LGBT community

carguy86
9 hours ago, Volbet said:

Because it would be a massive undertaking to replace every and all things that display imperial units? 

You don't have to replace everything right away. Start small, and work your way up. Road distance sign distances are the item of least priority.

Start teaching the kids metric. That is the number 1 priority!

Make a law that all new vehicles sold in that country in 5 years time are in kilometres per hour, and kilometres travelled. 

Make a milestone (yay, an outdated saying), that you have replaced all the Mi/h speed signs with dual information, km/h and Mi/h speed signs in the next 5 years.

Make a law that food packaging must have a metric weight on them, and if you are really courageous, require them also to require them to display energy in kilojoules, instead of kilocalories.

Require temperature in Centigrade in the News, they'll likely also included fahrenheit, until they deem it as redundant.

There's a lot of work ahead, however, it's worth it. It helps communication with the rest of the world, and it's easier to convert, plus there is order, and structure to everything.

5 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

You don't have to replace everything right away. Start small, and work your way up. Road distance sign distances are the item of least priority.

Make a law that all new vehicles sold in that country in 5 years time are in kilometres per hour, and kilometres travelled. 

Make a milestone (yay, an outdated saying), that you have replaced all the Mi/h speed signs with dual information, km/h and Mi/h speed signs in the next 5 years.

Make a law that food packaging must have a metric weight on them, and if you are really courageous, require them also to require them to display energy in kilojoules, instead of kilocalories.

Require temperature in Centigrade in the News, they'll likely also included fahrenheit, until they deem it as redundant.

There's a lot of work ahead, however, it's worth it. It helps communication with international speakers, and it's easier to convert, plus there is order, and structure to everything.

How about no. 

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

16 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

There's a lot of work ahead, however, it's worth it. It helps communication with international speakers, and it's easier to convert, plus there is order, and structure to everything.

While that is certainly doable we do have to ask ourselves if it's really worth the effort. 

It's not like the imperial system is complete and utter anarchy. While the system is not in base ten, it's still a system. 

Also, it's not that difficult to do metric to imperial conversions (and vice versa). Most of it is quite basic math, which an international audience should be more than capable of doing. 

Like, it's not like everything in Continental Europe is strictly measured in metric measurements anyway. There are certain things that are measured in imperial units and most people can do calculations from one to the other on the fly. 

Fahrenheit being the obvious outlier. Fahrenheit can go fuck itself. 

Doing calculations from pounds to grams can also be a bit tricky, but that's mostly down to "pound" not being a strict standard,

For example, a British and American pound is 453.59 grams, a Nordic pound was anywhere between 471-498 grams and a Germanic pound is about 560 grams. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

lol As far as i'm concerned: Temp fits in Celsius, Distance, carpentry, construction, weight, speed, etc fits more in imperial. Small measurements are better in mm, metric is easier in conversion

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

43 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

There's a lot of work ahead, however, it's worth it. It helps communication with the rest of the world, and it's easier to convert, plus there is order, and structure to everything.

The problem with this is that we would be literally fixing something that isn't broken.  I pay taxes, and this would be a waste of that money.

Although I agree that our youth should learn metric.

10 minutes ago, Volbet said:

While that is certainly doable we do have to ask ourselves if it's really worth the effort. 

I'd say that an over time migration is worth it.

It's not like the imperial system is complete and utter anarchy. While the system is not in base ten, it's still a system. 

Yes, there are some patterns related, however, it isn't a consistent conversion.

Also, it's not that difficult to do metric to imperial conversions (and vice versa). Most of it is quite basic math, which an international audience should be more than capable of doing. 

The maths behind it might be basic, however it isn't instant. A inch might be 25.4mm, and a foot might be 304.8mm, however that's above the mental math of most people, so have to write it down somewhere to work it out (that being, a calculator, spreadsheet or pen and paper). 

I have known people who have misunderstood what was written down. They saw a number without a unit, they assumed it was in feet, so constructed an object in feet. There are cases when a number is written down, and you could assume it's either SI or imperial, because both are in the expected range of a data set.

Like, it's not like everything in Continental Europe is strictly measured in metric measurements anyway. There are certain things that are measured in imperial units and most people can do calculations from one to the other on the fly. 

Yes, progression. Something that US isn't going towards. You cannot just change something instantly. Australia started to move to metric in the 60's, and finished in the 80's.

Doing calculations from pounds to grams can also be a bit tricky, but that's mostly down to "pound" not being a strict standard,

For example, a British and American pound is 453.59 grams while a Nordic pound is 500 gram. 

And long ton and short ton,

Nautical miles and miles

Fl.oz and oz (not a measurement of the same thing, however a fl.oz of water doesn't equal an oz)

US Gallon and UK Gallon

Just the coherence of that, fuck.

2 hours ago, Sylvie said:

Actually, pressure can be measured in the Pascal unit now. 

For a few medical/lab equipment like the “autoclave”, the pressure gauge is expressed in psi. At 15 psi the inside chamber is now at 121’C and will kill all microorganisms*. 

*extreme thermohalophiles not included 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

4 minutes ago, Cinnabar Sonar said:

The problem with this is that we would be literally fixing something that isn't broken.  I pay taxes, and this would be a waste of that money.

Although I agree that our youth should learn metric.

There's a lot of things money is wasted on in governments. The only difference, is that there will be a visible change, and a tangible benefit.

You do realise you will eventually have to migrate (and longer you wait, the more you have to change). The US is one of 7 nations who officially haven't moved to metric. 2 of those 7 actively use metric on a daily motion, however aren't officially metric.

The Australian Pound worked. 1A£ = 20s = 240p, 1s = 12p. A lot of money was spent to get to that point, and stuff ups existed on the way. However, decimal currency is much nicer than that, and a hell of a lot more coherent. 

We (the Menzies government) deliberately did an unclean conversation from A£ to A$. 1p = 1c, 1s = 10c (or 12c if pence was used), 1A£ = A$1 (or A2$2.40 if pence was used), just so the old currency went out of circulation, and cleaner transition.

9 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

There's a lot of things money is wasted on in governments. The only difference, is that there will be a visible change, and a tangible benefit.

You do realise you will eventually have to migrate (and longer you wait, the more you have to change). The US is one of 7 nations who officially haven't moved to metric. 2 of those 7 actively use metric on a daily motion, however aren't officially metric.

The Australian Pound worked. 1A£ = 20s = 240p, 1s = 12p. A lot of money was spent to get to that point, and stuff ups existed on the way. However, decimal currency is much nicer than that, and a hell of a lot more coherent. 

We (the Menzies government) deliberately did an unclean conversation from A£ to A$. 1p = 1c, 1s = 10c (or 12c if pence was used), 1A£ = A$1 (or A2$2.40 if pence was used), just so the old currency went out of circulation, and cleaner transition.

nah we dont

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

8 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

There's a lot of things money is wasted on in governments.

And I object to each and every one of them.

8 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

The only difference, is that there will be a visible change, and a tangible benefit.

Like?  How does changing everything to metric help the general populace?

11 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Please do tell why america has to use metric, just because everyone else does?

13 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

America uses decimal currency.  (one dollar equals 100 cents)

17 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

Lookit the new stand mixer I ordered with my severance money.  IT'S PURPLE. :3  Imma learn to make bread. :D

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/kitchenaid-kitchenaid-ultra-power-stand-mixer-4-26l-300-watt-boysenberry-ksm95by/10394868.aspx?

I'm so jelly of your new mixer! I'm starting on the bread making journey myself, making my first sourdough starter culture this weekend. I figure I do enough cooking already, time to get really serious about baking too, you know? Post updates!

Do you mind me asking what industry you work in?

3 hours ago, Sylvie said:

Actually, pressure can be measured in the Pascal unit now. 

But in reality what does a gtx 1080 ti taste like

1 minute ago, Force.Sensitive.Squirrel said:

I'm so jelly of your new mixer! I'm starting on the bread making journey myself, making my first sourdough starter culture this weekend. I figure I do enough cooking already, time to get really serious about baking too, you know? Post updates!

Film industry, visual effects basically.

1 minute ago, Powerscape one man band said:

But in reality what does a gtx 1080 ti taste like

Copper.

Just now, AshleyAshes said:

Film industry, visual effects basically.

I suspected film from your comment. My partner works in animation. I hear a lot of horror stories about the need for unionization. Keep fighting the good fight!

Just now, Force.Sensitive.Squirrel said:

I suspected film from your comment. My partner works in animation. I hear a lot of horror stories about the need for unionization. Keep fighting the good fight!

Yeah that effort basically fell through.  Too many young, dumbass millenials there, who were too terrified to rock the boat and thought that so long as they made more than minimum wage, then everything was fine.

Whatevs, I tried.  Meanwhile I got poached by a former co-worker who had 30 years experience and totally thinks the industry needs unionization.  Not that I'm intending to try and unionize every shop I work at, one DOES have to be wary of earning a certian 'reputation'. :/  But she says this place overall has much better management and treatment of employees and she has the experience to know.

Like?  How does changing everything to metric help the general populace?

Because it's fundamental purpose is to help people, and aid them with their estimates and understanding of length, capacity, volume and every other form of SI measurement.

Whats a Litre (1000mL)? 10^3cm (1000cm^3), which is also 1000g, or 1kg (if the object has a density of 1g/(1cm^3), such as water).

Please do tell why america has to use metric, just because everyone else does?

Because it's made to be simplier.

America uses decimal currency.  (one dollar equals 100 cents)

I never said you did, just Australian Pounds worked, just as imperial measurements work

5 minutes ago, Daring said:

A LMG staff member is posting in here, quick, act normal!

I cannot, it is engrained into my DNA.

Also, amazingly, They are an LMG employee who hasn't told me off quite yet.

So far, Nick Light has told me off, Luke, and possibly other employees.

I wonder whomst this LMG employee could be ?

30 minutes ago, Force.Sensitive.Squirrel said:

As an unofficial inheritance of sorts, I have a very similar mixer, albeit a much older 250 watt one in white. Looks identical otherwise. Never realized how expensive these are. I use it for cookies (the recipe of which I have been forbidden to give away). ;)

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

2 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

As an unofficial inheritance of sorts, I have a very similar mixer, albeit a much older 250 watt one in white. Looks identical otherwise. Never realized how expensive these are. I use it for cookies (the recipe of which I have been forbidden to give away). ;)

Yeah my understanding is that this thing will likely outlive me. o.O

Just now, AshleyAshes said:

Yeah my understanding is that this thing will likely outlive me. o.O

This is probably the reason why they're so expensive. Kitchen Aid likely doesn't sell many because they never die. I'm fairly certain ours is at least 12 years old, most likely much longer. I don't remember Mom actually buying the thing, but I remember it being used a lot.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…