Top intake fan noise, top exhaust fan silent. Hear me out!

Baoty
Go to solution Solved by Aniallation,

Can it be that it's automatically adjusted according to how hot my case is?

Yes most motherboards will automatically adjust fan speed based on case temperature

I bought two noctua 140mm NF-A14. I wanted to mount them as top intake to get positive airpressure inside. However - when I use the fans as intake, the air makes a really annoynig sound, but when I use them as exhaust they are completely silent. 

Top intake = weird noise
Top exhaust = silent.

Help please..

Edit: It seems to be the combination of my fan being intake, and my case's top holes. I have currently one fan mounted as intake, and one not mounted to experiment, both with the same Y-cable to the same header on the motherboard.

I bought two noctua 140mm NF-A14. I wanted to mount them as top intake to get positive airpressure inside. However - when I use the fans as intake, the air makes a really annoynig sound, but when I use them as exhaust they are completely silent. 

If your case has no top filter and the fans are right up against the grille, then this a very common issue. With the fans as intake the blades spinning are right up against the grille which causes turbulence and therefore that "weird noise"

I had to modify my case in order to stop this noise when using intake fans.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/288580-cooler-master-n200-front-fan-noise-fix/

"Rawr XD"

If your case has no top filter and the fans are right up against the grille, then this a very common issue. With the fans as intake the blades spinning are right up against the grille which causes turbulence and therefore that "weird noise"

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/288580-cooler-master-n200-front-fan-noise-fix/

I figured that out yeah.. So the only way to fix this is by applying a filter myself? Will this solve it 100%?

I figured that out yeah.. So the only way to fix this is by applying a filter myself? Will this solve it 100%?

A filter won't solve it 100% but it helps because it reduces the noise from buffeting and turbulence.

Honestly for top fans make them exhaust, since hot air naturally rises. 

"Rawr XD"

A filter won't solve it 100% but it helps because it reduces the noise from buffeting and turbulence.

Honestly for top fans make them exhaust, since hot air naturally rises. 

Yeah thats the logical solution.. But how am I supposed to get positive airpressure then? I have a SP fan intake infront 140mm, and a 120mm exhaust fan rear. Now I have two 140mm top fans left..

Yeah thats the logical solution.. But how am I supposed to get positive airpressure then? I have a SP fan intake infront 140mm, and a 120mm exhaust fan rear. Now I have two 140mm top fans left..

Make rear fan intake

"Rawr XD"

Make rear fan intake

Wont that create the same problem with the noise?

Wont that create the same problem with the noise?

To a lesser extent. I do the same in my PC, front and rear intake, top exhaust. However on my case the rear fan grille is not flat against the fan, it protrudes outwards, so noise doesn't happen.

"Rawr XD"

By the way, I have the opportinity to lower the rpm to 750 with a low noise adapter. That fixes the issue, but will it still be good enough with 2x750rpm?

To a lesser extent. I do the same in my PC, front and rear intake, top exhaust. However on my case the rear fan grille is not flat against the fan, it protrudes outwards, so noise doesn't happen.

ah oki.. Mine has the same rear as top.

By the way, I have the opportinity to lower the rpm to 750 with a low noise adapter. That fixes the issue, but will it still be good enough with 2x750rpm?

ah oki.. Mine has the same rear as top.

Make it so that the rear fan has LNA, top fans run  at normal speed

"Rawr XD"

Make it so that the rear fan has LNA, top fans run  at normal speed

Then I will still get negative airpressure though.. And also I saw something weird; the fans should operate at 1500 rpm normally, and 1200 with LNA, but the values I get are 1200rpm without, 750 with. What is that all about? I see the fan speeds in the bios.

There is another option.

Be cool like me and get an ap123.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

There is another option.

Be cool like me and get an ap123.

Would be a good suggestion before OP bought fans, but not now

"Rawr XD"

My fans seems to be running at 1000, 750 with LNA. Theyre supposed to be 1500/1200LNA. Any ideas why`?

My fans seems to be running at 1000, 750 with LNA. Theyre supposed to be 1500/1200LNA. Any ideas why`?

Are they 3-pin or 4-pin? And are you running them off the motherboard header?

"Rawr XD"

Yeah.

You can't link an ap123 video without ap123 man paying a visit tho.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Are they 3-pin or 4-pin? And are you running them off the motherboard header?

4 pin, directly to a motherboard header

4 pin, directly to a motherboard header

Is your motherboard set to run the fan at full speed, or does it change fan speed based on load/temperature?

"Rawr XD"

Is your motherboard set to run the fan at full speed, or does it change fan speed based on load/temperature?

I dunno where in the bios I do that. I checked the "monitor" tab where the fan speeds show up, and all I can change is the lowest rpm I allow, which is lame..? Or am I doing something wrong xD Motherboard: P9X79 le.

Yes most motherboards will automatically adjust fan speed based on case temperature

"Rawr XD"

Alright.. I guess thats our answer. Cheers for the help man. Gotta figure out whether Ill keep them as intake with LNA, or get filter, or swap to exhaust.