Thought I might try out AMD , what CPU to buy ?

Just please look at the title of the thread

Buying a CPU for the brand name is PURE stupidity, i'm not recommend ANY AMD CPU except the 860K which is very slow but at least is very cheap.

Done.

Ok tell a mod to remove my link feature.

It's okay, you just stand corrected, it happens all the time!

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu8Sekdb-IE

I found this video interesting. I mean i am happy with my intel setup. But Amd isn't that bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4et7kDGSRfc

I wonder how many people that ran benchmarks on Amd cpus went back and installed the ypdates they talk about in the second video around the 4:20ish second mask? I to have used Amd in the past and after taking a long break from pc gaming came back and built the pc in my sig. I wish i would have seen these videos before hand because i would have a 8370 or 9590 right now. I might still build a Amd setup just to show some love to the tech gods.

Without even clicking the links I knew it would lead to teksyndicate's inaccurate benchmarks. 

Without even clicking the links I knew it would lead to teksyndicate's inaccurate benchmarks.

How are the inaccurate? Because the show real world Fps? Because....

I7 5820k, Asus X99 Sabertooth, 980Ti Classified, 32gb Gskill Ripjaws 4, Corsair Rm1000i, Samsung 950 Pro, Custom Loop Xspc Cpu Block Ek Gpu Block, Windows 10, Define S. Acer Predator XB271HU

How are the inaccurate? Because the show real world Fps? Because....

They are VERY inaccurate. His results conflict with every benchmark done by a reputable source on the web. He clearly does not know what he's doing.

Look at his Skyrim and ARMA benchmarks. Both ran better on the FX. From those two games alone you know his review is bs.

VERY inaccurate. His results conflict with every benchmark done by a reputable source on the web.

Doesn't make his results wrong. Like i said i love my setup don't get me wrong. But i got a friend who i built a comp for. Only difference in parts is a 8370 and a different Asus board and in the same game i get around 160+ fps he gets around 140+ fps. Just because they are not as fast doesn't make them garbage. I mean a Bugatti is faster than a Ferrari 458 does that make the Ferrari garbage?

I7 5820k, Asus X99 Sabertooth, 980Ti Classified, 32gb Gskill Ripjaws 4, Corsair Rm1000i, Samsung 950 Pro, Custom Loop Xspc Cpu Block Ek Gpu Block, Windows 10, Define S. Acer Predator XB271HU

You can occasionally find the 8350 around $160 range on sale, which is a fantastic deal. I bought one on sale at that price about a year ago and it hauls. That being said, it runs hotter than hell, even under a decent air cooler heatsink, and chugs bill-busting amounts of electricity. Honestly, as a power user and novice software developer, I wish I had sided with Intel for the CPU, but if you're hell-bent on AMD, an 8350 won't let you down.

AMD FX8350  2x ASUS Radeon R9 270X 4GB  ASUS Sabertooth 990FX  -  Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 16GB

Doesn't make his results wrong. Like i said i love my setup don't get me wrong. But i got a friend who i built a comp for. Only difference in parts is a 8370 and a different Asus board and in the same game i get around 160+ fps he gets around 140+ fps. Just because they are not as fast doesn't make them garbage. I mean a Bugatti is faster than a Ferrari 458 does that make the Ferrari garbage?

See my edited post. His benchmarks are inaccurate and are not correctly performed. I'm not saying the FX 8 series make for terrible gaming CPUs, just that Intel is a better option in most cases.

Since he can't take the appropriate measures needed to create a fair and proper benchmark, his results are wrong.

See my edited post. His benchmarks are inaccurate and are not correctly performed. I'm not saying the FX 8 series make for terrible gaming CPUs, just that Intel is a better option in most cases.

I seen it. And if that the case does that mean we should ignore all his material? I just hate seeing all the fanboy stuff all over the web. not saying you were being that bad. But we need Amd to succeed. I mean Intels chips are priced super high why? Look around the web all you see is Amd sucks this Amd F**K That. I wouldn't lower the prices either if someone is willing to pay $150 bucks or more for 15 fps. With that said nice talking to you. And to all the fanboys. KEEP THE PRICES HIGH. lol

And to all the fanboys. KEEP THE PRICES HIGH. lol

Let me show you why I'm not a fanboy.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($173.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: ASRock H97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($71.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $245.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-24 20:22 EDT-0400

CPU: AMD FX-8320E 3.2GHz 8-Core Processor  ($122.55 @ Directron) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($79.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $224.74

With the small price gap it just makes sense to go Intel for a gaming PC. I go with whatever is better for the money.

For the games you mentioned an i5 will run them much better than any of those AMD chips will. I'd look into Intel. If you want to try AMD again wait for Zen.

edit: Or if you're on a tight budget you could look into an Athlon X4 860k... better IPC than the FX series. But it has no upgrade path.

Neither does LGA 1150/Z97, Intel is ditching it next year. I mean it'll still be good but really next year would be best if you want the best upgradability.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Motherboard: ASRock H97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($71.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

With the small price gap it just makes sense to go Intel for a gaming PC. I go with whatever is better for the money.

Neither does LGA 1150/Z97, Intel is ditching it next year. I mean it'll still be good but really next year would be best if you want the best upgradability.

I updated my bios to uprade to broadwell. I mean it wont be Skylake but its an upgrade.

My bad on that last quote had it in the by mistake. I didnt say you were a fanboy. if you took it that way i apologize.

You can't compare the LGA 1150 socket which has high end processors to the mainstream FM2+ socket by AMD.

There's going to be new technology announced every year, with that reasoning you'll be waiting forever to buy something.

My bad on that last quote had it in the by mistake. I didnt say you were a fanboy. if you took it that way i apologize.

No offense taken. I just posted that to show the OP Intel doesn't have to be expensive compared to an AMD alternative.

I updated my bios to uprade to broadwell. I mean it wont be Skylake but its an upgrade.

I know Broadwell will work on LGA 1150 but right now both sides of the coin will be discontinuing a platform and Broadwell is just a tick. Granted Intel might be on a new platform by the time you might want to upgrade but having a slightly newer platform doesn't hurt.

You can't compare the LGA 1150 socket which has high end processors to the mainstream FM2+ socket by AMD.

There's going to be new technology announced every year, with that reasoning you'll be waiting forever to buy something.

What I mean is that both of them are ditching their current sockets next year which they've been using for quite awhile. 

if your adding a graphics card in there and want AMD, don't get an A10 or even an A8 since their selling point is the powerful internal gpu. get an athlon 750K, 760K, or an 860K for less that will be better in overclocking for the Fm2/fm2+ socket

The gap is actually twice what you make it out to be. Not sure why you use the stock cooler for the Intel and not the AMD

Edit - And there are far cheaper motherboards by ASRock available for AM3+

Main Rig:

Spoiler

AMD FX 8320 @4.5Ghz  8GB Corsair Vengeance LP Blu 1600Mhz Sapphire Vapor X HD 7950 3GB 120GB Samsung 840 Evo  Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 

Corsair 600T Graphite Corsair H80i Corsair CX600 2x LG 24 inch LED @1080p Logitech G700s CM Quickfire TK (Brown)

Home Server:

Spoiler

A4 6300 @3.7Ghz 5GB Kingston/Crucial DDR3 1600Mhz 1TB WD Green 2TB Seagate Barracuda

500GB WD Blue 2x Gigabit NIC Antec 300 OCZ 500w PSU Gigabyte F2A68HM-HD2 R1.1

guys his budget is tight. go amd definitly if budget is small, the athlon series is great budget, and for those kinds of games it wont make a difference going intel vs. amd

The gap is actually twice what you make it out to be. Not sure why you use the stock cooler for the Intel and not the AMD

Edit - And there are far cheaper motherboards by ASRock available for AM3+

Cooler + decent 970 board to OC the 8320e.

Cooler + decent 970 board to OC the 8320e.

Just curious did you ever see these videos Linus did? I actually just watched them for the first time.

Out of the CPUs you listed, OP, the FX-8350 is the best. The A10 CPUs are weak but have good on-board graphics... irrelevant since you're using a GTX 570.

However having said that, every signle one of the games you listed (along with the vast majority of other games) perform much better on an i3 or i5 than they do on any AMD CPU currently out. What do you currently have? There's a good chance it won't be an upgrade, since AMD's current CPUs are basically the same performance-wise as CPUs from like 2008 (Core2, Phenom II, first gen Core i5/i7 at lower clocks)

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHnsfIJtZ2o

Just curious did you ever see these videos Linus did? I actually just watched them for the first time.

Not the biggest fan of his videos honestly. The only reason I'm on this forum is to help people with their tech, as I enjoy doing so. I'm usually on tom's hardware:

http://www.tomshardware.com/community/profile-1393065.htm

I look at reviews or benchmarks by reputable sources as well as other users who have used the equipment to gain my hardware knowledge. Also that video is almost two years old now. If you had to make a comparison between the two I would look at a reviewer less biased and more informed, like Bryan from Tech YES City.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26UKz42uQ1Y