Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

That guy who was dead set in buying a 500 dollars or less Wal-Mart PC for AutoCad work.

You gotta do you girl. I always say you gotta do you. And if he's doing him, then who's doing you? Because right now, it seems like no one's doing you.

- Stefani Stilton (she / her) 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍⚧️

My friend bought an Alienware 14 with an i7-4700MQ, 750GB 7200 RPM HDD, and a GT 750m... for $1100. What a waste.

CPU: AMD FX-8120 | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Contac 30 | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 | Memory: Kingston 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 | Storage: WD 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 | Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I | PSU: Thermaltake Black Widow 850W

Well, a new one for me... a few days ago an uncle of one of my best friends told me his 9800GTX would destroy my R9 290 (Flashed to a 290X)...... BECAUSE Nvidia is years ahead of AMD.... -___-

After talking a bit and telling him I had a 9800GT and still have a 9500GT he then proceeded to tell me I would be better off sticking the 9500GT in my gaming PC... I literally just walked out of the house laughing after that one.

invite the guy over and show him what he's missing out on

CPU: AMD FX-8120 | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Contac 30 | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 | Memory: Kingston 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 | Storage: WD 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 | Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I | PSU: Thermaltake Black Widow 850W

Well, a new one for me... a few days ago an uncle of one of my best friends told me his 9800GTX would destroy my R9 290 (Flashed to a 290X)...... BECAUSE Nvidia is years ahead of AMD.... -___-

After talking a bit and telling him I had a 9800GT and still have a 9500GT he then proceeded to tell me I would be better off sticking the 9500GT in my gaming PC... I literally just walked out of the house laughing after that one.

You sure that guy wasn't just joking?

You gotta do you girl. I always say you gotta do you. And if he's doing him, then who's doing you? Because right now, it seems like no one's doing you.

Back in 2003 when my Athlon XP died because of a not properly installed cooler.

4 Weeks later some of the capacitors in my PSU blew up - it smelled like hell, but was still working.

Not to mention i changed it immediately and never went with a cheap Psu again.

I have 6 years old no-name cheapest PSU in the shop that is still running without problems. It's in my home server which is up basically for 2 years 24/7 :D

My friend bought an Alienware 14 with an i7-4700MQ, 750GB 7200 RPM HDD, and a GT 750m... for $1100. What a waste.

I don't see that as bad as you think it is. For a gaming laptop that would be actually decently priced... In EU that is at least: a lot of cheaper-end gaming laptops hover around 700€ - 800€ mark, and in USD that gaming laptop would be just a bit over 800€. Yeah, you could get cheaper, but that's not (too) horribly overpriced IMO.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

I don't see that as bad as you think it is. For a gaming laptop that would be actually decently priced... In EU that is at least: a lot of cheaper-end gaming laptops hover around 700€ - 800€ mark, and in USD that gaming laptop would be just a bit over 800€. Yeah, you could get cheaper, but that's not (too) horribly overpriced IMO.

the laptop hardly can play Minecraft, he lags on everything. it sucks.

For the specs you said it has (or had) it shouldn't do that. It has some issues, software or hardware side.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Well, my i3 laptop with integrated graphics can play MC at 90FPS. And my 9400GT which runs at 100ºC idle can play it at 70FPS. That laptop probably has an issue in there.

down there....

down there....

down there....

down there....

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Oh, shit. 

photo-thumb-22427.jpg?_r=1401840602

lol he isn't serious tho, he knows his shit with computers and knows Intel is better

1. I bought an OCZ PSU.

2. Once I was connecting the Q-connectors, I needed to focus, and always when I'm focusing I open my mouth, and then some of my saliva fell on the motherboard...

Linus getting DDoS attacks. 

You sure that guy wasn't just joking?

nope he is a huge crap talker, he tried to tell me the subaru BRZ was AWD and his LT1 has 900hp N/A on pump gas...

Main rig

CPU: I7 4820K @4.8GHz || Cooler: Corsair H100 || Display: LG 34UM95 || MOBO: Asus Sabertooth x79 || RAM: AMD 1600MHz 2x 4GB || GPU: Two AMD R9 290's @1050MHz core 1400MHz Memory || Case: Cooler master HAF 922 || SSD: Samsung 830 128GB and PNY XLR8 120GB SSD in raid 0 || HDD: 2x Seagate barracuda 1.5TB
Guest rig
CPU: I5 3330S || MOBO: ECS H61H2-I5 || Ram: 2x 2GB Samsung 1333MHz || GPU: Radeon HD 6970 || PSU: Antec Earth-watts 750watt
HTPC
CPU: AMD Phenom II X3 720BE unlocked 4th core @3.7GHz || GPU: low profile Geforce 9500GT || random 2x 2GB ddr2 ram (don't feel like looking) || Cooler: some rosewill cooler

nope he is a huge crap talker, he tried to tell me the subaru BRZ was AWD and his LT1 has 900hp N/A on pump gas...

no, just no.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

no, just no.

People like that just piss me off. Like why the hell lie and spread false information? Next time I'm there I'll record it and post it on the forums.

Main rig

CPU: I7 4820K @4.8GHz || Cooler: Corsair H100 || Display: LG 34UM95 || MOBO: Asus Sabertooth x79 || RAM: AMD 1600MHz 2x 4GB || GPU: Two AMD R9 290's @1050MHz core 1400MHz Memory || Case: Cooler master HAF 922 || SSD: Samsung 830 128GB and PNY XLR8 120GB SSD in raid 0 || HDD: 2x Seagate barracuda 1.5TB
Guest rig
CPU: I5 3330S || MOBO: ECS H61H2-I5 || Ram: 2x 2GB Samsung 1333MHz || GPU: Radeon HD 6970 || PSU: Antec Earth-watts 750watt
HTPC
CPU: AMD Phenom II X3 720BE unlocked 4th core @3.7GHz || GPU: low profile Geforce 9500GT || random 2x 2GB ddr2 ram (don't feel like looking) || Cooler: some rosewill cooler

1. I bought an OCZ PSU.

2. Once I was connecting the Q-connectors, I needed to focus, and always when I'm focusing I open my mouth, and then some of my saliva fell on the motherboard...

I've done that before as well, not the saliva but the purchasing of an OCZ PSU. When the fan on that thing turned faulty I sold it on eBay for near enough the same price I bought it for over a year on!  :D Never again!

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Well all subarus are AWD, exept the brz, so it is understandable how he would think that it would be AWD.

I knew it was RWD and non turbo, but he swore up and down there was a package for a turbo and AWD.

I was pretty big into Subaru's back when I had one. They actually started there 100% AWD lineup in 96 I had a FWD 5Speed 93 legacy.

Main rig

Guest rig
HTPC

Eh. Mistakes happen. I wasn't there so I don't know what happened, but the worst that can happen is you two caps-locking each other to death. There is no point in getting all pissed off at each other. Its just not worth the energy.

xD it was in person, I was visiting my best friend, his uncle is just a derp. :P

Main rig

Guest rig
HTPC

Thought the realtek logo was a virus, so i deleted it lol

I can see here that many people were forgetting plugging in cables, when I started to play with PCs I ALWAYS forgot to connect the CPU cable ;)

I mentioned to my aunt I use a desktop. She said "Can you even buy desktops anymore?" Which is sad because she uses one at work.

I weep for the species.

He who dies with the most tools wins.

Thought the realtek logo was a virus, so i deleted it lol

I know right? That little blue crab logo, EVERY TIME. *shudder*

I think I'll stick to my made up false reality that this guy is just joking.

My primary school computers teacher told us we had  to click and then press enter to open programs on the desktop... Not double click, click then hit enter.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11