What is a good electric razor/shaver to buy?

Ryou-kun

I've got a much older panasonic shaver than even the ones in this vid which is from 2013. its good I like it

Razer Deathadder 

joks 

I don't know i have never needed to shave

IAN :o

I am trying to find a good electric razor/shaver for myself, and there a lot so I don't know much about it.

I don't know my budget, but I can say it should be great for shaving your beard and mustache at an "affordable pricing" and possibly get a smooth skin if possible. Well, basically, if it is possible to remove the left over beard and mustache that is already skin level surface and visible thing if you guys know what I mean.

I've tried a electric shaver abd never liked it. It takes too long and didn't cut the hair flush with my skin.

I would go with a normal razer. Its quicker (imo), your skin will be smooth AF and you'll feel like a gentleman.

EDIT: saw one of your posts.

I haven't replaced my razor since 2ish years i think. There were 2 with the handle qnd I've already been through both of them.

Now, i wouldn't recommend doing that and pulling a Luke and TankSlayer but it still gets the job done... Sort of.

Depending on how often you shave you should replace the blades accordingly.

Edit#2: if you do manage to obliterate a pimple that you had when shaving... Well good job! That's one way to get rid of them. Not the best way though but it legitimately doesn't hurt. At all. It might sting a small bit, but it's nothing too bad (hurts less than a paper cut.)

5-bearded-gospel-men.jpg

Grow one 

When everything else Fails,Crowbar IT. - Half-life

Being a Linux user is sort of like living in a house inhabited by a large family of carpenters and architects. Every morning when you wake up, the house is a little different. Maybe there is a new turret, or some walls have moved. Or perhaps someone has temporarily removed the floor under your bed." - Unix for Dummies, 2nd Edition (Found in the .sig of Rob Riggs) 

-snip-

I forgot to mention that unless you wet your face it might not be a fun time. The water helps lubricate the blade's run.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

• 2 weeks later...

For those who are using DollarShaveClub, which one I should choose for the "Extras," the Dr. Carver's Shave Butter or Dr. Carver's Post Shave?

I decide I might go for a manual razor since a lot of you guys convince me it is a better option, but I can't decide on the cream. I don't know which one is good.

Also how much do you use the shaving cream on your face? A lot? Handful? Shampoo enough? etc. :P

Do you also need to wet your face with a warm water then apply shaving cream or you don't need it?

Thank you very much. :P

If you worried about cutting your self shaving the TP works great but one of the best things I found the works even better is a Styptic pencil as I tend to always cut my self and using the Styptic pencil always stopped the bleeding almost instantly for me.

I use to use the Gillette Fusion Proglide so I change over to the Gillette Fusion Proglide Manual Men Razor With Flexball as I wanted to try a new razor out,it has been a few months using it and it works great for me..

Also when I was younger my Dad yet use his double sided razor think the brand name was called Merkur Barber Pole and let me tell you this these razors are know joke they are very sharp and you can easily cut your face if you are not very careful..I will not use them again as I cut my self to easily with this type of razor..

I am trying to find a good electric razor/shaver for myself, and there a lot so I don't know much about it.

I don't know my budget, but I can say it should be great for shaving your beard and mustache at an "affordable pricing" and possibly get a smooth skin if possible. Well, basically, if it is possible to remove the left over beard and mustache that is already skin level surface and visible thing if you guys know what I mean.

You need a razor that is effective at getting all the hairs, at the rate most of you grow hair, about .1 mm per decade, you need something strong.  I recommend the spishak brand.

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

You need a razor that is effective at getting all the hairs, at the rate most of you grow hair, about .1 mm per decade, you need something strong.  I recommend the spishak brand.

If you worried about cutting your self shaving the TP works great but one of the best things I found the works even better is a Styptic pencil as I tend to always cut my self and using the Styptic pencil always stopped the bleeding almost instantly for me.

I use to use the Gillette Fusion Proglide so I change over to the Gillette Fusion Proglide Manual Men Razor With Flexball as I wanted to try a new razor out,it has been a few months using it and it works great for me..

Also when I was younger my Dad yet use his double sided razor think the brand name was called Merkur Barber Pole and let me tell you this these razors are know joke they are very sharp and you can easily cut your face if you are not very careful..I will not use them again as I cut my self to easily with this type of razor..

Well, I am going for DollarShaveClub razor blades.

But I am stuck on deciding the shaving cream.

Can't decide between the Shave Butter or Post Shave.

Use a cutthroat razor, then you'll really feel like James Bond /jk

I used to use an electric razor. Worst year of shaving ever, ending with getting a couple of in growing hairs which I had to use tweezers to get out. Now that I wet shave my skin feels so much better, plus it can also promote more hair growth for if you want to grow a beard or moustache. Personally I just buy some wilkinson sword razors from my local supermarket and use some Nivea mens shaving foam. Can't say much about dollar shave club other than that you can buy the top end model on somewhere like alibaba for even cheaper than with dollar shave club.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Well, I am going for DollarShaveClub razor blades.

But I am stuck on deciding the shaving cream.

Can't decide between the Shave Butter or Post Shave.

I really can not comment on what to use for shaving cream,I just use good old fashion Barbasol Shaving Cream..

straightblade with a bar of irish spring 

it's difficult at first and takes a bit more time, but it's a much better shave and much cheaper than even dollar shave club.

Everyone complaining that electric doesn't cut as close or is too slow, must have used a really bad electric razor.

I vote Braun, Braun is amazing.

Everyone complaining that electric doesn't cut as close or is too slow, must have used a really bad electric razor.

I vote Braun, Braun is amazing.

I heard that Braun makes really good electric shavers but there where so very pricy, I should try and save up for one to try it out,I have used other electric shavers but always went back to my good old reliable Gillette..lol

I heard that Braun makes really good electric shavers but there where so very pricy, I should try and save up for one to try it out,I have used other electric shavers but always went back to my good old reliable Gillette..lol

The one I have was about $80-$100 but it cuts butter smooth against my skin. My cheeks are like a baby's butt. :lol:

The one I have was about $80-$100 but it cuts butter smooth against my skin. My cheeks are like a baby's butt. :lol:

Guess I have to start saving as I just can not go buy one as I have such a tight monthly budget now will bills but should be able to get it in a month or 2..

Double edge razor all the way for my face.  For not my face I use dollar shave club 4 blade.  I also have an electric razor that I only use the mustache pop up thing and not the actual rotary parts.

Merkur_heavy_duty_safety_razor.jpg

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Guess I have to start saving as I just can not go buy one as I have such a tight monthly budget now will bills but should be able to get it in a month or 2..

I understand, they're not cheap. But they do pay themselves off. I've had it for about 4 years now and it's still just as sharp as the day I got it. They're worth the investment.

I'm going to sound like a hipster but I still can't find anything better than a straight razor. It was what I was taught on and I just can't find anything that gives me the same level of control. 

Full disclosure. my mother was a beautician and my father a barber. 

My daily driver.

• CPU
    Intel i5 6600 K
  • Motherboard
    Asus Maximus VIII Hero
  • RAM
    16 Gig of G.Skill TridentZ Series 3000 Mhz
  • GPU
    EVGA 1070 FTW edition
  • Case
    Fractal Design Define R5
  • Storage
    Samsung 850 Series 250GB for boot + WD 2TB Black
  • PSU
    Corsair RM 750W
  • Cooling
    Corsair H100 V2
  • Keyboard
    Corsair K 70 LUX
  • Mouse
    Corsair Raptor M45
  • PCPartPicker URL

a motorized katana made out of glorious nippon steel.

Spoiler

CPU intel potato2 | Motherboard xpotato69 | RAM DDRPotato | GPU potato 6969 Ti | Case potato curbiide | Storage WD potato GB grey | PSU lakesonic 69 potato Watts | Display(s)69" 0.5K potato 69*69 | Cooling 4 heatpipe fried potato | Keyboard 69 key potato switches | Mouse yukon gold potato | Sound 6.9 surround potato | Operating System OS69 potato

CPU I7 5700HQ |  RAM 8gb DDR3 | GPU GTX 960M | Storage 1 TB HGST HDD | Display 15.6" 1080p IPS panel | Keyboard Steelseries RGB | Operating System Windows 10

CPU R7 3800x |  RAM 32 GB 3200MHZ DDR4| GPU RX 5700XT Ref. | Storage 1TB m.2 NVME, 2x 500GB SSD, 4TB and 750gb hdd | Display LG 32GK850F-BKeyboard Aorus K7 with reds | PSU Corsair RM750X | Case Corsair 275R | Operating System Windows 10

Mine is the cheapest one at Costco does the job o.k. 

Has anyone else ever thought about getting an old school cutthroat(straight) razor?  i think it would be pretty cool to master the art of using/sharpening one of those and never buy razors ever again :)

Edit: nvm someone a few posts above me said he uses one lol 

I have a Philips norelco 4000 series that I basically never use. It takes way too long in my opinion and always leaves enough hair length that I can feel if I brush my hands against my face (you know, that scratchy feeling from angle cut hair).

So instead I use a Gillette fusion manual razor (5 blades).

I know someone asked about this in the tread, regarding our styles and scheduling. I basically shave every other day. I have minimal acne, so I don't have to worry about cutting any pimples. I do have slight skin sensitivity, so I use shaving cream that is hypoallergenic and/or contains Aloe. I replace my blades as soon as I feel dragging instead of a clean cut. 

Also, I always have a clean shave. I don't grow out a beard or anything, partially because of my professional environment (work and college) and because my lady friend (and most women I know) doesn't really like that style.

As for tips and tricks on shaving. To get a nice close shave I follow the technique for 2 passes: First I go with the grain. The second pass is then across the grain 90 degrees (perpendicular) to my hair growth.

I also have a shavette for when I need to do a third pass (that is wet) that is against the grain. Usually going against the grain is not recommended, but by a third pass, it wont hurt if done correctly, meaning that the single blade razor is at about a 5 degree angle relative to the surface of your skin and there is minimal tugging.

I only do third passes for when I know I need to look absolutely spotless( eg: photos, night out, special events/occasions). Most of the time; my against the grain pass is limited to the areas at and under my jawline.

There still are some finer points I want to cover:

• If you do go with an electric razor, you'll need to always have your facial hair short. Anything more than stubble and the electric shaver will basically not work effectively. Some models have a built in trimmer to let you shorten your facial hair before actually shaving.
  • If you go with an electric shaver, make sure you can use it either wet or dry.
  • It is best to shave after having your face wet (such as after showering). I only shower once a day, so in the mornings I wash my face with warm water before shaving.
  • Also wash after shaving with cold or warm water. 
  • Pat dry your face with a towel, do not rub. Rubbing will just irritate your skin and cause it to turn red.

EDIT:

Also a side note:

As an added incentive to use a manual razor: When wet shaving you also exfoliate your skin by removing dead skin cells. It'l leave your skin feeling smoother and possibly feeling better too due to a reduced chance for pores clogging up.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

How well do they work on beards? As in,  never completely shave everything, except for parts of my cheeck, my neck, parts of my chin and under the ears.

post-49487-0-66798900-1428470024.jpg

And for those of you using dollar shave club. I fail to understand how it is any better than anything else? Do people really use one blade per week? If so, that makes sense. But I've always used one blade for 3-4 weeks. 

$12 gets me a Schick Quattro 5 shaver/electric beard trimmer + 1 blade. 

Shaving 4 times a week = 1 month or so per blade. 

Replacement pack of 8 Hydro 5 bldes is $22. That's... $3-4 a month for the first 9 months, and then less than that forevermore, for a shaver with an electric trimmer on it (that works amazing...)

post-49487-0-66798900-1428470024.jpg

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200