Tips for beginner photographers

Hey guys,

I have just recently bought a dSLR (Canon EOS 1100D / Rebel T3) and I love it. But I am starting to lose inspiration of what to shoot. Can you guys give me some tips. All help is welcome.

Learn about the relationship between aperture, shutter speed, and ISO. These three things determine your exposure, and when you understand how they work you can make better images.

learn how to use the techincal part of your camera, that includes iso, shutter speed, aperture, white balance, and so on. afterward, spend more time focusing on the artistic side of photography such as composition, colour selection, and so on, by this time you should already start to know what type of photography do you like and there are a lot of types and so I suggest you spend some time researching on that.

personally i love macro shots so...yeah anything close up can be turned into something fascinating ( well exceptions apply, lol )

I love Macro too.

Find out what you like to shoot, and then do that. For me it's cars in particular. :)

I really like Macro shots and I like to take photos of people.

I really like Macro shots and I like to take photos of people.

Get yourself a speedlight and a wireless trigger, once you start learning how to control light everything starts to fall into place especially for macro and portrait work, heaps of fun too if you're running out of inspiration at the moment. Have a look at Yongnuo's, basically knock offs of the Canon flashes, not as good in terms of build or reliability but at 10% of the price they are worth the money, I have a couple as back ups.

In my opinion the best Canon lens for both portrait and macro is the 100mm f/2.8 macro non L, very sharp and at half the price there isn't really much difference between it and the L version apart from IS. The focal length may be a little long on a crop sensor, best to head down to a camera shop and try it out to see how you feel about it, but it's an EF so if you do decide to upgrade to a full frame in the future you can carry this over.

Find out what you like to shoot, and then do that. For me it's cars in particular. :)

-snip-

What are your settings for the last two photos?

If you want to learn about flash, one of the best places to go is David Hobby's blog www.Strobist.com

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

What are your settings for the last two photos?

If you want to learn about flash, one of the best places to go is David Hobby's blog www.Strobist.com

1/20th, Canon 70-200 f/4.0 @ 200mm & f/4.0. 5D Mark II.

1/20th, Canon 70-200 f/4.0 @ 200mm & f/4.0. 5D Mark II.

FTW? How did you get the car frozen at 1/20?

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

I lot of unsharp shots of course, but the ones that turned out good turned out reaaaaaally good! :D So luck pretty much. ^^

Like almost everyone said, get to know your camera.
once you do you can start to experiment with light, I wouldn't directly go for a speedlight because they are expensive.
Maybe a cheaper variant or even a desk light you have somewhere will be plenty to start with.
And of course take that camera everywhere you go. Practice makes perfect. Shoot A LOT! with every shot you make you'll get better at it.
When professional photographers have an exhibition they chose about 50 or so great pictures, but they go through thousands of them. don't think every shot you make has to be perfect.

Maybe you could post some pictures you took here for us to admire them?  :)

Core i7 2600  Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3  EVGA GTX 970 FTW  16Gb 1600Mhz G.SKILL

Samsung 500Gb 840EVO RAID0 Random 80GB HDD Corsair GS700 Corsair ArticWhite C70

• 5 weeks later...

I recently watched this video to get some tips its cheesy but they do work

I would also recommend checking work from people taking the same kind of picture for inspiration.

DRTV FTW lol to me their the top gear of cameras lol

FTW? How did you get the car frozen at 1/20?

If you pan with the car, you can 'freeze' the car but still have movement. Takes a lot of skill and luck though to nail it.

My advice to the op is to look at other people's work. Flickr,500px are good sources. By recognizing good work you will be more critical of your own work.

CPU AMD Ryzen 2700 X / Motherboard  / RAM 4 x 4GB  / GPU Zotac 1080Ti Amp Edition / Case Fractal Design Meshify C / Storage Samsung 850 PRO / 1TB WD Black & 2TB WD Green / PSU / Cooling Noctua / Keyboard Ducky Shine 2 / Mouse Logitech G700 / Sound O2 Amp/DAC & Audioengine A5+ speakers