I've been struck with the Cryptowall 3.0 virus HELP!

TallOne123

What's the extent of the damage? I lost around 55 movies out of the 275 I had total, all my music, and I'm still assessing the scope of the damage on my 3tb drive that holds all my anime. For some reason, only my mp4 movies (windows media player) seem to be encrypted but my mkv movies (windows media player CLASSIC) are safe. 

Did you back up your files? Sadly, no. I'll let this be a learning experience or something.

Is your system protected? I'm only using malwarebytes anti malware to protect my pc. I ran malwarebytes again and had it quarantine and delete some trojans. 

What are you doing now? So far, I'm trying to redownload most of the movies I lost to minimize my losses. 

What are your specific questions? 

1.Some of the files I've lost are pretty hard to find on the internet. Is it possible to decrypt the files now using some third party software?

2.How can I make sure that my computer is clean? I've went around my pc deleting those HELP_DECRYPT files everywhere and ran malwarebytes again, but I'm still not sure I got rid of it 100%

Is crypto wall that one where there encrypt your files and wants you to pay for a key?

If so, there is no way to decrypt them unless you get the key from them

Also don't download malicious thangs m8

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

Try downloading a demo version of Norton Anti-virus or their Power Eraser (it's Norton's anti-malware tool)

CPU - i5-8400 , Motherboard - ASROCK Z370 Killer SLI, RAM - 2x8 GB DDR4 2400mhz , GPU - EVGA GTX 950 SC, Case - SilentiumPC PAX M70 Pure Black V2 Storage - 240GB SanDisk SSD, 1TB WD Blue, PSU - bequite! 600w Pure Power 10, Display - Dell P2417H, Cooling - bequiet! Pure Rock, Keyboard - Viper V730, Mouse - natec Genesis G55, Sound - Philips MCD712, OS - Windows 10 Professional 64-bit

#FormatEverything

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Try downloading a demo version of Norton Anti-virus or their Power Eraser (it's Norton's anti-malware tool)

You're kidding right?

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Won't work, the files are already encrypted

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

If it were me, I'd backup the remains and format. I'd be paranoid there's still crap left over from it.

Things you can do before that:

-Malwarebytes Full Scan

-Windows Defender Full Scan

-Microsoft Malicious Software Full Scan

Hopefully you definitely learned your lesson about having files backed up.

CPU  5820k - 4.0GHz @ 1.27V  |  MOBO X99-Pro  |  RAM 16GB Ballistic @ 2133MHz  |  PSU HX750i 

COOLING  Kraken X61 - 6x NF-A14 iPPC  |  DRIVES  256GB 950 Pro - 2x 1TB Travelstar - 1x 1TB WD Black

GPU  EVGA GTX980 SC |  CASE  R5  |  OS  Win 8.1 Pro  |  MISC   Cablemod C-Series White Set

You're kidding right?

why?

If you're running Malwarebytes Anti-Malware free version than you DON"T have real time protection

CPU - i5-8400 , Motherboard - ASROCK Z370 Killer SLI, RAM - 2x8 GB DDR4 2400mhz , GPU - EVGA GTX 950 SC, Case - SilentiumPC PAX M70 Pure Black V2 Storage - 240GB SanDisk SSD, 1TB WD Blue, PSU - bequite! 600w Pure Power 10, Display - Dell P2417H, Cooling - bequiet! Pure Rock, Keyboard - Viper V730, Mouse - natec Genesis G55, Sound - Philips MCD712, OS - Windows 10 Professional 64-bit

why?

If you're running Malwarebytes Anti-Malware free version than you DON"T have real time protection

-.-

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

why?

Norton is one of the shittiest anti-virus software available, they should get Avast or AVG instead.

Norton is one of the shittiest anti-virus software available, they should get Avast or AVG instead.

Avast sucks....my sister used Avast and when I downloaded Malwarebytes Anti-Malware it found 15 (!) trojans...so for me Avast is the shittiest anti-virus

Bitdefender beats Norton, Avast, and AVG. Bitdefender also happens to have a free version available for use.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

You need to use an antivirus as well as malwarebytes

install AVG free, which will scan anything you download to prevent you getting viruses in the future

antivirus+malwarebytes is what you need to keep your PC safe, they do two different things

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Avast sucks....my sister used Avast and when I downloaded Malwarebytes Anti-Malware it found 15 (!) trojans...so for me Avast is the shittiest anti-virus

I have been using avast for over 4 years, and have never had much of a problem with viruses, maybe 5 or so total, though that was mainly my fault.

As long as its activated and running it will protect your system, also helps to not be downloading shady shit or going to shady websites.

I have been using avast for over 4 years, and have never had much of a problem with viruses, maybe 5 or so total, though that was mainly my fault.

As long as its activated and running it will protect your system, also helps to not be downloading shady shit or going to shady websites.

Well like I wrote: it was my sister ;) The generation that only knows how to use Facebook and start up a computer :P

You need to use an antivirus as well as malwarebytes

install AVG free, which will scan anything you download to prevent you getting viruses in the future

antivirus+malwarebytes is what you need to keep your PC safe, they do two different things

I stopped using AVG after it wouldn't update. For free anti-virus I recommend Avast! (but don't forget to turn up the security settings)

I stopped using AVG after it wouldn't update. For free anti-virus I recommend Avast! (but don't forget to turn up the security settings)

But I thought avast sucks... xD

Bitdefender, kaspersky and Norton are the 3 best antivirus programs so don't say Norton sucks, it doesn't...

• 2 weeks later...

Kasperski has released a tool to help decrypt your files (I know this is an old post but I just wanted to put this put there)

Kasperski has released a tool to help decrypt your files (I know this is an old post but I just wanted to put this put there)

Not a problem, thanks for the post. It'd probably help others who were hit by the virus.

So... How did you even get that virus anyway? Downloaded something you shouldn't have?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

What's the extent of the damage? I lost around 55 movies out of the 275 I had total, all my music, and I'm still assessing the scope of the damage on my 3tb drive that holds all my anime. For some reason, only my mp4 movies (windows media player) seem to be encrypted but my mkv movies (windows media player CLASSIC) are safe. 

Did you back up your files? Sadly, no. I'll let this be a learning experience or something.

Is your system protected? I'm only using malwarebytes anti malware to protect my pc. I ran malwarebytes again and had it quarantine and delete some trojans. 

What are you doing now? So far, I'm trying to redownload most of the movies I lost to minimize my losses. 

What are your specific questions? 

1.Some of the files I've lost are pretty hard to find on the internet. Is it possible to decrypt the files now using some third party software?

2.How can I make sure that my computer is clean? I've went around my pc deleting those HELP_DECRYPT files everywhere and ran malwarebytes again, but I'm still not sure I got rid of it 100%

Exactly what i had in mind

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2462280/cryptolocker-decrypted-researchers-reveal-website-that-frees-your-files-from-ransomware.html

Cryptowall is probably a variant of Cryptolock, but if you're not going to get the locked data back, then it's worth the risk.

I'd still be very worried about remnants of the virus though.

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit