Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

I plugged a fan LED on/ off switch into a fan a power connector. It burnt some of the plastic and was pretty scared, still works fine though!

forgot to plug in sata power and took apart computer and put it back together because i could not figure it out 

''FX-9590 Hotter than lava''

I somehow bent my CPU.

Yeah.

... You're special.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (9TB partition for general storage + 2TB partition for dumping ground), 4x 8TB WD White Label/Red (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

OptiPlex 7040M

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700, 2x16GB Mushkin Redline (stuck at 2133MHz CL13), 240GB Corsair MP510, 130w Dell power brick, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I dropped my brand new cpu on a carpet covered in dog hair. The hair stuck to the cpu like a magnet lol

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Bench tested a motherboard on an anti-static bag. 

I forgot standoffs once, thank god for surge protection. Another instance, I forgot to ground myself and a static shock happened and I cursed out loud. Luckily nothing was damaged.

Getting it all working right.... and on the finishing touch's,as everything is installed,...... you pull the front panel connectors out and with such a small space to use its a pain in the arse for fatty fingers to put them back in order in quick fashion, often rage inducing.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Durring my first build i thought cpu fan power counted as the main cpu power, thought it was the gpu so i rmad my gigabyte 4gb 270x and due to complications financially i had to buy a 7790 :C

This wasn't mine, but another person, however I feel it's still relevant.

>Built a computer on carpet, ungrounded.

I lost the part that actually clips onto metal two days after getting my anti static wrist/ankle strap. For what that's worth.

I installed my ghetto CPU Cooler (some passive tower from an HP workstation with a fan attached with twist-ties) on the wrong way. Basically made it so the fans went up an down not horizontal towards rear exhaust (i put fan on afterwards). It was a pain to take out and put back in because i don't have a backplate so i have to use 4 nuts and screws and tighten each corner individually on my lga 775 socket.....yea

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

When I was building my first pc from scratch with components I had chosen my ram arrived about a month after the rest of the system so I "Liberated" a 64 mb DIMM from the family pc to build it and install windows, When my ram came in I hit the power switch while removing ram and fried a 1 month old Athlon 2800+. at which point the CompUSA rep who helped me order my parts called the best buy I bought it from told and told them it was defective and got them to give me a Sempron 3000 as a replacement.

(The good old days where if you just had to get a new processor or motherboard that day you could go walk into best buy or compUSA and the rep in the PC components section has a clue about what he was selling)

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

getting an FX 8120 when the new 8-cores launched. (It was their entry level 8-core) I wanted to upgrade from like an old sempron or something I can't remember. But yeah should of just got a phenom II x4 or something. That thing was a joke.

My Rig "Corsair air 540, MSI Z87-G45, i5 4670k, EVGA ACX 780, Gskill sniper 2x8gb 1866 memory, Corsair CX500m modular 80+ bronze, corsiar h100i, toshiba 1.5tb HDD." / Peripherals "Acer H226HQLbid Black 21.5" (Main monitor), Acer S200HLAbd Black 20" (auxiliary), Razer blackwidow ultimate 2013, razer naga 2013, razer goliathus 444x355 speed edition, Sennheiser HD8 DJs"

my roccat isku keyboard. wtf was i thinking when i bought this.

hellooooooooo

Friend tapped my on the shoulder and I dropped a D14 on a motherboard.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

I remember back in 2011 purchasing these trash earphones for over 200 f*cking dollars. they broke in a week and they were real and not fake lol..

sulBZ2p.jpg

finishing up my first build, i took my gpu out of the box and tried to put it in. Everything was lined out but it wouldn't go in. I was getting worried something was wrong. But i took it out of the case and saw i forgot to take the plastic protector off the pins

Main Rig

CPU-
AMD FX 8350 | CPU Cooler- CM hyper 212 Evo | GPU- Radeon HD 7970 | RAM- G.SKill Ripjawz X 2x4 | Storage- 1TB WD Black | 128gb Plextor Ms5 | Case- BitFenix Shinobi   | Motherboard- Gigabyte AM3+ UD3 | PSU- Rosewill hive 750 watt

Media PC

CPU- A10-5800k | GPU- Onboard | RAM- Ripjaws X 4Gb | Storage- Seagate 1TB | Case- Bitfenix Prodigy M | Motherboard- MSI A75M-E35 | PSU- Antec 350W Basiq

Mechanical Keyboards!

after hearing and watching so much hype, i bought one.

didnt like it, so i bought another with a different switch.

now ihave two i dont like and wish to try a third.

chasing a loose end i reckon... BAD BAD BAD.. elicit drug

Oh Yeah.. also Corsair H100.

if you're Australian, think twice about buying corsair AIO

cost me $140 to buy. its faulty now and Corsair requires me to ship it back to China, costing $60+

fuck off! despite australian consumer law outlining that the consumer has the right to request the reseller (store) to handle all warranty claims

I meyself haven't done anything bad to my pc. But my friend who built his a few weeks ago, put the front panel usb connector in the wrong socket of the motherboard (Don't know which one since I was only listening through skype what he was doing) and probably because of the different voltages and wattages, he fried 2 usb sticks trying to update the BIOS and fried his Razer keyboard.
The first usb stick became really hot, the keyboard just didn't work at all on his old and new pc(even though it worked 2 seconds before the accident and apparently he saw sparks when he put the second usb stick in.

My System:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X - CPU Cooling: Corsair Hydro H100i Platinum - Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X570-F - RAM: Neo 16 GB 3600 Mhz - GPU: 2x Sapphire Vapor X R9 290 OC in crossfire - OS SSD: Samsung Nvme SSD 256 GB Second SSD Samsung 840 Pro 512 GB - Games: RAID 0 3 x Seagate 1 TB HDD - Case: NZXT H710i - PSU: Corsair AX860i
Former Rig Picture: http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/image/10157-4-pc-may-2014/

I have concluded that after reading this thread, everyone hates standoffs as do I.

Burn it with fire!!!

When upgrading my case and MB many moons ago, I didn't use them. The board kept intermittently turning off and not want to turn back on. I was convinced that I was on a string of DOAs till I finally realized what I was doing wrong. It always usually takes a fresh set of eyes to get your head back on straight with stuff like this.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

nothing i have done has messed up a computer yet

used the extra standoffs to screw in the motherboard

plugged a floppy power connector into a pwm header  (to be fair my friend who helped me build it had it close by so i thought after i was cleaning i must of knocked it out) this was 2 yrs ago when i didnt know much about building 

accidentally pulled out the pin housing for the fan controller on a h100i

turned on computer without plugging in gpu power (fast fans are fast)

and recently turned on my computer after doing some better cable management and forgot to plug in the power to the h100i for a little over a minute until i motherboard started beeping and shut off

also i do build most of my computers on carpet havent had a big problem yet hopefully never do

its GE (pause) TechNicks

my rig plus everything i have bought for it http://pcpartpicker.com/p/30sNV