Girlfriends PC is laggy, can it be upgraded?

Hi.

My girlfriend is using my old gaming PC. It was quite nice at the time i had it, but that is a couple of years ago :P

I've attached the speccs in the thread, got it using Speccy.

I've recently put in my old SSD, and 500 GB WD blue.

She also got my old GTX 650, she had a GT 440 before.

I suspect the amount of RAM to be the bottleneck, but i'm not sure.

So, it comes down to this:

Could this be upgraded a bit for better performance, or is it better to live with it, and wait 2-3 years and buy a new PC.

She would never spend alot of money on a brand new build, so i'm hoping it can be upgraded somehow.

Best regards, Dennis.

SARA.txt

SARA.xml

Overclock and maybe a better gpu?

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

post le specs. im not downloading jack.

also, what type of lag? under what conditions?

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

-snip-

Well the GTX 650 is not good... Because it's 1GB VRAM. And the CPU is not good anymore.

If you wanted to upgrade the CPU, you probably have to upgrade the motherboard too and so the RAM too.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

post le specs. im not downloading jack.

also, what type of lag? under what conditions?

ur welcome:

CPU

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
RAM
4,00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 400MHz
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5K PRO (LGA775)
Graphics
1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 
Storage
111GB OCZ-VERTEX3 (SSD)
465GB Western Digital

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

format and clean install the pc

it will be like new

and its a free option

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

agreed, reinstalling Windows works wonders

It's a week old install since i gave her my old SSD.

If she is watching HD content on one of her moniters (1680x1050 res) using Kodi, and playing GTA IV on her main monitor (1920x1080 res), i can see it lagging, quite alot.

I don't any FPS counter on, but it looks like 12-15 FPS :(

When i had the GPU in my rig, i didn't have lag like that at all, i was running around 45-50 FPS. And i have a 1920x1080 monitor for my Kodi use.

Hi.

My girlfriend is using my old gaming PC. It was quite nice at the time i had it, but that is a couple of years ago :P

I've attached the speccs in the thread, got it using Speccy.

I've recently put in my old SSD, and 500 GB WD blue.

She also got my old GTX 650, she had a GT 440 before.

I suspect the amount of RAM to be the bottleneck, but i'm not sure.

So, it comes down to this:

Could this be upgraded a bit for better performance, or is it better to live with it, and wait 2-3 years and buy a new PC.

She would never spend alot of money on a brand new build, so i'm hoping it can be upgraded somehow.

Best regards, Dennis.

Obvious thing is 64 bit windows with 4GB of ram. That's a serious limitation there as it's right on the lower limit that microsoft recommends for upgrading to 64 bit. The preferred specs start at 8GB, and you will notice system hangups with anything less.

Well the cpu is pretty old but still capable. The motherboard is very good. I recommend overclocking the cpu to at least 3 ghz. Gta IV is known to not run so well on old hardware. Also as the others said formatting and re installing windows can be helpful. 

so shes trying to game AND watch hd stuff at the same time

theres your problem

WD Blue is not an SSD, try putting in an actual SSD, it's a worthwhile upgrade for someone who doesn't store a ton of data.

CPU  5820k - 4.0GHz @ 1.27V  |  MOBO X99-Pro  |  RAM 16GB Ballistic @ 2133MHz  |  PSU HX750i 

COOLING  Kraken X61 - 6x NF-A14 iPPC  |  DRIVES  256GB 950 Pro - 2x 1TB Travelstar - 1x 1TB WD Black

GPU  EVGA GTX980 SC |  CASE  R5  |  OS  Win 8.1 Pro  |  MISC   Cablemod C-Series White Set

also kodi isn't the best player for that kinda situation

should be using mpc-hc with the right codecs

Ehm, AFAIK x64 is what you need to choose when you got above 4 GB of RAM?

4 GB ram + 1 GB VRAM ?

No?

I can't remember which cooler there is on the CPU, but it's quite a big block, 6 heatpipes and a 120MM fan, so i guess i could try and OC the CPU.

Anyone has a guide for that CPU in particular?

Jesus :P
Don't just read the headline :P

She has a SSD and a HDD.

Kodi isn't the problem, it's fine.

And as i've stated, with that GPU, it ran without problems when i had it in my system, also using Kodi.

New CPU, Motherboard and RAM

Main Rig - Case: Corsair 200R   Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270-GAMING-K3  CPU: Intel i5 7600 RAM: Corsair H55 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3000MHz SSD: Crucial MX500 1 TB 

HDD: 2TB WD Green  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti 6GB Windforce  PSU: Corsair CX 600W  

HTPC - Case: CiT MTX-007B   Motherboard: Biostar H61MGV3, CPU: Intel i5 2400  RAM: Patriot 4GB 1333MHz SSD: 240GB Toshiba SSD PSU: 180W CIT (Came with case)

Corsair 200R Front Bezel Mod

NGL, In stead of spending a lot of money upgrading what is already a dreadful PC ( No hate) Save up a bit more money and buy a new PC that is for this generation, if she isn't in to much gaming possibly get her one of them console killers that are about $400.

Ehm, AFAIK x64 is what you need to choose when you got above 4 GB of RAM?

4 GB ram + 1 GB VRAM ?

No?

I can't remember which cooler there is on the CPU, but it's quite a big block, 6 heatpipes and a 120MM fan, so i guess i could try and OC the CPU.

Anyone has a guide for that CPU in particular?

yes they recomend x64 at 4gb of ram. It just doesn't run well when you open a couple of browser tabs, and have itunes running in the background

While it will run, my recommendation is  8GB of ram for anything win7 or after, at 64 bit (win95 ran on a 486....It just wasn't happy)

Well the GTX 650 is not good... Because it's 1GB VRAM. And the CPU is not good anymore.

If you wanted to upgrade the CPU, you probably have to upgrade the motherboard too and so the RAM too.

its fine for normal use. I'm forced to use mine temporarily but 4gb of ram isn't enough. Double it

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

its fine for normal use. I'm forced to use mine temporarily but 4gb of vram isn't enough. Double it

The 650 you mean?

I'm sure it's fine for normal use, but I doubt it's optimal for playing GTA 4+watching YouTube videos

The 650 you mean?

I'm sure it's fine for normal use, but I doubt it's optimal for playing GTA 4+watching YouTube videos

eh on low settings it was fine

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I can't grasp how the GPU could be the problem, since, as stated, i ran with that GPU in my rig, without any of the problems she is having.

Instead of you passing on our old stuff to her,why don't you buy her a new pc ? cant you show her some love mister -_-

When everything else Fails,Crowbar IT. - Half-life

Being a Linux user is sort of like living in a house inhabited by a large family of carpenters and architects. Every morning when you wake up, the house is a little different. Maybe there is a new turret, or some walls have moved. Or perhaps someone has temporarily removed the floor under your bed." - Unix for Dummies, 2nd Edition (Found in the .sig of Rob Riggs) 

IMO a couple of 4GB dimms (8GB) will clear up a lot of the issues, especially when doing more than one thing at a time. That's just my opinion, and free advice is worth what you pay for it.