Toshiba 5TB SATA 6Gb/s 7200rpm ($149.99) @amazon

SirNumbers

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OP2PKH2/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00OP2PKH2&linkCode=as2&tag=o001b-20&linkId=3KU37KSOHU44CP54

• Perpendicular Magnetic Recording (PMR) Technology
  • Tunnel Magneto-Resistive (TMR) Recording Head Technology
  • Native Command Queuing (NCQ) Support
  • Read/Write cache for increased performance 128MB Cache
  • Low power consumption with adaptive power modes and Serial ATA DIPM

Its storage dayyyyy

Fedex Ground must be on Horse back, It took 7 days to go 200 miles

I just actually laughed at the 4TB being only $10 less. I really hope no one buys the 4TB, why is that even a thing. I need this though but I only have a few hundred dollars left to spend on stuff, and I'm cautious about what I need for my computer. Although storage is a big one...

what's the catch?

It's old technology trying to stay relevant.

CPU R7 1700    Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro  RAM  24GB Corsair LPX 3000 (at 2933Mhz)    GPU EVGA GTX1070 SC  Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M    

Storage 1 x 1TB m.2, 1x 500GB SSD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 8TB HDD  PSU Corsair RM1000  Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev B (tower)

Synology NAS 1 x 4TB 1 x 8TB

And succeeding brilliantly. 

@Andrewf Compatibility with some external enclosures could potentially be a problem with a 5TB drive.

There are benifets of HDD and always will be

Fedex Ground must be on Horse back, It took 7 days to go 200 miles

Anyone know how these compare the the competitors (WD and Seagate) 5tb drives?

toshiba .... will always be toshiba, i had too many problem with their hard drive .... but 5TB for that price isnt bad for someone who is looking for the bang for their buck !

There are benifets of HDD and always will be

Benefit(s)??? The only benefit is that it's cheaper. It's slower, larger, louder, hotter, more fragile, etc.
Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

out of stock :(

Rig

Spoiler

CPU: 4770k @ 4.2GHz 1.15v | Mobo: ASUS z87 Sabertooth | Cooler: Corsair H110 | RAM: Vengeance 32GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz | GPU: GIGABYTE G1 GTX 1070 | Storage: Samsung 840 series 250GB SSD, Seagate 2TB SSHD, Seagate 4.25TB HDD | PSU: Corsair AX850 80+ gold modu | Case: Corsair 650d | Keyboard: Corsair K65 RGB Cherry MX Reds & a Leopold 210TP Numberpad Cherry MX Blues | Mouse: Logitech G502, DECHANIC desk mat | Monitor: 2x Dell IPS 23" S2340m & ASUS 144hz 24" VG248QE | Speakers: CA-3602a | Headset: Steelseries Syberia v2 Frost Blue OS: Win 10 Pro 

• 3 weeks later...

i'd personally never buy a Hard Drive online... way too much risk in it being damaged in the transport process. Ever heard of never dropping a Hard Drive?? Good luck with that and FedEx or UPS or whoever...

well!!  that logic is a bit flawed.  How do you think stores like Microcenter or Best buy get their HDD supplies delivered?  I tell you one thing,  it's not on the back of a floating unicorn...that's for sure....LOL!!!

Benefit(s)??? The only benefit is that it's cheaper. It's slower, larger, louder, hotter, more fragile, etc.

It has a couple benefits that sad's don't have. They can be written to MUCH more heavily without wearing out, so they usually last longer. Also, while yes the disks are more fragile (though if you keep them stationary and limit vibrations you'll be fine), if your hard drive fails because of something aside from the disc you can recover the data. You can't do that with an ssd nearly as reliably. If a hard drive gets an unfortunate jolt of electricity it can be recovered. If an ssd gets that same jolt, the whole thing is fried. 

are you kidding? thats like saying whats the benefit of getting a Prius over a lambo. only cost. its slower, uglier, not as cool, ect. 

the cost is radically different 150$ for 5 TB, or that gets you just short of a 500gb ssd. there is a hell of a difference between those capacity last time i checked. so we are talking a just over 10x cost diffrence per gb, yet a only 3xish gain in perfomance? 

unless you want to pay 30 cents a gig to store massive backlogs of photos, pictures, movies, ect. hard drives will have a place until ssds are cheaper per gig. 

i'd personally never buy a Hard Drive online... way too much risk in it being damaged in the transport process. Ever heard of never dropping a Hard Drive?? Good luck with that and FedEx or UPS or whoever...

idk man. UPS handled my GTX 980 rather well. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

well!!  that logic is a bit flawed.  How do you think stores like Microcenter or Best buy get their HDD supplies delivered?  I tell you one thing,  it's not on the back of a floating unicorn...that's for sure....LOL!!!

Their shipments are handled a bit differently and IF they do receive a damaged package, box, or whatever they just refuse it and get sent another one... you on the other hand are stuck with it

are you kidding? thats like saying whats the benefit of getting a Prius over a lambo. only cost. its slower, uglier, not as cool, ect. 

the cost is radically different 150$ for 5 TB, or that gets you just short of a 500gb ssd. there is a hell of a difference between those capacity last time i checked. so we are talking a just over 10x cost diffrence per gb, yet a only 3xish gain in perfomance? 

unless you want to pay 30 cents a gig to store massive backlogs of photos, pictures, movies, ect. hard drives will have a place until ssds are cheaper per gig. 

The other guy gave another benefit. All you did was elaborate on what I said. It seems like you were trying to argue against my point, but all you did was support it.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

It has a couple benefits that sad's don't have. They can be written to MUCH more heavily without wearing out, so they usually last longer. Also, while yes the disks are more fragile (though if you keep them stationary and limit vibrations you'll be fine), if your hard drive fails because of something aside from the disc you can recover the data. You can't do that with an ssd nearly as reliably. If a hard drive gets an unfortunate jolt of electricity it can be recovered. If an ssd gets that same jolt, the whole thing is fried. 

The heavier writing is a good point. But your other point, which was data recovery, I wouldn't count that as a benefit. If you look at it, on either side, if the  actual storage medium dies(flash chip, magnetic disc), the drive is dead. You could recover data from a HDD if another component breaks, but SSD's don't even have that point of failure. So id say that's actually a benefit on the SSD's part, less points of failure.

The other guy gave another benefit. All you did was elaborate on what I said. It seems like you were trying to argue against my point, but all you did was support it.

I don't know, 10 times the capacity for a lower price seems like a pretty damn good argument against you. :P

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

I don't know, 10 times the capacity for a lower price seems like a pretty damn good argument against you. :P

Against me? I clearly stated that being cheaper is a benefit. So declaring that its 10 times cheaper is supporting me alot.

I ordered a WD Blue 1TB. It was shipped through USPS, and apparently they threw it on my porch. So loud that it woke up my sister and made my dog bark, it's been fine and I've had it since February. It really just depends on how well it was packed.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Against me? I clearly stated that being cheaper is a benefit. So declaring that its 10 times cheaper is supporting me alot.

Damn, I need to learn to read.

If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

Damn, I need to learn to read.

It might have been unclear, my my post was questioning the "s" in "benefits" since the only benefit I could think of was that it was cheaper.

It might have been unclear, my my post was questioning the "s" in "benefits" since the only benefit I could think of was that it was cheaper.

Ah. No, SSDs are better in just about every way than HDDs. That's really the only area that SSDs can't touch them in.

The argument is not over the current market status, but rather over inherent positives to each storage medium.