Support for X-fire but not SLI?

Yes. AMD allows CrossFireX with almost anything, but nVidia requires PCIe x8 slots and a certification from them.

I suspect that with this board it wasn't just certification but hardware limitations as well. One slot is running on a gen 3.0 controller, the other on a Gen 2.0 controller.

I suspect that with this board it wasn't just certification but hardware limitations as well. One slot is running on a gen 3.0 controller, the other on a Gen 2.0 controller.

i safely say the second slot is power by the PCH chipset and not from the CPU

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

As long as it's x8 it's fine for nVidia to certify. Gen 2 and Gen 3 won't affect GPU performance.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

As long as it's x8 it's fine for nVidia to certify. Gen 2 and Gen 3 won't affect GPU performance.

more the mix. I suspect nividea wouldn't enjoy that very much with the way they lock down their sli.

more the mix. I suspect nividea wouldn't enjoy that very much with the way they lock down their sli.

the reason for the lock down is for royalties also it to assure decent performance for multi GPU setups

ppl complain of poor performance on two GPU setups only me to find out the board is the problem

this is common for CF setups

i see 280X 290/X in the PCI-E 2.0 x4 slot 

*mega facepalm* 

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.