how many cores

hey i'm planning to build a pc but i don't know how many cores i should have. when i'm gaming i often have chrome, bandicam(as an fps counter), skype, spotify, steam and the game (of course) open.. i have looked at the i7 4790k as a sweetspot but i'm not sure if 4 cores will be enough tho. i'm allready at the top of my budget so please don't recomend a 2'000$ cpu please

whats your budget

and also...ignore how many cores a cpu has

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

An i5 4690K would be more than enough for what you need. I wouldn't recommend spending an extra $100 on the i7 4790K just for hyperthreading and a small clock speed advantage. Especially when the i5 4690K is unlocked and overclocks just as well.

i have a 4790k, and it can do twice what you've listed without even a hiccup.

hey i'm planning to build a pc but i don't know how many cores i should have. when i'm gaming i often have chrome, bandicam(as an fps counter), skype, spotify, steam and the game (of course) open.. i have looked at the i7 4790k as a sweetspot but i'm not sure if 4 cores will be enough tho. i'm allready at the top of my budget so please don't recomend a 2'000$ cpu please

The i7 will be best, as it has 4 cores and hyperthreading.

But something like an i5 4690K would work too, if you dont do any recording or rendering.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

The i7 will be best, as it has 4 cores and hyperthreading.

But something like an i5 4690K would work too, if you dont do any recording or rendering.

^^

Exactly correct

do a bit more research. Cores don't matter, benchmarks matter.

a Core I5 4690k would be more than capable of doing all those tasks at once.

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

For one there is not two thousand dollar cup out there on the market today. And two, cores don't really matter. And has a shit ton of cores but just because it has them, doesn't mean it can use them. Very few programs will use all of the 8 cores that some amd processors offer. For your purposes, you don't need the hyper threading that i7 offer so an i54690k would be enough for you which would probably help keep you under budget

Im so patriotic, I piss red white and blue. My doctor told me it was pancreatic cancer, I told him to SHUT HIS COMMIE MOUTH.

-A shotgun wielding redneck

For one there is not two thousand dollar cup out there on the market today. And two, cores don't really matter. And has a shit ton of cores but just because it has them, doesn't mean it can use them. Very few programs will use all of the 8 cores that some amd processors offer. For your purposes, you don't need the hyper threading that i7 offer so an i54690k would be enough for you which would probably help keep you under budget

There are plenty of 2000+ USD CPU's.

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/cpu/#sort=d7&page=1

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

4cores will be just fine for that kind of stuff.The i7 4790k is actually the one i can recommend for you but if you feel that its not enough get an amd fx 6300 with 6cores.

4cores will be just fine for that kind of stuff.The i7 4790k is actually the one i can recommend for you but if you feel that its not enough get an amd fx 6300 with 6cores.

I literally cannot tell if he is trolling.

| Intel i7 5820K @ 4.8GHz | G.Skill Ripjaws 4X4GB | X99 PRO | HoF 980 | Asus MX299Q | Sennheiser HD600 |

Those aren't for consumer use

I meant 2000$ CPUs meant for consumers

You did not say that, you said there were no 2000 USD CPU's.

ಠ_ಠ

You did not say that, you said there were no 2000 USD CPU's.

ಠ_ಠ

Sorry I didn not make myself clear.

Im so patriotic, I piss red white and blue. My doctor told me it was pancreatic cancer, I told him to SHUT HIS COMMIE MOUTH.

I literally cannot tell if he is trolling.

Come on he obviously trolls.

The 4790k will be much better at the multitasking and rendering. If you're going to have a lot of things up, or you're streaming, or editing videos and rendering them, you are going to want the 4790k. It's got hyperthreading, which allows it to spread the workload better and allow a minimal performance change when multi tasking and rendering.

The 4690k will perform just the same in almost every game, but the performance will lower with the more you have. If you have many programs enabled and you're recording or editing, the 4690k will be slightly slower than the 4790 would be. In your case, the 4690k would probably be sufficient because you don't seem to do much multitasking with intensive programs, and it should save you money for something else as well.

The amount of cores do not matter until you get into the insanely CPU intensive work. This would be like the motherload of video editing, or intense 3D Modelling. As long as you have a 4-core CPU for right now you should be fine.

So, I'd recommend the 4690k for your needs. What games do you play, though? I know a select few benefit from the 4790k, like the ARMA series.

I think that for the money that is the bert cpu on the market. If you want evan more performance just overclock it. 

As it was said abobe, the number of cores is not the "end all, tell all" for CPU performance. Since you are talking about general multitasking and not just gaming performance, you might want to do better than a 4690k. Though, in-game that CPU is a beast, in overall performance the 4690k of upper mid-range. Just look at this chart...

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

...and pick the highest CPU you can afford. With a $2000 budget, there's really no reason for not getting at least a 4790k. Or even a 5820k, since its only about $20 more.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k @ 4.6ghz, Cooling: NZXT Kraken x61(Push/Pull), MOBO: EVGA Z97 FTW, OS: Windows 10, RAM: 16gb EVGA SuperSC DDR3 2400, Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250gb + 500gb SSD, WD Black 1tb HDD, PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G1, Case: NZXT Phantom 530, GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 980 CLASSIFIED, Monitor: Seiki 39 inch, 1080p @ 120hz, 4k @ 30hz

Or this benchmark, since Futuremark is more focused on Gaming performance...

http://www.futuremark.com/hardware/cpu

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k @ 4.6ghz, Cooling: NZXT Kraken x61(Push/Pull), MOBO: EVGA Z97 FTW, OS: Windows 10, RAM: 16gb EVGA SuperSC DDR3 2400, Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250gb + 500gb SSD, WD Black 1tb HDD, PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G1, Case: NZXT Phantom 530, GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 980 CLASSIFIED, Monitor: Seiki 39 inch, 1080p @ 120hz, 4k @ 30hz

4 cores is more than enough for what you are doing w/intel.

i7-4790k is overkill for your usage.

I see many people are recommending the 4690k, but if you are not overclocking there is really no reason for a K chip.

If you want a great chip with no overclocking and you wont even need an aftermarket cooler... the i5-4440

i5-4440 is extremely powerful, you will not have a problem with its performance.

Do not consider this option. You want Intel with Hyperthreading... 6300 is 6 cores w/6 threads Intel is 4 cores w/8 threads. MUCH better for everything!

Edit:

I reread this and realized it could be taken incorrectly.

To clarify... the 4790k is 4 cores 8 threads which is EXTREMELY better than the FX-6300 which only has 6 cores 6 threads. ( I upgraded from a fx6300 to a 4790k and the difference is phenomenal)

My recommended minimum powered CPU you should use I said was the i5-4440 which is only 4 cores 4 threads, but still plenty powerful to do what you need.

The i5-4440 is not overclockable, so if you want to overclock then definitely get a K series, which allows for this.

Everyone is saying the i5-4690k, which is overclockable, but not hyper threaded... aka 4 cores 4 threads.

If you have the money for the i7-4790k then go for it! You will pretty much never see bottlenecking from this CPU, but remember that it is overkill, and you could probably save money (if you wanted to) by getting a lower CPU.

You most definitely do not need a better cpu than the i7-4790k.

If you are looking to save money and get a lower, but optimal CPU, I'd do some research and see what you will be happy with.

Hope this helps.

7800X3D - MSI B650 MAG Tomahawk - 32GB 6000mhz CL30 - Gigabyte 3080 TI - 2TB NVME - 1000w PSU - ID Cooling 240mm AIO

TBH, you could do with a dual core... I have chrome with pandora/youtube, steam, fraps, and a game open on my G3258 most of the time. Go with an i5 if you want to get the most out of your money though.

G3258 @ 4.5 | 8GB Team Vulcan RAM | 128GB Kingston V300 SSD (I didn't know what I was doing when I bought it) | MSI H81I Motherboard | Corsair H55 with Noctua NF-P12 | EVGA SSC GTX 960 4GB | OCZ 550W Fully Modular PSU with Noctua NF-A14 | Cooler Master Elite 130 (Soon to be something cool)

I can do all that with an i3

EDIT: not saying you should go with an i3. Just pointing out an i7 isn't needed for what you're doing

PC Audio Setup = Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 ohm and Sennheiser pc37x (also for xbox) hooked up to Schiit Fulla 3

i7 4790k or i5 4690k will do fine.

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.