More Regional Restrictions on Steam gifts come to light.

Apparently, gifted steam games can no longer be played outside the country that they were redeemed. This is retro active to 12/2014! If your like me and use reddit steam swap or gift of games. you need to pay more attention to this so you dont get burned!

http://www.pcgamer.com/new-regional-restrictions-on-steam-gifts-come-to-light/

Reasoning From the article:

"Those restrictions were put into place to keep users from taking advantage of localized pricing by purchasing games in regions where they're especially cheap—Russia, say—and then transferring them to accounts based on regions where they cost a great deal more. But now they've been extended to cover not only where games may be activated, but where they may be played."

Example used:

kxj8FBlHfV_U.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

Left 4 Dead 2 region thing is stupid. I bought one in Thailand when it was launched, now that I am back in Canada I can't play it cuz its locked. Funny thing is, I would buy it again but I can't because I already got it. 

Apparently, gifted steam games can no longer be played outside the country that they were redeemed. This is retro active to 12/2014! If your like me and use reddit steam swap or gift of games. you need to pay more attention to this so you dont get burned!

http://www.pcgamer.com/new-regional-restrictions-on-steam-gifts-come-to-light/

Great, more market segmentation.

When will they stahp?!

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

The downfall of steam has begun....

We only have (Possbly) MS and EA...

i shudder at the thought, that one day, we may find Origin less intrusive..

This is bullshit.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Apparently, gifted steam games can no longer be played outside the country that they were redeemed. This is retro active to 12/2014! If your like me and use reddit steam swap or gift of

Also, update your thread mate

Posting Guidelines:

When creating a thread in the News subforum, please make sure your post meets the following criteria:

• Your thread must include some original input to tell the reader why it is relevant to them, and what your personal opinion on the topic is.
  • Your thread must include a link to at least one reputable source. Most of the time, this should be a respected news site.
  • Your thread should also include quotes from the cited source(s). While you shouldn't just copy the entire article, your quote should give the reader a summary of the article in a way that gives the key details, but also leaves room for them to read the full article on the linked website. Please use quote tags (the speech bubble at the top of the editor, under the  :)) to show that you have copied this content from another site.
  • The title of your thread must be relevant to the topic and should give a reader a good idea of the contents of the thread. Copying the title of the source is permitted but absolutely not required.
  • If your article is about a product or some form of media, images are always appreciated, although they are not required.

Well glad I got my copy of GTA V  for $30 while it lasted.

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

Interesting, honestly though I don't care much as this won't affect me. I only buy my games through Steam and not from other non-Steam seller, I know that I might end up paying more at times but it enables me to avoid things like this.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

It's not surprising that they've done this. It's effectively removing our right to buy games cheaper elsewhere. #Greedy :(

It's a good thing that I don't buy my games via Steam, so they can't stop me. :P

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

fuck, this might be bad, gonna be moving countries soon D:

they better work though ive i have to use euros to pay even though im in c. america

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

fuck, this might be bad, gonna be moving countries soon D:

they better work though ive i have to use euros to pay even though im in c. america

Ya, I wonder what happens when you move to a new country...

i5-4690K@4.5 GHz // Asus Z87-Pro // HyperX Fury 8GB DDR3-1600 // Crucial BX100 250GB // Sapphire Nitro R9 390 // EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 // Fractal Design Define S // be quiet! Pure Rock & Pure Wings 2 // BenQ XL2730Z // Corsair Vengeance K70 // Logitech G403 Wireless // Sennheiser HD 598 SE

This is insane! Steam is falling and falling fast.

I hardly knew ye. :(

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

The only cause of a price difference (after accounting for exchange rates) should be local taxes, e.g sales tax or vat/gst.  In Australia I should be able to buy the game for the same as the US plus the 10% sales tax. nothing more.  Anything above this is basically regional discrimination.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Blame those users who buy games on other countries for a much cheaper price. They are the main reason steam did this. :D

Developer by day, Gamer by night

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

I've only been gifted a game once, and that was from the forum. I'm honestly not too concerned about how this issue will affect me, but the principles of it make me upset.

I live in australia. we recently recieved a game that was an 80% markup before currency conversion, on a digital product with no exports fees, distribution, or shipping costs.. Region locking has a place in the case of a currency completely crashing. But honestly get over yourselves. this is old news. games were already region locked. it just wasn't as intrusive as this.

Left 4 Dead 2 region thing is stupid. I bought one in Thailand when it was launched, now that I am back in Canada I can't play it cuz its locked. Funny thing is, I would buy it again but I can't because I already got it. 

But that's actually the real problem here, not the lock itself.

I am absolutely fine with that, because I am pretty sure that with the salary I have where live now I can buy many more things in those relative poor countries with a crashed economy.

I don't want to sound harsh, but those reduced prices are not for the spoiled kids that want everything as cheap as possible, but it's to legitimately allow people in those poor places to have a chance to buy those things without spending a quarter of their monthly income.

A game is still a luxury item, if you cant afford it, that's unfortunate but you can still move on with your life.

I wont blame you for trying get around the system, but you should not complain if they try to stop that.

If Steam wants to do things properly, it has to put in place the support to help people in your condition, i.e. updating your country details to unlock the game, or whatever they can do.

I will be fine with those restrictions as long as they can find a way to support and help people in legitimate situations like yours.

I wont be upset if they lock something down, but I will be upset if they don't do anything to help someone that legitimately need support.

But that's actually the real problem here, not the lock itself.

I am absolutely fine with that, because I am pretty sure that with the salary I have where live now I can buy many more things in those relative poor countries with a crashed economy.

I don't want to sound harsh, but those reduced prices are not for the spoiled kids that want everything as cheap as possible, but it's to legitimately allow people in those poor places to have a chance to buy those things without spending a quarter of their monthly income.

A game is still a luxury item, if you cant afford it, that's unfortunate but you can still move on with your life.

I wont blame you for trying get around the system, but you should not complain if they try to stop that.

If Steam wants to do things properly, it has to put in place the support to help people in your condition, i.e. updating your country details to unlock the game, or whatever they can do.

I will be fine with those restrictions as long as they can find a way to support and help people in legitimate situations like yours.

I wont be upset if they lock something down, but I will be upset if they don't do anything to help someone that legitimately need support.

Not Harsh at all. Maybe if they can implement a way for people to have multiple CD keys for a game, like one for different regions. That way, I can have my keys for different places in the world

Quite frankly I'm baffled by this and confused about the fairly casual reception some users are giving. To me this comes across as simply money grabbing, developers (including Valve) have noticed that users will quite happily shop elsewhere to save a few $$$. Placing locks such as these are not for the customers benefit.

Also I continue to believe that if I purchase a gift copy of a game on Steam I should have the right to send to whoever I want, wherever they are on the planet. I paid for it, I own it (although the laws on that can be unclear) and I can do what I please with it. OK I get that some people abuse it but they are a very small minority and if Valve wanted to stop that then just place a limit on the number of a gifts a user can send in a certain period (May already be a thing?). Simples.

Funny how things have been shifted isn't it, not long ago and still today on some platforms (Wii U) games on consoles were region-locked but now the XO/PS4  are region-free (To clarify physical items are region-free, digital content from store is region locked). So while consoles are becoming more open the PC platform is slowly becoming a closed system dictated (Because that is exactly how I see it) by the largest digital distributor on the PC (Steam obviously). 

Project Tank

CPU: Intel i5 4670k :: Motherboard: Asus Z87 Pro :: RAM: 2x4GB Patroit 1866Mhz Intel Extreme Masters Edition :: GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 280X :: Case: Fractal Design Define R2 XL :: Storage: 1TB Western Digital Black,3TB Western Digital Green, 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD :: PSU: XFX Pro Series Black Edition 850W :: Display(s): LG 23EA63V :: Cooling: Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler.

Not Harsh at all. Maybe if they can implement a way for people to have multiple CD keys for a game, like one for different regions. That way, I can have my keys for different places in the world

I feel like how Valve is going about this is a classic "right idea, wrong execution".