Is Avast! antivirus any good?

Go to solution Solved by swifty7,

so free avast is no good?

update:

according to AVTEST website, they gave AVAST FREE an excellent score, so I think I'll stick with it.

I've been using Avast! antivirus for as long as I can remember and it's always seemed to do the job well. Are there better options out there? I'm asking because I saw another post with someone asking about AV for win 8.1 (which is what I use) and none of the recommendations from users included Avast. Performance impact shouldn't be too bad. Because I have 16gb of RAM and an FX-6300. I've got 2 cores doing nothing most of the time anyway haha.

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

I've been using Avast! antivirus for as long as I can remember and it's always seemed to do the job well. Are there better options out there? I'm asking because I saw another post with someone asking about AV for win 8.1 (which is what I use) and none of the recommendations from users included Avast. Performance impact shouldn't be too bad. Because I have 16gb of RAM and an FX-6300. I've got 2 cores doing nothing most of the time anyway haha.

8.1 has Windows Defender, pair it up with MalwareBytes and you're good to go.

Main Rig

Case: NZXT H440 White | CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K @5.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i Hydro Series | Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition | RAM: HyperX Fury White & Black Series 16GB (4x4GB) OC to 2133MHz | Graphics Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti ArcticStorm | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB & Samsung 840 256GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA 750W Supernova G2 80+ Gold | Display: BenQ XL2420G & Samsung S20D300 | Headset: Corsair 1500 | Mouse: Logitech G700S | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Silver RED LED

XENON Build:  

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 @3.3GHz | Intel DZ68BC | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x4GB 1866MHz | Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB | MSI GeForce GTX 680 | Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey | Seasonic 520W 80+ Platinum Fanless

Office Build:

Case: Fractal Focus G White | CPU: i5-8600K | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB-2666 | GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X | SSD: Kingston A400 240GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA BT 450W+ Bronze

Phone

iPhone XS Max 512GB Gold

Funny, how most people here recommend avast, though :D and now bash it with a stone

I have Win8.1 + Malwarebytes and that is enough

I rock BitDefender because it's light, and I've heard it's good, and Malware Bytes.

Before that, I ran my computer for about 8 months with no antivirus, and Malware Bytes scans about once every ~4 months, and not a single virus.

The best antivirus is your head.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

lol no

Get AVG

Can you explain? Any real big advantages or disadvantages?

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

Can you explain? Any real big advantages or disadvantages?

AVG is terrible, even Avast! is better.

blackshades on

Malwarebytes REKTS all other AV's. Don't fall for the flashy trash.

Malwarebytes is an antimalware. Not an antivirus. OFC I have malwarebytes, that's a given.

I would get Nod32 since it doesn't use alot of resources and works pretty good. I use that with Malwarebytes.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

Malwarebytes is an antimalware. Not an antivirus. OFC I have malwarebytes, that's a given.

Its considered an AV too since it does have a realtime scanner, what ever those are called.

blackshades on

Nah, I'd stick to AVG or get Malwarebytes.

I have malwarebytes. That's an anti-malware I want to know about my AV

Theres no reason to not get a paid anti-virus, there so darn cheap. Paid $1.00 us dollar for Bit Defender Total secruity for half a year, which is the number 1 paid antivirus program out.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

Malwarebytes Premium should be all you need. If you're looking for free then I would recommend Avira.

Malwarebytes is an AV now

blackshades on

Malwarebytes is an AV now

https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/

"Anti-Malware/Anti-Spyware

Detects and eliminates malware your antivirus will miss."

I think we really need a sticky on this, or recommend software in general.  I feel like this question is asked too much.

That aside:

For free AV you should either get Avira or Bitdefender.  Bitdefender is more lightweight, but it doesn't give you many options in terms of control or how it works.

If you want a paid one then either Bitdefender or Kaspersky.  I would probably go with Kaspersky just for the fact that their team has found a lot of security issues in the past.  You can also check out AVTEST, a third-party company that rates AVs.  (Bitdefender and Kaspersky are the top 2)

https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/
"Anti-Malware/Anti-Spyware

Detects and eliminates malware your antivirus will miss."

Ever since the implementation of the realtime and web scanners Malwarebytes falls into the same category as your typical AntiVirus engines.

"Malware is a category of malicious code that includes viruses, worms, and Trojan horses."

Although Malwarebytes is ran by one of the best teams and the software reflects that.

I think we really need a sticky on this, or recommend software in general.  I feel like this question is asked too much.

That aside:

For free AV you should either get Avira or Bitdefender.  Bitdefender is more lightweight, but it doesn't give you many options in terms of control or how it works.

If you want a paid one then either Bitdefender or Kaspersky.  I would probably go with Kaspersky just for the fact that their team has found a lot of security issues in the past.  You can also check out AVTEST, a third-party company that rates AVs.  (Bitdefender and Kaspersky are the top 2)

If you feel like it's asked too much then why bother reading and replying to these posts? Not everyone agrees with your recommendations either.

Ever since the implementation of the realtime and web scanners Malwarebytes falls into the same category as your typical AntiVirus engines.

"Malware is a category of malicious code that includes viruses, worms, and Trojan horses."

Although Malwarebytes is ran by one of the best teams and the software reflects that.

"Detects and eliminates malware your antivirus will miss" Really seems like the developers intend this to be run alongside another antivirus program

"Detects and eliminates malware your antivirus will miss" Really seems like the developers intend this to be run alongside another antivirus program

It's another way of saying we'll pick up the slack where your AV leaves off.

Also works fine for virusses

so free avast is no good?

update:

according to AVTEST website, they gave AVAST FREE an excellent score, so I think I'll stick with it.