Can a 980 do anything a 970 can't?

I am looking at going to a 144hz 2560x1440 G-Sync monitor.  And I currently have a GTX670.  I understand $$ to fps ratios and all that.  I was looking at going with a GTX980 Hybrid from EVGA when they come out.

But my question is, would it gain me anything that a 970 wouldn't.  I can't really find a good answer to this, every comparison I found is only about FPS to FPS.  If the price didn't matter, would I still notice a difference?  Does the 980 offer some feature or option or something that the 970 doesn't have?  4k gaming is a non-issue, I would upgrade appropriately when the time came, and have little interest at this time anyways.

I don't have an issue waiting for an 8GB card, if that would even make a difference.  But assuming the price didn't matter, and assuming I only ever bought the one card.  Would it make any real noticeable user experience difference to get the 980 over the 970 when gaming and computing at 2560x1440 resolution?

**Please no fan boy wars about red team vs green team.

game at a higher FPS use 4gb of vram

Use 4GB vram  :lol:

RIG: CPU: i5 6600k @4.8GHz 1.34v  CPU Cooler: H100i  Motherboard: Asus Z170-AR  RAM: Corsair Vengence LPX 2400 (2x8GB)

HDD: Seagate Baracuda 2TB  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB/PNY 240GB  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970  PSU: EVGA G2 650W

Please use PcPartPicker, and paste the "BB" code when posting your build!

4 proper gb :D

My PC Specs: CPU: Core i5 4590 @ stock speeds, GPU: RX 480 8GB, RAM: 16GB DDR3 @1600mhz

Case: Zalman ZM-T4,Motherboard: GigaByte GA-H81M-S2H LGA 1150, HDD/SSD: 2TB Seagate Expansion drive, 1TB Samsung Portable HDD, 160gb Intel SSD, PSU: 550w corsair cxm

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

Have about $200 less in your wallet.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Feature-wise, the two are identical. The 980 is going to give you slightly better performance, and mostly it won't be noticeable at 1440p. The $200 difference isn't worth it. I'd rather wait and see if I can get a second 970 later for Crossfire, if they go on sale in the mid-$200 range. If I were you, at least.

A 980 can give you much larger e-peen status

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

I am looking at going to a 144hz 2560x1440 G-Sync monitor.  And I currently have a GTX670.  I understand $$ to fps ratios and all that.  I was looking at going with a GTX980 Hybrid from EVGA when they come out.

But my question is, would it gain me anything that a 970 wouldn't.  I can't really find a good answer to this, every comparison I found is only about FPS to FPS.  If the price didn't matter, would I still notice a difference?  Does the 980 offer some feature or option or something that the 970 doesn't have?  4k gaming is a non-issue, I would upgrade appropriately when the time came, and have little interest at this time anyways.

I don't have an issue waiting for an 8GB card, if that would even make a difference.  But assuming the price didn't matter, and assuming I only ever bought the one card.  Would it make any real noticeable user experience difference to get the 980 over the 970 when gaming and computing at 2560x1440 resolution?

**Please no fan boy wars about red team vs green team.

Basically if you are going 1440p @ 144hz = 2 x 970 or 1 x 980. 4K = recommended would be 2 x 980. 

If you are planning to 4K in the near future, I would recommend getting the 980 so that when you get the 4K monitor, all you need to do is just getting 1 more 980 to sli and you are ready to go. 

Personally I'm using 2 x 290x CF for 4K. Although it's good and awesome so far but the heat generated are ... speechless ... it's like sauna everyday in my room now ... 

Spoiler

[CPU] i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X61 [MOBO] Asus Z97-AR [Memory] HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3-1600 [Storage] Samsung 840 EVO 500GB & WD 1TB Black & Hitachi 1TB [GPU] Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming [Case] Corsair Air 540 [PSU] Cooler Master V1000 [Case Fan] Corsair SP140 LED Fan x 3 & SP120 LED Fan x 3 [Display] Main: Philips 31.5" FULL HD IPS | Side: Philips 28" 4K UHD [Keyboard] Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition [Mouse] Razer Ouroboros [Mouse Pad] Razer Firefly [Sound] BOSE Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System

If money isn't an object, why would you not just get the best card available, or buy the best card you can afford before money becomes an object? There is a marginal performance difference, the 980 will give you a few more FPS, but nothing spectacularly different.

Basically if you are going 1440p @ 144hz = 2 x 970 or 1 x 980. 4K = recommended would be 2 x 980. 

If you are planning to 4K in the near future, I would recommend getting the 980 so that when you get the 4K monitor, all you need to do is just getting 1 more 980 to sli and you are ready to go. 

Personally I'm using 2 x 290x CF for 4K. Although it's good and awesome so far but the heat generated are ... speechless ... it's like sauna everyday in my room now ... 

The 970 and 980 aren't different enough to compare a single GPU of one to SLI of the other. It's like comparing a 290 with a 290X. For 1440p, get one of either, and for 4K get two of either.

The heat is a massive negative against the 290X imo. I've been down this route before of heating my room with obscenely high TDP GPUs. Having to open your window in the middle of Winter because of heat is stupid, and in Summer it was just downright uncomfortable, and that's not even to mention the throttling which did happen at times. Playing at night when other people in the house were sleeping was not fun. Headphones were an absolute necessity because I couldn't hear my speakers over the fans without waking people up, and ultimately I couldn't use the cards to their full potential because the overclocking headroom was pretty non-existent because of the temperatures they reached.

High resolutions. I wouldn't use a 970 for anything over 1080p because of the VRAM problem :L

Hi , just moved to the MSI 970 card with Asus Mx27AQ Monitor1440p the card seems to smash most games @1440p ultra settings 70-80fps no AA (not needed)

I would save a few quid myself and go with 970 , the extra money is wasted in my opinion on 980

Lolzious you just got owned , please don't say something that is wrong when it don't help anyone .

A 980 can give you much larger e-peen status

does that mean i have two huge e-peens?

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

Besides being able to use a full 4gb gpu memory, GTX 980 would make sense if you OC the shit out of it compared to a GTX 970.

I love free stuff.

GTX 970 with pseudo 4gb vram at pseudo 224gb/s at pseudo  256-bit with 56 ROPs (corrected from 64) and 1.75mb L2 cache (corrected from 2mb).

@JustCallMeVlad has 4  :P

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

Feature-wise, the two are identical. The 980 is going to give you slightly better performance, and mostly it won't be noticeable at 1440p. The $200 difference isn't worth it. I'd rather wait and see if I can get a second 970 later for Crossfire, if they go on sale in the mid-$200 range. If I were you, at least.

Sli?

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

Yes, and a Titan X gives you 3. Common knowledge, no?  :D

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

lol....lol and wait for it.....lol. No you are not going to get better fps with more vram. Basically once you can't hit the requirement you run into issues. Having more than what you can use will not make your game run fast at all. At 1440p there is nothing you are going to be playing that a 970 won't have enough vram for anyway. Even at 4k. 

But of course you will get better fps because the 980 is faster.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

lol....lol and wait for it.....lol. No you are not going to get better fps with more vram. Basically once you can't hit the requirement you run into issues. Having more than what you can use will not make your game run fast at all. At 1440p there is nothing you are going to be playing that a 970 won't have enough vram for anyway. Even at 4k. 

But of course you will get better fps because the 980 is faster.

thats what i mean. should have added a period

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

thats what i mean. should have added a period

Well my fault then too, definitely thought you meant it's going to get higher fps because of 4gb. That would just be silly.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Well my fault then too, definitely thought you meant it's going to get higher fps because of 4gb. That would just be silly.

*cough* high resolutions *cough* 4k *cough*

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

*cough* high resolutions *cough* 4k *cough*

OP has 144hz 1440p gsync monitor *cough* lol