PC build in a PS4 case

Guest Console Peasant
Go to solution Solved by Enderman,

an xbox, yes, a PS4, no

you can fit an ITX motherboard in a xbox, but the PS4 does not have enough room

you would need to use the next smallest thing, which is a raspberry pi

Hey guys, I'm Eihcal and I have a question to all you crazy modders.

I'm currently at my dads house and he has a great workshop in his shed where a great PC build could concur, however I'm not a great PC builder, in fact I only built my first official one yesterday, which I posted about here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/341776-my-first-pc-that-i-built/page-2#entry4656681

Anyway, youtube videos have really inspired me to get into PC building especially PCs in NES cases, PS3 cases and Xbox cases however when the PS4 released the case is really beautiful and I'm surprised noone attempted a build in it?!

I'm here to ask if anyone has seen a build in a PS4 case or if someone will? Because dammit if someone else doesn't I will, even though I suck at hardware. If someone plans to do a built in it please let me know i'd be very interested how it works out, because I think it'd be an awesome idea.

It is almost completely impossible to build a PC in a PS4 case. It took sony many years to figure out how to design and build it.

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

its a bit small...

ps4-vs-ps3-640x687.jpg

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

It is almost completely impossible to build a PC in a PS4 case. It took sony many years to figure out how to design and build it.

Not even with all the micro-parts we have available? That seems crazy.

There's some smart people on this forum.

I'm currently at my dads house and he has a great workshop in his shed where a great PC build could concur, however I'm not a great PC builder, in fact I only built my first official one yesterday, which I posted about here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/341776-my-first-pc-that-i-built/page-2#entry4656681

Anyway, youtube videos have really inspired me to get into PC building especially PCs in NES cases, PS3 cases and Xbox cases however when the PS4 released the case is really beautiful and I'm surprised noone attempted a build in it?!

I'm here to ask if anyone has seen a build in a PS4 case or if someone will? Because dammit if someone else doesn't I will, even though I suck at hardware. If someone plans to do a built in it please let me know i'd be very interested how it works out, because I think it'd be an awesome idea.

I don't think fitting an entire PC into a console is a project for somebody's 2nd ever PC build... It's not anywhere NEAR like your first build... Builds such as this have mods on top of mods you gotta make to make this happen.. Skill level is much harder than building in *any* size ATX case..

.. You have to fully re-work how the cooling works... You gotta create the cooling system, essentially. And don't forget, this isn't like building in an ATX where every part you could possibly need is sold on shelves.. NOTHING for this build is sold at stores, as you'll have to create most of custom parts it takes to create this build.

But uhh... Good luck!~

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

« Current PC ~ Phantom Beast »

.::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::.

I dont think even an ITX mobo will fit in there. but in a xbox should be much easier

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I don't think fitting an entire PC into a console is a project for somebody's 2nd ever PC build... It's not anywhere NEAR like your first build... Builds such as this have mods on top of mods you gotta make to make this happen.. Skill level is much harder than building in *any* size ATX case.

But uhh... Good luck!~

I think you're right, plus I don't have the funds for it right now,

maybe i'll do a more funtional case like the xbox one or the PS3, those still look alright.

I'm not even sure than an SFX psu will fit in there.

The Rig: NZXT H440 M3 (Green and Black) (Ncase M1 coming soon!!) | Intel Core i5-4690k x BeQuiet PureRock Slim | EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC  | ASUS H81i Plus | 12GB EVGA SSC @ 1600MHz | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Sandisk Ultra II 480GB | Corsair SF 450| LG 29" Ultrawide | CoolerMaster Quickfire Rapid TKL | Corsair M65 Black Sennheiser HD 558 (MOD) | Audio-Technica ATR 2500

Sony used very custom parts and a high tech vacuum cooling solution

The PSU is tiny and build into the back, same with the mobo an IO

Something we cannot do

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

I think you're right, plus I don't have the funds for it right now,

maybe i'll do a more funtional case like the xbox one or the PS3, those still look alright.

I know I'm right.. I've done it more than once before.. I'm not new to this game.

That's why I said what I said. Not because I'm guessing it'll be tough...

And I still don't think you understand wtf I was saying by saying that 2nd sentence.....

Long story short, you should just forget about this project until you've built 322 PCs and know how to custom change parts around, like re-soldering a motherboard, custom creating connections, attachments, mounting systems, cooling system... etc. It takes massive knowledge on each and every component of a PC inside & out. Not quite sure why I am even explaining this in such detail.

Either way, good luck with whatever you wanna do.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

« Current PC ~ Phantom Beast »

.::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::.

Actually if you can mold/3d print a case that looks like the PS4 case but it's actually bigger that'd still be a cool and much more realistic project.

Like just take the PS4 case and blow it up to the size of an itx case like the raven rvz01

-------

Current Rig

-------

an xbox, yes, a PS4, no

you can fit an ITX motherboard in a xbox, but the PS4 does not have enough room

you would need to use the next smallest thing, which is a raspberry pi

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

-SNIP-

There is a really good NES PC build by ungreedy where he used an external power brick type PSU from HDplex, there was also a Green PS4 build but I can't seem to find it. If your interested in doing a fair bit of modding then I don't see why you couldn't get it done.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/234249-nes-build-1985-2015-30th-anniversary-nes-30/

the ps4 is too small for it, remember, ps4 has an APU that means gpu and cpu in the same chip, and even the ram is in it, so it is a work for enginers, you can't just go and resolve differential equations without lube xD

Actually if you can mold/3d print a case that looks like the PS4 case but it's actually bigger that'd still be a cool and much more realistic project.

Like just take the PS4 case and blow it up to the size of an itx case like the raven rvz01

not bad, but that can't be me, I don't have the equipment for it

You would need to use the next smallest thing, which is a raspberry pie.

post-14986-0-79305600-1428212880.jpg

I'm not sure that that would work. :P JK

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Screw the PS4 go pimp wih a Ps2 slim!

Intel 5820K ¬ ASUS x99 Deluxe ¬ HyperX Predator 3000Mhz 16gb ¬ Gigabyte Titan X ¬ SuperFlow Leadex 850W ¬ Crucial Mx100 512Gb x2 RAID 0 ¬ NZXT H440 + HUE + X61 ¬ ASUS ROG Swift

Here's an easier idea turn the ps4 into a PC all you would need is windows a mouse and keyboard and boom you have a fully funtional PC that has the performance of a ps4 in a ps4

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

If anyone could do it, Ben Heck could.  His youtube channel.  He was famous for making portable versions of Xbox, SNES, etc, and has recently made a portable Xbox One.

---

First, check this PS4 Teardown , to see what tools you'll need and steps to follow.

---

If you have a broken PS4, and just want to use the outside case, you could basically gut the entire thing and use a Dremel (rotary tool) to cut out the holes that you need in the back.  For the motherboard, look for "thin mini ITX" (example newegg).  These "thin" variants usually use laptop SO-DIMMs, or 45-degree angle RAM slots.  Hardest part would be finding a good CPU cooler that fits in the profile.

You would also be limited to whatever video is built-into your motherboard or CPU - so the 3D performance won't be as good as a PS4.

For PSU, you could do an external power "brick" - there are many mini-ITX projects that do this.

---

alternatively, if you have a small laptop with a broken screen (or buy from eBay) - you could just take that completely apart, and mount it in the PS4 case - many laptops will run just fine without the battery, and as long as you can get HDMI and USB pointing to the rear, it should work.  You'd have to remove any large metal parts inside the plastic PS4 case if you want to use the laptop Wifi/Bluetooth effectively.  If you are using wired ethernet, metal shielding won't be an issue.

Some laptops might have a "lid closed" detector/switch that would force it to always output to the external display.  If you can hard-wire this to the "closed" positiion, it should always go to external display without needing to hit a keyboard shortcut (such as Flag+P).

---

GO FOR IT!

(if you have a broken PS4 that is not fixable by warranty)

• 11 months later...
On 4/5/2015 at 0:54 AM, Guest Console Peasant said:

I DID IT!! kinda...The "BS4" not by Sony

The only thing which comes to my mind is using a Laptop Motherboard. If you take one from a 15" laptop it should fit. Plus all the cooling is already there.

On 4/5/2015 at 5:32 PM, themaniac said:

Here's an easier idea turn the ps4 into a PC all you would need is windows a mouse and keyboard and boom you have a fully funtional PC that has the performance of a ps4 in a ps4

10/10 would build worse PC again