NES build 1985-2015 30TH anniversary " NES 3.0"(completed final pics!)

ungreedy

AvxV4of.png

First time posting here, so Hi every one! I hope you enjoy this build. This will be my first custom case mod. I have always wanted to build a custom nes pc since the first one i have seen. With all the new parts that have come out recently I think this puppy will be quite a little beast. My uncle just gave me a broken nes a week ago and i can't stop thinking about how I'm going to build this thing. I'm Going to go to microcenter or just order my Pentium 20th anniversy G3258 and motherboard in the next couple weeks ,so i can start fabricating .My goal for the build is to keep it as clean as possible on the outside, not a bunch of holes everywhere.Custom paint kinda a modern twist on a nes.Any thoughts and suggestions about cpu cooler and case cooling are a plus trying to find something other than the noctua cooler, it just does not fit my theme i had in mind(more red and black) I'll keep posting pics and update as soon as things happen. so until then later!

IMG_20141016_204519_zpsl6ycwl3g.jpg

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i 57.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($40.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: ASRock H97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($87.98 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card  ($148.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Other: 1985 Nintendo (Purchased For $0.00)
Other: HDPlex (Purchased For $85.00)
Total: $749.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-25 21:57 EDT-0400

I would be glad to help with the CPU cooler, what is the height limitation? Worst case you could just replace the fan on the NH-L9i

Not sure on the height limit yet until i get my motheboard installed. But just guessing probably around 45-50mm max so the fan still has room to work decent. going to try to go with a pico 200w psu for space limitations and would open up some area on the bottom for 3 60mm case fans.I would like to get some decent overclocks on the cpu.

wish you did this back in july, huh? back when all that would have costed aroung 500 xD

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

wish you did this back in july, huh? back when all that would have costed aroung 500 xD

Wish i did ! I was broke with all the summer activities with my family any how. I should be able to get better deals than the ones listed in partpicker. The only things i need right now are my motherboard and cpu so i can start mocking this thing up! I'll be patient and wait for deals because I am in no way or form rich lol .

Well i changed my motherboard choice I did not like the orange slots on the gigabyte, it did have all the features i wanted just did not fit my theme of red and black .So i picked out the MSI H97I AC no mSATA port on it but not a deal breaker I guess. If some one here can find me a better board ether all black or black and red for around $100 range that would be great,  wifi is a must and mSATA port is a plus .I am going to wait until next Sunday to pull the trigger on my motherboard. 

Wish i did ! I was broke with all the summer activities with my family any how. I should be able to get better deals than the ones listed in partpicker. The only things i need right now are my motherboard and cpu so i can start mocking this thing up! I'll be patient and wait for deals because I am in no way or form rich lol .

i wish i had become smart about tech instead of just tinkering around back then.... i would have had a badass rig before i blew all my money. xD

sadly, and happily, i cant think of any better motherboard. however, im with you on aiting till sunday. :D

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

Well just got a sweet deal on my cpu shipped !! $55 bucks not bad at all,cheapest cpu i have ever bought .pretty excited to get this going.

ordercpu_zps8900e34b.png

damn! :D sweet!

-Jim Hensen

Well just got a sweet deal on my cpu shipped !! $55 bucks not bad at all,cheapest cpu i have ever bought .pretty excited to get this going.

ordercpu_zps8900e34b.png

it was 47 at frys a month ago....

Did some disassembling tonight. I was surprised on how well the shell cleanup. Kinda a shame to paint it but its getting done any way! :P   Also did some more research and narrow my motherboard down to the Asus H97I-PLUS, what changed my mind was on the msi the cpu would of sat to close to the gpu and was scared of the heat sink hitting it.still going to wait one week to see if i can get a deal on it.

IMG_20141018_204825_zpscpyod23v.jpg

IMG_20141018_204835_zpsnny1prrj.jpg

What do you guys think of deleting the reset button ? some thing I dont really ever use on a pc. My photoshop skills are not the best  :mellow: Also would be done in red and black just dont have the skills to pull it off in photoshop,

smoothnes_zps56e7b7db.png

What do you guys think of deleting the reset button ? some thing I dont really ever use on a pc. My photoshop skills are not the best  :mellow: Also would be done in red and black just dont have the skills to pull it off in photoshop,

-snip-

Keep the Reset button at least for aesthetics...

I would refresh the paint and leave the outside as close to original as possible. I vote for keeping the reset button even if it's just for aesthetics. You could always wire it up for another function as well. You could probably also make the plugs for the controller a couple of USB 3.0 ports as well.

I would refresh the paint and leave the outside as close to original as possible. I vote for keeping the reset button even if it's just for aesthetics. You could always wire it up for another function as well. You could probably also make the plugs for the controller a couple of USB 3.0 ports as w

going to keep the reset button my mock up did not grow on me like I thought it would ,The controller ports are gone, smoothed out(still a separate piece so i can two tone the paint) ,completely wireless! will have usb and maybe fan control under the cartridge door :P

I would refresh the paint and leave the outside as close to original as possible. I vote for keeping the reset button even if it's just for aesthetics. You could always wire it up for another function as well. You could probably also make the plugs for the controller a couple of USB 3.0 ports as w

going to keep the reset button my mock up did not grow on me like I thought it would ,The controller ports are gone, smoothed out(still a separate piece so i can two tone the paint) ,completely wireless! will have usb and maybe fan control under the cartridge door :P

It would've looked more awsome with the USB ports at the controller ports imo...

It would've looked more awsome with the USB ports at the controller ports imo...

Or if he wanted to keep them get some old dead controllers, remove the controller part of it and make a breakout cable. Best of both worlds.

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

The controller port is a cheap piece to buy. I'll do it both ways, if I have ports they will be funutional.this is going to be a htpc/emulator box. So I don't plan to hook really any thing up to if its not wireless.going to try and fit a Xbox 360 wireless module in the nes .

update,,,Got my cpu!!  i just order my motherboard ASRock H97M-ITX/ac ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157526 ) as you can see I'm going to change my theme colors to black and blue. do to the fact I'm also going to get the galaxy gtx 750 ti slim and it has a blue pcb. also ordered a couple 70mm case fans. Going to start modding the case tomorrow hopefully ,would like to get the bottom dremeled out and my motherboard tray made.

IMG_20141024_185645_zpsjhef4rmw.jpg

Spent $80 at home depot today on just material, did not think i was going to spend that much lol. Ok well i dremeled the bottom out and sanded it, what a pain it the but that was and got my motherboard tray made and epoxied on. its very very stong now thanks to the lexan and epoxy.Coming out decent so far i will have to sand down some excess epoxy and get some more epoxy to fill the holes on the side, so I can flush out the bottom of the case with bondo! I hope i can get this part done with before I get my motherboard in. here is so pic of the process.

IMG_20141025_153743_zpsuoinmfpv.jpg

IMG_20141025_163300_zpshinqngf4.jpg

IMG_20141025_194747_zps7tszyioo.jpg

IMG_20141025_200410_zpszkaq01jp.jpg

IMG_20141025_200334_zpswmazdyte.jpg

I'm very interested in how this will turn out. Quick question though, what PSU will you use? I'm assuming some kind of external or SFX.