Thought I might try out AMD , what CPU to buy ?

Thats also a silly comparison, because you'd buy the best truck for your dollar if you needed a truck.

He wants a PC, why not buy the best PC for your dollar.

jesus-facepalm.jpg

some people on this forum...

"Rawr XD"

Holy f*ck 5 pages of hate.

If the OP wants AMD let the bloody man have AMD. Stop running a mans life, people that say this make me sick and make people leave the god damn forums.

Also i think the OP should go for the 8350

It's not wrong to provide more info,.. even on things he doesn't think he wants,.. to then let the OP make his decision, which of course is his decision..

The more info he has on the matter, regardless of his initial wants and needs,.. as they may change their minds with the more information he has on the matter.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

some people on this forum...

Your the one who made the comparison that made no sense..

/Soz for double post.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

LOL come on i'm sure EVEN YOU can realise that this is AMD non-sense SPIT to keep selling the horrible FX line to poor users.

I personally only see AMD CPU's as good for overclocking fun, and budget rendering/editing rigs. Mantle is just AMD trying to get just a little bit more out of their FX line IMO ( they are already rip offs, I can get an FX 8350 or spend less than $10 more and buy a new i5 4460-in Australia), nothing else.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Your the one who made a silly comparison that made no sense..

It's only not making sense because you aren't using your head in the first place, as I can see with many people in this thread. There is a difference between providing helpful information and starting a war.

Helpful information: Answering the question OP asked, and then stating that Intel is a better choice because (reason), (evidence)

Starting a war: This thread

Examples of helpful posts within this thread:

AMD's CPUs are only good on the low budget side, on the mid-higher end side Intel is the best option.

if you're on a tight budget you could look into an Athlon X4 860k... better IPC than the FX series. But it has no upgrade path.

Trying to keep cheap? FX 6300, it may not perform as well as the Intel CPUs but it is great for its price and budget builds

For the games you want, I'd HIGHLY suggest Intel, but if you really want AMD for some reason, go with the 8350 (8320 is a better value most of the time though, it's the same CPU just lower clocked).

"Rawr XD"

I personally only see AMD CPU's as good for overclocking fun, and budget rendering/editing rigs. Mantle is just AMD trying to get just a little bit more out of their FX line IMO ( they are already rip offs, I can get an FX 8350 or spend less than $10 more and buy a new i5 4460-in Australia), nothing else.

Lol did you see them insulting their FX CPU's just to promote dx12.

I have officially lost faith in AMD'S CPU buisness

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

Lol did you see them insulting their FX CPU's just to promote dx12.

I have officially lost faith in AMD'S CPU buisness

Same, they bought Ati then their CPU market went to shit. I miss the early Athlon days. And I saw what they did, and I wasn't impressed.

PMSL

@Shaper Feel free to write your thoughts, I can see you're shadowing the thread. Without them we can only give suggestions based on assumptions.

Ok, I'd recommend the phenom 2 x6 1100t as it is actually faster at its stock speed than an FX 6300-which is supposed to be its replacement.

PMSL

actually i looked through the framerate timings on the infinate runs back when i was benchmarking it last year wondering why the lows reported were never seen.

turns out the canned benchmark does record a few frames in between scenes which gives false values, also comparing it to real run throughs (the one slick did, ive probably done it over 100 times im so sick of it!) the canned benchmark is actually a bit higher than gameplay for instance if you get 66 on the canned run you might actually get 50 in gameplay also of note where slick selected his test run was very good because the average variation between runs was often under 1fps difference and was very much a case of realistic gameplay. (which zipping along the overhead lines wouldnt be for instance)

It does atleast break down the information for you at the end so you can see if that happens.  Should always treat benchmark results for statistical outliers and all that jazz anyway.

I wouldn't say it's a great real world performance benchmark, but it's not meant to be.  There's a difference between a benchmark to compare different hardware and a benchmark to give an idea of what performance someone can expect in a review and they need to be done differently.  What Slick does is good for the latter category because you want all those niggling imperfections to show off the real world performance.  But if you want to compare different CPU's or different GPU's you have to control things much tighter.  An internal standard for both AMD and nvidia would be a good start so you could correct for game specific optimizations between the two and properly compare AMD/Nvidia without worrying about benchmarks that favour one or the other skewing your results.

I'm all for real world performance comparisons of course, I think it's more useful to consumers.  Too many benchmarks get thrown around as conclusive evidence though and they're very poorly done from a scientific point of view.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

PMSL

I'm all for real world performance comparisons of course, I think it's more useful to consumers.  Too many benchmarks get thrown around as conclusive evidence though and they're very poorly done from a scientific point of view.

HEY! wake up!

just use youtube videos...users love to capture gameplay footage with MSI afterburner monitoring...you can see how ANY games run on ANY hardware...simple isnt it?!

You can always say ''benchmark this or benchmark that'' but you CAN SEE HOW IT RUN in about 2 minutes nowadays...like the videos i've linked earlier...those DON'T LIE...

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

@Shaper
Yep, its probably the best value AMD CPU, its not much slower than an FX 8350-which is why I never recommend the FX range:

http://cpuboss.com/cpu/AMD-Phenom-II-X6-Black-1100T

Edit: Also the FX 9590 is a scam made by AMD, never buy one.

PMSL

cpuboss measures a CPU's performance according to synthetic benchmarks like passmark, and game debate gives a rating solely by the specs listed on paper. I wouldn't use either of those sites to make comparisons.

edit: CPU world as well, missed that one.

@Shaper

Yep, its probably the best value AMD CPU, its not much slower than an FX 8350-which is why I never recommend the FX range:

http://cpuboss.com/cpu/AMD-Phenom-II-X6-Black-1100T

Edit: Also the FX 9590 is a scam made by AMD, never buy one.

Never use cpuboss or game debate. They r only good for spect to spec comparison.

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

cpuboss measures a CPU's performance according to synthetic benchmarks like passmark, and game debate gives a rating solely by the specs listed on paper. I wouldn't use either of those sites to make comparisons.

Never use cpuboss or game debate. They r only good for spect to spec comparison.

I wouldn't normally use them, but doing a cross comparison with other sites, the benchmarks and end results are correct. This time.

PMSL

Those aren't great comparions as they're synthetic. Not saying that I'd disagree, but only to an extent. Phenom II at the same clock speed is better then FX single-threaded, but it trades spots in multi-threaded applications depending on the application itself. However when using all 6 cores usually the FX6 will be quicker.

I went from my 1075T to an 8320 and found single-threaded performance to be pretty much the same, which is why I returned it, however FX is better multi-threaded.

"Rawr XD"

Those aren't great comparions as they're synthetic. Not saying that I'd disagree, but only to an extent. Phenom II at the same clock speed is better then FX single-threaded, but it trades spots in multi-threaded applications depending on the application itself. However when using all 6 cores usually the FX6 will be quicker.

I went from my 1075T to an 8320 and found single-threaded performance to be pretty much the same, which is why I returned it, however FX is better multi-threaded.

Not quite, the link again: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/699?vs=203    Also note the stock speeds.

PMSL

Wow! This got out of hand rather quickly.  This is kinda why I didn't want to mention Intel.
So, I've actually read all your replies, and the 

AMD Athlon X4 860k Black Edition AMD FX-6300 Black Edition AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Intel Core i3-4360 / 4330 aswell as the i5

are what you guys recommend. Even though a i7-4770k or a i7-5930/60 is how to play it right. 
But as someone has figured out, budget is tight. And this should have been ordered yesterday like ASAP. 
AMD is cheaper, that is why I figured AMD, and because I wanted to try to build an AMD system for a change. 

Looked online and found a couple upgrade bundles. 
For the same ammount I can get three different configurations. 

So if u guys can help me choose one, that would be swell.! 
The following systems are:

Wich ones of theese current packages give me the most bang for my buck. Im sorry if this is an even worse question. 

Wow! This got out of hand rather quickly.  This is kinda why I didn't want to mention Intel.

So, I've actually read all your replies, and the 

AMD Athlon X4 860k Black Edition AMD FX-6300 Black Edition AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Intel Core i3-4360 / 4330 aswell as the i5

are what you guys recommend. Even though a i7-4770k or a i7-5930/60 is how to play it right. 

But as someone has figured out, budget is tight. And this should have been ordered yesterday like ASAP. 

AMD is cheaper, that is why I figured AMD, and because I wanted to try to build an AMD system for a change. 

Looked online and found a couple upgrade bundles. 

For the same ammount I can get three different configurations. 

So if u guys can help me choose one, that would be swell.! 

The following systems are:

Wich ones of theese current packages give me the most bang for my buck. Im sorry if this is an even worse question. 

Option 3 is the best value for money.

PMSL

HEY! wake up!

just use youtube videos...users love to capture gameplay footage with MSI afterburner monitoring...you can see how ANY games run on ANY hardware...simple isnt it?!

You can always say ''benchmark this or benchmark that'' but you CAN SEE HOW IT RUN in about 2 minutes nowadays...like the videos i've linked earlier...those DON'T LIE...

That's not really what I'm talking about.  I'm talking about comparing hardware to each other in a scientific manner. Many people who think they are doing so are doing a very poor job of it.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

@Shaper I'd definitely go with #3

RIP in pepperonis m8s

@Shaper 1s to all...

welcome to the forum new friend  ^_^ 

k, back to the topic

​i did have a similar problem some time back  :ph34r:

and (after a lot of thinking) i buy my lovely apu A10

why ?

i like "have" a backup igpu in my system

just in case i decide "sell" my old gpu (7850 ftw)  ;)

and buy a new one (with the money i get)

with the new A10 8850k in way

the (also new) A10 7850k is in a great price to buy now  :rolleyes:

(and his igpu have GCN architecture inside, yey)

so... i do recommend go for the A10 7850k today  B)

(or any A10 or A8 with GCN inside, but that is just me and my mind)  :)