GTA V Supporting Vulkan API (Roy doesnt know what he talking about)

TwistedDictator

Here

And here's some more in that vein:

Mantle simply would not run on anything but GCN... except of course if you made it run on anything but GCN, as AMD was planning to since 2013.

http://techreport.com/news/25651/mantle-to-power-15-frostbite-games-dice-calls-for-multi-vendor-support

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/amds-mantle-does-not-require-gpus-with-gcn-architecture/

Those plans did not come to fruition, probably because of resistance from Nvidia. Instead that development took place after Mantle was "forked" by Khronos.

No, its pretty much universally agreed that AMD never had any real plans of making Mantle cross-platform. 

And i am talking about Mantle in its current state, in what we have. I do not care about AMD promising openness, and cross platform, because it does not exist, and probably never will.

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

No, its pretty much universally agreed that AMD never had any real plans of making Mantle cross-platform. 

And i am talking about Mantle in its current state, in what we have. I do not care about AMD promising openness, and cross platform, because it does not exist, and probably never will.

As I've always replied to any discussion about mantle.

"Mantle is coming"

126097vfib2m54d0.jpg

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Cross-platform is a completely different topic. This is about making it a cross-architecture API, which was clearly both possible and planned. But there were obviously some obstacles there, so letting Khronos take that next step is logical.

Cross-platform is a completely different topic. This is about making it a cross-architecture API, which was clearly both possible and planned. But there were obviously some obstacles there, so letting Khronos take that next step is logical.

Thats what i meant. Clearly its not planned, given that 

however AMD’s broader plans to also release a Mantle SDK to allow full access, particularly allowing iit to be implemented on other hardware, has been shelved. In place of that AMD is refocusing Mantle on being a “graphics innovation platform” to develop new technologies.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9036/amd-lays-out-future-of-mantle-changing-direction-in-face-of-dx12-and-glnext

Here you can see both AMD's true intention of never releasing it, as well as NV's inability to do anything to have it run on its hardware. Now shut the fuck up and stop making yourself look retarded.

Good bye, ive made my point

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Question: Will Vulkan come to older versions of Windows that don't get DX12? Maybe that's why they did it. That or it's an april fools gag. Hard to tell.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Thats what i meant. Clearly its not planned, given that 

Here you can see both AMD's true intention of never releasing it, as well as NV's inability to do anything to have it run on its hardware. Now shut the fuck up and stop making yourself look retarded.

Good bye, ive made my point

You haven't. All that quote says is that their plans changed. For plans to be shelved, plans first have to exist. So you've just provided further proof of my point.

You haven't. All that quote says is that their plans changed. For plans to be shelved, plans first have to exist. So you've just provided further proof of my point.

*facepalm* 

Someone else, please explain to him ho he is an idiot... @patrickjp93 @Victorious Secret @Kloaked @LAwLz because he is making me really angry right now

Vulkan could be great since less driver dependencies -> better linux support for games,with current drivers its not even worth considering linux,or installing.

Don't expect GTA V on Linux... But it may work with wine and in that case yea def use Vulkan.

I hope Vulkan does take off though, especially for multiplat.

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

No it's basically openGL with a new name.

Just to clarify for those who may get the wrong idea- Vulkan is technically speaking a fresh start and nothing to do with previous versions of openGL. Just that's it's being made by the same consortium- khronos, with their usual principles of having one API which can be used on any OS and any vendor hardware.

Question: Will Vulkan come to older versions of Windows that don't get DX12? Maybe that's why they did it. That or it's an april fools gag. Hard to tell.

That's correct: Unlike DX12 it won't require windows 10. This is a good point because some people forget that not all of us might necessarily want to upgrade to 10 right away, it's not only for the crazy linux kids and Gabe's vendetta.

-------

Current Rig

-------

That's correct: Unlike DX12 it won't require windows 10. This is a good point because some people forget that not all of us might necessarily want to upgrade to 10 right away, it's not only for the crazy linux kids and Gabe's vendetta.

But, do you really think Khronos will bother with <7? I mean, does oGL4.5 support anything before 7? nope, just like DX11. They usually aim for feature and "requirements" parity with DX, while adding cross platform support for a few Linux kernels and OSX

Question: Will Vulkan come to older versions of Windows that don't get DX12?

Yes it should. I believe it's upto AMD, NVIDIA and Intel to release GPU drivers for the old operating systems to enable vulkan.

If we look for a parallel in the openGL world; dosn't windows XP have the newer versions of openGL despite not getting the newer versions of DirectX?

But, do you really think Khronos will bother with <7? I mean, does oGL4.5 support anything before 7? nope, just like DX11. They usually aim for feature and "requirements" parity with DX, while adding cross platform support for a few Linux kernels and OSX

They would be idiots to ignore the single OS with the biggest install base for gamers right now. Of course they could be idiots about it and kill their adoption rate, but still one would assume they wouldn't be.

-------

Current Rig

-------

They would be idiots to ignore the single OS with the biggest install base for gamers right now. Of course they could be idiots about it and kill their adoption rate, but still one would assume they wouldn't be.

we are talking about big corporations here :'D i also assume they would support 7 (since a subset of DX12 will as well). but with big companies/consortiums, one never knows

Edit, i just rememebered. with oGL (i assume it will be the same with vulcan) the engine's implementation of the open API had to support the OS. It wasnt dependant on the API itself. so i guess that if UE4, Unity and other big engines decide to support 7 with their Vulcan implementation, then they will

This vulkan thing is very significant for the industry. It's not just about Linux, it's also about windows, and OSX, and IOS, and android, consoles, industrial applications... Plus all the benefits of mantle/DX12 without being tied to an OS or a hardware vendor. Development has been fast and game devs as well as the GPU makers have got involved. Really think Linus should stop ignoring it- he should spread the word. It has huge potential to be a unifying force against graphics API fragmentation. it's more important to the world than Mantle or DX12 and yet those are given more coverage. We already know that unreal 4, unity, source 2, frostbite will support vulkan.

AMD never intended on releasing Mantle that way. They just wanted to stroke their ego and make it look like they did something on their own (AMD, Intel, Nvidia and MS have been working on DX12 for a long, long time; AMD just HAD to go at it on their own because why not)

The day Kronos got access was the day Mantle died. Who gives a shit about Mantle and OpenGL when DX12, the actual standard, is here? Linux fanboys of course will get their jollies wet at the notion that Vulkan will actually be something, while the rest of us who live in reality know that a standard thats backed by far more companies and is going to actually be implemented will win out. 

Oh, did you know that Intel requested access to Mantle and AMD said no? Why would AMD deny Intel that access to a graphics API? Why would AMD deny access period? Does MS say "No, you can't have Direct X so fuck off"? No, they don't. They make it and put it out there for the entire world to use. Mantle was NEVER going to get that treatment. 

AMD can barely stay in business while selling graphics cards. Maybe they should fix up their financials and develop a core that is rock solid before they try and lecture other companies on what standards to follow. 

Who gives a shit about Mantle and OpenGL when DX12, the actual standard, is here? Linux fanboys of course will get their jollies wet at the notion that Vulkan will actually be something, while the rest of us who live in reality know that a standard thats backed by far more companies and is going to actually be implemented will win out.

The fact that you use the term 'linux fanboy' shows that you are misinformed about vulkan's scope. It will be take over on apple IOS and Android just like openGL ES is big now. It will also be the defacto API on apple OSX and Linux desktop. DX12 will be dominant on XBox and windows mobile. On windows desktop directX12 and vulkan will probably share a presence as we know that unity, unreal 4, frostbite, nitrous will have builds for both APIs and source 2 will use vulkan on all platforms.

In that case, can we just agree to disagree?

Disagreements generally require both sides of the argument have some validity. You don't. AMD never really intended to release the necessary development materials to the members of Khronos, only provide a proof of concept. Cross-architecture would make it cross-platform.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Well at least Microsoft should make an effort to change the documentation no?

No...

-snip-

And don't make me start on what DX12/Vulkan features is being emulated on NVIDIA latest GPUs (Maxwell - yeah the las) while AMD has dedicated hardware for the tasks, yeah even 2012 cards have more hardware support then the late 2014 architecture of NVIDIA... yeah for someone claiming they were working on DX12 for 4 years they seem to be falling short on it.

But hey, you gotta follow NVIDIA Marketing right? Amen Lawd!

I don't get why there's still people in denial when everything is outthere since early 2014 (yeah at GDC)... all of the love of NVIDIA - this is a case study material lol.

I replied to some of your questions.

There are only rumors about Nvidia's tier of support. It's also entirely possible for Nvidia to be waiting to release DX 12 drivers until much closer to the launch of Windows 10 where it would be useful.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

There are only rumors about Nvidia's tier of support. It's also entirely possible for Nvidia to be waiting to release DX 12 drivers until much closer to the launch of Windows 10 where it would be useful.

They could even delay it until an actual DX12 game is coming out right?

They could even delay it until an actual DX12 game is coming out right?

Potentially

Disagreements generally require both sides of the argument have some validity. You don't. AMD never really intended to release the necessary development materials to the members of Khronos, only provide a proof of concept. Cross-architecture would make it cross-platform.

Oh, right. My argument is invalid because... you said so. Great. I think I'll just let this circle jerk do its thing.

Oh, right. My argument is invalid because... you said so. Great. I think I'll just let this circle jerk do its thing.

nope, because you have been proven wrong by independet articles, as well as industry knowledge ;) and yet you continued to argue, until even more people told you to stop.

nope, because you have been proven wrong by independet articles, as well as industry knowledge ;) and yet you continued to argue, until even more people told you to stop.

At least when you and I bickered it was on principle ;)