment I have a Alienware M17x r3 and I'm not happy with it. The build quality is just horrible, and it always throttles, even when I have just cleaned it and applied thermal paste.

What I'm looking for in a laptop is:
- GTX 980M (Maybe with SLI)
- atleast 8GB system RAM.
- A HDMI In Port, because I sometimes use my laptop as a monitor for my consoles. And ofcourse a HDMI out port.
- Great speakers. The audio speaker in my M17x r3 is acutally pretty good, and I want something at least as good as that.
- A power charger that doesn't slip easy out. This always happens to my Alienware and i want something that doesn't get knocked out that easily. pretty tired of that happening.
- Minimum 17inch monitor.
- A decent cooling system for a laptop.

Maybe I'm asking to much from a laptop, but if somebody knows something like this, lease let me know.

Budget 2000 Dollars

Suprised you find the m17 build quality bad, the build on my M18x is absolutely ROCK solid, same as my old m11x and dell m1730

It shouldnt throttle either, strange.....

Ive gone off 17" and above , but I have some recommendations - however I dont know any other laptop with HDMI in than the Alienwares

M18

GT80 Titan

Gigabyte P37x 

Aorus X7

Asus G751

Some Clevo models

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Do you really need a laptop or would a mini itx build suffice.

Just asking plz no flamerinos.

We need a budget tho.

I have added budget. It's 2000 dollars. Yes I need a laptop, since I often move it to friends, and around the house.

the one with the best mobile gpu

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Suprised you find the m17 build quality bad, the build on my M18x is absolutely ROCK solid, same as my old m11x and dell m1730

It shouldnt throttle either, strange.....

Ive gone off 17" and above , but I have some recommendations - however I dont know any other laptop with HDMI in than the Alienwares

M18

GT80 Titan

Gigabyte P37x 

Aorus X7

Asus G751

Some Clevo models

I will take a look on the laptop you have posten. Note that I have M17x r3 and not the new M17. I hven't seen a M17 before, so I don't know how the build quality is.

With. but for my M17x r3 the build quality is bad. the charger always falls out. charger always breaks even tho I'm careful. This is my third charger.

The screen touches the keyboard when closing the screen, so I alays have to clean it. Not that big of a problem.

i get always a message that I need connect a 150W charger or better for  better performance, even tho my charger is 240W. Maybe that's why I get a bad performance.

The screws inside the laptop where the SSD/HDD is, the screws will not screws then self in anymore, and it's almost inpossible to get them out. And the part under my audio speakers, there is a litle bit of air room. almost like the laptop will fall apart. There is so much small details on what's wrong with it, that it makes the whole laptop feel like a peace of trash.

I have added budget. It's 2000 dollars. Yes I need a laptop, since I often move it to friends, and around the house.

Just build a micro ATX build, will be portable and more powerful. Trust me you will regret that laptop you will buy.

You could build a ITX case with a Titan X if you REALLY wanted for 2k :o

Regular human bartender...Jackie Daytona.

I will take a look on the laptop you have posten. Note that I have M17x r3 and not the new M17. I hven't seen a M17 before, so I don't know how the build quality is.

With. but for my M17x r3 the build quality is bad. the charger always falls out. charger always breaks even tho I'm careful. This is my third charger.

The screen touches the keyboard when closing the screen, so I alays have to clean it. Not that big of a problem.

i get always a message that I need connect a 150W charger or better for  better performance, even tho my charger is 240W. Maybe that's why I get a bad performance.

The screws inside the laptop where the SSD/HDD is, the screws will not screws then self in anymore, and it's almost inpossible to get them out. And the part under my audio speakers, there is a litle bit of air room. almost like the laptop will fall apart. There is so much small details on what's wrong with it, that it makes the whole laptop feel like a peace of trash.

My M18x is the same generation as yours, I had that power supply issue, I just got dell to fit a new motherboard under warranty and never had an issue again , never broken a power supply in 2 years of owning it (same power supply as you)

I thought they were built similarly, but obviously not, my m18x is like completely metal all over and solidly built, and I have opened it plenty of times

(I did a review on the forum of it not sure if its the same build as yours http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/170701-the-alienware-m18x-review/)

Oh well maybe they are more different than I thought, hopefully sometihng in my suggestions helps

Personally I am selling this soon and getting a GS60 Ghost or Aorus X3 as a replacement, want something smaller and lighter

Just build a micro ATX build, will be portable and more powerful. Trust me you will regret that laptop you will buy.

You could build a ITX case with a Titan X if yo

Come on guys, a Desktop is in NO WAY as portable as a gaming laptop, yes they are not cheap but they are still awesome if the suit the needs of the user

The guy owns and loves his M17x despite the issues he has had, I think if he wants a gaming laptop, there is no problem with that

some of us just like gaming laptops ok

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

As someone who bought a laptop vs a gaming rig. I don't agree. You may not to be able to play all games, but being able to play on an airplane is sweet. 

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time. 

It didn't have HDMI In : /

does that even exist?

My M18x is the same generation as yours, I had that power supply issue, I just got dell to fit a new motherboard under warranty and never had an issue again , never broken a power supply in 2 years of owning it (same power supply as you)

I thought they were built similarly, but obviously not, my m18x is like completely metal all over and solidly built, and I have opened it plenty of times

(I did a review on the forum of it not sure if its the same build as yours http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/170701-the-alienware-m18x-review/)

Oh well maybe they are more different than I thought, hopefully sometihng in my suggestions helps

Personally I am selling this soon and getting a GS60 Ghost or Aorus X3 as a replacement, want something smaller and lighter

Come on guys, a Desktop is in NO WAY as portable as a gaming laptop, yes they are not cheap but they are still awesome if the suit the needs of the user

The guy owns and loves his M17x despite the issues he has had, I think if he wants a gaming laptop, there is no problem with that

some of us just like gaming laptops ok

I see that most of laptops today doesn't have HDMi in anymore. Don't know why they stopped with it. it makes me want to buy a uses M17x r4 or something and upgrade it. Do you know if there is a third party thing I could plug into a laptop and get HDMi in?

does that even exist?

I have it in my Alienare M17x r3, but I don't know if they even make that on new laptops.

I see that most of laptops today doesn't have HDMi in anymore. Don't know why they stopped with it. it makes me want to buy a uses M17x r4 or something and upgrade it. Do you know if there is a third party thing I could plug into a laptop and get HDMi in?

Its a feature almost nobody asks for, takes up lots of space and is unnecessary and niche for 99.9999% of users

I dont believe that is possible, it has to be specced into the display etc

Its something I love about my m18x and I would be sad to see it go,... however I am sick of carrying it.. so it can go to hell

does that even exist?

yep my m18x has it, can use it as a monitor for any HDMI device, blu ray players, PS4s, etc etc

It still to big to travel with, and you also would need to bring you monitor.

Any Alienware Kappa

PC SPECS: Athlon 860k, MSI 380 4GB, 8GB memory, 1TB HDD, Fractal Design Core 1000

get Asus G751 with 980m, it has the best cooling therefore the quietest 

Its a feature almost nobody asks for, takes up lots of space and is unnecessary and niche for 99.9999% of users

I dont believe that is possible, it has to be specced into the display etc

Its something I love about my m18x and I would be sad to see it go,... however I am sick of carrying it.. so it can go to hell

yep my m18x has it, can use it as a monitor for any HDMI device, blu ray players, PS4s, etc etc

Do you know if the M17 have a HDMI in port? If that's the only laptop with a HDMI in port, then I don't see any other option than to buy that one, since it's a must for me.

yes 99% sure of it, there might be some others, but off the top of my head I cannot think of any at all really

Also you can get the graphics amplifier now so that pretty awesome if you like to use it at home docked to a larger screen

get Asus G751 with 980m, it has the best cooling therefore the quietest 

I did concider it, but it doesn't have HDMI in port.