Acrylic scratch build

Turdsandwitch

I had an idea the other week about making an acrylic case with channels routed out, in side the walls of the case to run water. it involves laminating 3 pieces of acrylic sheet together. im not sure if anyone else has attempted it, im too lazy to google.

i had a quick play over the weekend to see if it was going to work and it looks like it will,  but i think im going to use a solid colour for the interior and exterior pieces(3mm thick) as i wasnt happy with how the clear acrylic looked when it was glued (streaks, bubbles etc...) . ill use clear for the center piece(10mm thick)  as its cheaper than the coloured stuff and i can pretty much get it it any thickness i want.

the pic below doesnt show all the streaks and bubbles in the glue, and it was also hard to keep the glue from squeezing into the channel its self, making the coolant look "jaggered" instead of a nice clean line. using  chloroform to glue things together wasnt really an option due to the size of some of the panels. it would have been nice to see the water flowing through the walls, maybe ill explore some other options next time. 

post-77839-0-43325600-1427002976.png

anyway heres what i mocked up in sketchup. Ignore the colours, it was just easier on my eyes to have different colours.

post-77839-0-59570200-1427003601_thumb.p

post-77839-0-00201400-1427003845_thumb.p

post-77839-0-38957900-1427003849_thumb.p

post-77839-0-93539900-1427003852_thumb.p

heres the raw sketchup file for those of you that have it. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/646iwgreysjukk2/FINAL.skp?dl=0

Nice idea, anyone make clear plumber's cement? (I'm assuming it'd work on acrylic as well as pvc.)

great concept

now make it happen! :P

CPU: Intel i5-2400 Mobo: ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1333MHz GPU: Sapphire R9 280x Tri-X Case Corsair Obsidian Series 350D PSU: EVGA 500w 80+ Certified

why do you want to scratch acrylic?? what did it ever do to you?

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

Nice idea, anyone make clear plumber's cement? (I'm assuming it'd work on acrylic as well as pvc.)

Check the label to see if it does work first. I tried not long ago with some generic pvc cement and it was a no-go.

Green With Envy

A build based on a children's cartoon

Check the label to see if it does work first. I tried not long ago with some generic pvc cement and it was a no-go.

ive got some proper glue, its not as good as the chloroform stuff, but it sets up pretty good and reasonably quickly, its only to laminate the sheets together anyway.

post-77839-0-17050300-1427081500_thumb.j 

ive got some proper glue, its not as good as the chloroform stuff, but it sets up pretty good and reasonably quickly, its only to laminate the sheets together anyway.

If it's anything like the stuff I ended up using, I'm sure it'll be hell to get out of the tube. Have fun :D

Green With Envy

A build based on a children's cartoon