Moving to Linux comprises to be made?

So, Im considering moving my main Gaming Desktop (currently W8.1) to linux.

Now i know This seems a bad idea but looking for your feedback & answers on a few questions.

1. Does nvidia gsync work on Linux yet?

2. How is SLI on Linux  nowdays?

Idea #1

1. Run Linux as on Gaming PC full move to linux, Currently 78/500 Games on my steam is supported.

idea #2

1. Make my Gaming PC. Auto Boot & load up Steam in Big Picture Mode (using W8.1)

2. Use Linux for everything else. including webbrowsing

idea #2 would also increase secruity of W8.1, lot less likely to get bad software/malware due to steam/Origin only.

whats your thoughts & have you done this?

pc hardware

i7 5930K - ASUS WS-E X99 -  32GB - 3X 128GB SSD's - 1x 1TB SSD  2 x 980GTX - 1300w Superflower PSU Corsair - carbide 540 case

I have to ask why, sure linus is good and free, but it doenst really do anything extra

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Idea #1: No, don't. Linux isn't anywhere it needs to be to be fun. Most games that'll you want won't be supported unless untiler much later after release if at all.

Idea #2: I guess you could do that. I don't understand why you want to just play a game, then shutdown your computer, and then start it back up to boot into linux.

SLI is good now.

I don't know about Gysnc for linux :/

My reason for having Ubuntu GNOME:

I work on making scripts and web applications which Linux is need for. (Python is shit on windows. Most packages for it are only on linux)

Need help? Just message me.  @_avax Please quote me for responses.

I have to ask why, sure linus is good and free, but it doenst really do anything extra

Linus is good and free?  :o

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Idea #1: No, don't. Linux isn't anywhere it needs to be to be fun. Most games that'll you want won't be supported unless untiler much later after release if at all.

Idea #2: I guess you could do that. I don't understand why you want to just play a game, then shutdown your computer, and then start it back up to boot into linux.

SLI is good now.

idea 2 was to use a different pc entirely

but few reasons

1. good learning experience,

2. more "secure"

3. much better customablity

4. theirs a chance linux will be become mainstream in the future so learning now could be a good thing.

5. i can already fix large majority of Win/OSX issues Linux is the last step.

Linus is good and free?   :o

he already has 8.1 and will get 10 free....

@smogsy personally there are too many negatives to moving to linux, for me like 90% of my software and games wouldnt work and there is a learning curve to it too and it doenst do anything more than windows does

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Still applies? When you dualboot linux, most distro's (mainstream) install GRUB which is a boot loader.

Need help? Just message me.  @_avax Please quote me for responses.

Why in the world would you move your gaming desktop to Linux?!

SLI is good now.

My reason for having Ubuntu GNOME:

I work on making scripts and web applications which Linux is need for. (Python is shit on windows. Most packages for it are only on linux)

Because windows spies on your ass. And if people don't start using linux, it will never improve and developers will never start supporting it. 

My opinion? Dualboot. Use linux as much as possible, and if needed you can start up windows to anything that linux can't. Linux is a great OS once you get used it. Oh and it raises your geek to 200. xD

Is it bad that my dream setup only costs a few thousand not counting the obutto?

CPU: FX-8320

Motherboard: asrock 970Pro3 r2.0

Memory: Team Zeus Blue 8GB DDR3-1600 Memory 

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB DUAL-X Video Card 

Case: Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case  

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  

SSD: MX100 128GB

HDD: WD 2TB black edition

linux supports only about 30% f steam games so far. that and app compatability are really the only downsides to running Linux (i run full-time ubuntu)

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

Linux is great for a lot of things, but gaming is not one of them.

But we if don't start using it, game companies won't start supporting it. If they see a market emerging, they will hop on it with there money grabby hands.

Is it bad that my dream setup only costs a few thousand not counting the obutto?

So, Im considering moving my main Gaming Desktop (currently W8.1) to linux.

Now i know This seems a bad idea but looking for your feedback & answers on a few questions.

1. Does nvidia gsync work on Linux yet?

2. How is SLI on Linux  nowdays?

Idea #1

1. Run Linux as on Gaming PC full move to linux, Currently 78/500 Games on my steam is supported.

idea #2

1. Make my Gaming PC. Auto Boot & load up Steam in Big Picture Mode (using W8.1)

2. Use Linux for everything else. including webbrowsing

idea #2 would also increase secruity of W8.1, lot less likely to get bad software/malware due to steam/Origin only.

whats your thoughts & have you done this?

pc hardware

i7 5930K - ASUS WS-E X99 -  32GB - 3X 128GB SSD's - 1x 1TB SSD  2 x 980GTX - 1300w Superflower PSU Corsair - carbide 540 case

All I know is you can use paly on Linux program to use stuff form windows on Linux

Because windows spies on your ass.... Oh and it raises your geek to 200. xD

264.jpg

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

264.jpg

I care. I can setup my OS exactly how I want it with linux. I can dig deep into what makes something tick, Troubleshooting? Not a problem with linux. Linux actually lets me see those errorcodes, I can trace back exactly why something broke unlike windows or OSX. And if you don't care about your privacy, you won't mind if I take your social security number, bank accounts, creditcards, passwords, usernames and just let everyone in the world see. Just let them steal your identity and rack up your credit bill. right? I am ready to hit enter and let everyone see your dickpics.

I care. I can setup my OS exactly how I want it with linux. I can dig deep into what makes something tick, Troubleshooting? Not a problem with linux. Linux actually lets me see those errorcodes, I can trace back exactly why something broke unlike windows or OSX. And if you don't care about your privacy, you won't mind if I take your social security number, bank accounts, creditcards, passwords, usernames and just let everyone in the world see. Just let them steal your identity and rack up your credit bill. right? I am ready to hit enter and let everyone see your dickpics.

Windows can be customized, too. And Windows shows you error codes, also.

Aside from that, just stop. You sound quite a bit like the "hackers" on Xbox. You also sound like a crazy conspiracy theorist. Do you also think that jet fuel can't melt steel? Oh, and threaten stealing my stuff again and the poice will be dealing with you. 

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

Currently 78/500 Games on my steam is supported.

Well, there's one pretty big compromise, right? :P

And if you don't care about your privacy, you won't mind if I take your social security number, bank accounts, creditcards, passwords, usernames and just let everyone in the world see. Just let them steal your identity and rack up your credit bill. right? I am ready to hit enter and let everyone see your dickpics.

False dilemma. Is it really so hard to keep your personal information safe on Windows? Please.

Well, there's one pretty big compromise, right? :P

False dilemma. Is it really so hard to keep your personal information safe on Windows? Please.

It isn't too horribly hard to keep your information safe on windows from the average blackhat. It is difficult to hide it from people like microsoft who could release a update, and everyone would just let it update and not even think about if that update is going to steal your credit card info.

Windows can be customized, too. And Windows shows you error codes, also.

Aside from that, just stop. You sound quite a bit like the "hackers" on Xbox. You also sound like a crazy conspiracy theorist. Do you also think that jet fuel can't melt steel? Oh, and threaten stealing my stuff again and the poice will be dealing with you. 

Eh... true it does show SOME errorcodes but I can actually understand linux error codes, and it is alot easier for me to trace issues back.

I believe you took that the wrong way. What I was trying to say was its alot easier for a big company like microsoft or apple to hide backdoors and security holes in there software to breach your privacy. then linux which is wide open and ANYBODY can look at the sourcecode and say thats not suppose to be there. I did not mean to portray I was going  to steal your information. Just trying to say It is alot easier with locked down software like windows.

Heard of the prism project? The big thing where the government was spying on everyone. Well people like me new that was all going on before snowden leaked it, we hid stuff and we were always careful to make sure our privacy wasn't be breached. You all called us crazy conspiracy theorists. But when that information was leaked.... Everyone knew we were right they just didn't want to admit. I don't care if its nudes, or math homework. its my right not to have companies and the government looking at my information unless they have a good areason to.

but few reasons

1. good learning experience,

(Very true and you quickly learn how sometimes windows limits what you can do with your hardware)

2. more "secure".

(True to an extent, as while windows has it's issues in Linux you can make your self more vulnerable if you don't understand what your doing. Port forward ssh with root enabled.. i dare you! ;))

3. much better customablity.

(This is very true cox you can make your Linux look like windows should you wish)

4. theirs a chance linux will be become mainstream in the future so learning now could be a good thing.

(The only way linux will become mainstream if more people adopt it. Most companies already have the know how and the technology to support Linux OS they just don't want to )

5. i can already fix large majority of Win/OSX issues Linux is the last step.

(Good on you mate)

For the time being idea # 2 seems like the best solution (due to gaming). That's what i use.

If you want a learning experience, instead of switching to Linux for a daily - just setup a Hyper-V Virtual Machine of it.

You could install something like CentOS (which includes a GUI if you need it) but just manage it through terminal ssh (something like PuTTY) - that will give you the best learning, as it forces you away from the point and click GUI which is just basically the same as OS-X (based on BSD).

Your computer will support both VT-d & VT-x so you can pass hardware through to it, if you want to see how it works with catalogue (driver) installs and such.

As far as security, just dont install crap on your Windows and its a pretty secure OS, especially with UAC, and a lot of the new filtering done by the browsers.

For customisability, this really depends on your experience. If you're wondering if you should even try Linux then it kinda tells me you arent really to start hacking the hell out of it as a main driver OS. Theres plenty of reskinning software out there, if you just want to make your Windows look different

Windows is fairly easy being mostly dll and binary based. Mac OS-X again has a fairly closed environment so not much can go wrong.

Its a much bigger step to compiling and making your own installs and troubleshooting general *nix, but some of the common distros like RHEL & Ubuntu have a huge amount of info out there. Just bare in mind that Linux is heavily reliant on CLI for fixes

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

well ive moved 2 SSDS over to Linux so far so good games running well :)

Im will be installing linux on my current build as my whole "400$ pc" idea gets slapped in the face by a 100$ OS, and being the broke 16 year old that i am, free-ware is a godsend (from our great lord gaben), its important to support freeware so that more devs will want to move over and support the OS, but that being said, practicality comes above all else, don't think you need to use linux as some sort of holy crusaid to slay those "pay for your license" pigs. what im getting at here is if you have the availability, and linux isn't working out, switch back, learning to deal with absolute BS as common place is the reason MS and EA support are essentially non-existant