I don't want to be "that Apple fanboy" but come on guys

gergy008

Whenever Apple is hitting the news, people are hitting the forums to rant about how stupid, underpowered and overpriced the latest Apple device is.

I'm angry at Apple. And I'm extremely open minded, so what you're about to read is in no way biased towards Apple because I'm a fanboy, I just see what I believe is fair.

Let's start with the Apple Watch.

Come on.

$350 for a watch is not bad, yo. Welcome to the capitalist 21st century. People still spend that much and more on a watch that tells the time and does shit all else. If you're going to spend $350+ on a watch that does a little more than tell the time and tell how long it's been since ya pressed the "Start stopwatch" button, you might as well get the Apple watch to go along with your "overpriced" iPhone and have it do a fuckin' bunch of cool stuff too.

Voice control. On your watch. That's like... pppfffsshhhh

Totally worth the price, amirite? No? Why not? Just Google "watch" and be amazed at the prices of all the dumb watches out there. Might as well throw in an extra, what, $75 and get the Apple Watch rite?

TL;DR FOR THIS SECTION: The Apple watch is a reasonable price for a watch. Stop frettin' over it.

And the new MacBook. Oh the new MacBook.

You love the new MacBook.

Well did you know that the Apple Watch and the new MacBook both come with something that is so bloody good and no-one even cares for some reason.

The new MacBook comes with a force-sensitive touchpad. oooOooo. "What about it?", I hear you cry...

Now for those that haven't used a fairly recent MacBook before (Which is the majority of you, and I mean used it personally for more than a month) you won't understand how good the trackpad actually is on the MacBook. It's like going from a blackberry-style qwerty keyboard on a phone to going to a smartphone touchscreen. It's fucking awesome. Apple started the multitouch trend on laptop trackpads with all the gestures and shit, but they are so handy. Trust me when I say that.

You've probably used a multitouch trackpad on a normal laptop, you know with the two finger scroll and the pinch to zoom rotate, but those laptops do these gestures in what feels like 15 fps.

I mean scrolling with a mouse that has the noticeable notches in it suits the snapping scroll thing, but when you're scrolling on a trackpad and it's snapping like it's a Polaroid OneStep SX-70 you know that something needs to change. That's why the Apple trackpad is already so great. But the force gestures are another leap forward from that. Without doing anything but press a little bit more you have access to another massive array of options, and you're not doing anything more. You're getting more functionality for the same area, the same feel and the same effort.

I really hope everyone sees the MacBook trackpad and notices how good it really is, and I hope that you, next time you pass an Apple retail store will just go in, you don't have to buy anything, but just look at the trackpad because it's the single most important factor that made me love my good ol' 2012 MacBook.

I hate the single port too on the new MacBook, but at least USB-C will make it into mainstream adoption quicker now as a result. Apple have been a big contributor the the USB type C project for ages now. And the keyboard, it's not mechanical so most won't care (I don't care much either) but I wish I had it on my laptop.

TL;DR FOR THIS SECTION: You're missing some really cool inventions that will change your next laptop in the future, and slating the company for coming up with it.

I had to get this out there because the amount of ignorance going around is really grinding my gears. But I feel much better now.

Thanks for reading, have fun.

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Mobo: ASUS Strix X570-I Gaming ITX | GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Founders Edition | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB 3600MHz | Storage: Corsair Force MP600 1TB PCI-e Gen 4 & 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Cooler: Stock Prism | Case: NZXT H210i | PSU: Corsair CS500M

-snip-

these two images basically summarize my thoughts:

The Apple Watch:

post-117080-0-57553400-1426125153.jpg

The new Macbook:

post-117080-0-58658500-1426125168.jpg

Keep in mind I'm not a mac hater; I own a 15" rMBP... >.>

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

-snip-

I agree halfway. $350 isn't bad... but $10,000-$17,000 for the amount of gold in the Edition edition (also, wtf with the name...)? It's a massive, blatant money grab. And it's a pretty big smack in the face.

The new macbook is nice. I plan on buying one. BUT it should be priced to suit itself, some people can't afford $1,600 for a 512gb ssd

Edit: But that doesn't matter... hundreds of thousands of people will be at a glass-walled store at launch... that's why the name iSheep is around.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

I agree halfway. $350 isn't bad... but $10,000-$17,000 for the amount of gold in there? It's a massive, blatant money grab.

Coming to think of it, why doesn't someone open a business where you can send your plain apple watch in and get it electroplated with 14-karat gold...

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

Coming to think of it, why doesn't someone open a business where you can send your plain apple watch in and get it electroplated with 14-karat gold...

It'll happen.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

shut-up-ill-keep-my-money.jpg  Dubt that this will happen...

shut-up-and-take-my-money-10.png

9590|EK-Copper|Sabertooth 990FXR2.0|16GB RIPJAWS Z|Dual MSI Gaming 290|Corsiar AX1200i|Corsair 760T|3TB Seagate+Dual 120GB Samsung 850EVO in Raid 0

LTT'S Official Radeon Master Race Club Founder-Predicts TitanX2 (Prediction Date: 3-30-15)

XFX Needs To Make A 3 Fan Cooler 

these two images basically summarize my thoughts:

The Apple Watch:

attachicon.gifaN9lZeq.jpg

The new Macbook:

attachicon.gifFx0h1YD.jpg

Keep in mind I'm not a mac hater; I own a 15" rMBP... >.>

I really like those images :D

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Mobo: ASUS Strix X570-I Gaming ITX | GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Founders Edition | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB 3600MHz | Storage: Corsair Force MP600 1TB PCI-e Gen 4 & 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Cooler: Stock Prism | Case: NZXT H210i | PSU: Corsair CS500M

reasonable price

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

really cool inventions

:D  :D :D  

not a fanboy

:lol:  :lol: :D  :D

I could say that even more so with a lot more companies than Apple ;0

Spoiler

snip

I sincerely hope that you are both open-minded but also strong enough to just ignore some of the stupid inbound comments. I personally would like to have a reasonable discussion but this thread isn't private so haters inbound.

Although Apple hasn't created many technologies, their implementation is FANTASTIC (most of the time). I have never owned a macbook but I LOVE their trackpads, my only gripe is right clicking feels unnatural.

Ok so thing's i'd like to point out.

1. I may be wrong, but i'm pretty sure their trackpad is good not because the actual trackpad is, but because of its use in OsX. What I mean is if you installed windows on the macbook, I think it would zoom in notches like you stated.

2. The watch is 350, but the problem is that as a piece of tech new models are released yearly and it gets outdated. Also battery life degrades and it's not as good of an experience as when you first got it. A normal expensive watch on the other hand lasts a very long time.

3. I'm not sure whats awesome about the new force trackpad. I understand that it can sense force but as MKBHD pointed out it actually doesn't move. It uses vibration to imitate a mechanical click so I think it's one of those things they had to do because the new macbook is so thin, and they are releasing it as a new feature. Ok it is a feature cause of the "force click" but I don't think it's awesome as you are expecting it to be.

4. For the same price as the new macbook you can get another macbook that's more powerful and convenient because you don't have to carry adapters around (and not that much bigger)

A few things i'd like to point out, let me know what you think

EDIT: WOOOOW  when I was typing this up there were no comments

I agree halfway. $350 isn't bad... but $10,000-$17,000 for the amount of gold in the Edition edition (also, wtf with the name...)? It's a massive, blatant money grab. And it's a pretty big smack in the face.

The new macbook is nice. I plan on buying one. BUT it should be priced to suit itself, some people can't afford $1,600 for a 512gb ssd

Edit: But that doesn't matter... hundreds of thousands of people will be at a glass-walled store at launch... that's why the name iSheep is around.

Have you seen the Australian prices for both products? We're getting charged well above the currency conversion. That's ludicrous, it really is. :o

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Edit: But that doesn't matter... hundreds of thousands of people will be at a glass-walled store at launch... that's why the name iSheep is around.

Inspired by Ferrari LaFerrari. :D

Have you seen the Australian prices for both products? We're getting charged well above the currency conversion. That's ludicrous, it really is. :o

Link? I haven't seen them.

Inspired by Ferrari LaFerrari. :D

Clearly... the moneygrab part more than the smack... if you buy a car that expensive... eh.

1. I may be wrong, but i'm pretty sure their trackpad is good not because the actual trackpad is but because of its use in OsX. What I mean is if you installed windows on the macbook, I think it would zoom in notches like you stated.

2. The watch is 350, but the problem is that as a piece of tech new models are released yearly and it gets outdated. Also battery life degrades and it's not as good of an experience as when you first got it. A normal expensive watch on the other hand lasts a very long time.

3. I'm not sure whats awesome about the new force trackpad. I understand that it can sense force but as MKBHD pointed out it actually doesn't move. It uses vibration to imitate a mechanical click so I think it's one of those things they had to do because the new macbook is so thin, and they are releasing it as a new feature. Ok it is a feature cause of the "force click" but I don't think it's awesome as you are expecting it to be.

4. For the same price as the new macbook you can get another macbook that's more powerful and convenient because you don't have to carry adapters around (and not that much bigger)

A few things i'd like to point out, let me know what you think

Gladly :D I love your reply, much maturity, such wow.

1. Correct, the trackpad sucks in Windows. The limiting factor is software, if Apple could be arsed to make a reasonable Windows driver, it wouldn't be a reason to get OS X though :-(

2. I agree, they kinda solved this by making the battery replaceable, but what I like is that Apple keeps their products working for a very long time. This isn't Android like people assume it will be, A newer model doesn't automatically mean that the old one is "obsolete". Why doesn't anyone complain that Rolex make new model of watches?? EDIT: The iPhone 4 was supported for 4 years. That's fine imho, and it still works after that it just doesn't have software updates.

3. I think it's not awesome right now, but holy hell does it have so much potential. Apple devs are usually very creative and I can't wait to see what comes out. I might even write my own apps.

4. True. But for those that don't need adapters, and the products they do have can be used wirelessly (This is something that Intel is asking Apple to focus on. Intel wants everything to be wireless and because they are long term partners, this is something that Apple is willing to help with)

What do you think?

Spoiler

OT: Only ~28 posts till 12K posts. :o

@Aniallation

2. I agree, they kinda solved this by making the battery replaceable, but what I like is that Apple keeps their products working for a very long time. This isn't Android like people assume it will be, A newer model doesn't automatically mean that the old one is "obsolete". Why doesn't anyone complain that Rolex make new model of watches??

Not true... do you remember the first iPad? And my 2012 MacBook pro is just now getting fixed from logic board issues. This will be the 4th repair on it.

Spoiler

EDIT: WOOOOW  when I was typing this up there were no comments

Welcome to LTT forums mate. Where posts appear on new threads in a matter of seconds. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

gergy008, on 11 Mar 2015 - 7:00 PM, said:

I could say that even more so with a lot more companies than Apple ;0

it is a money grab. your phone is mobile and does everything that stupid watch can x1000.

it is ridiculously  overpriced. just apple being greedy. as every business that as ever existed does.

I have a  iphone.

CPU: i9 19300k////GPU: RTX 4090////RAM: 64gb DDR5 5600mhz ////MOBO: Aorus z790 Elite////MONITORS: 3 LG 38" 3840x1600 WIDESCREEN MONITORS

-snip snip-

-snipy snip-

Love both of your well written comments, very well educated (IMO), and very unbiased. I'd love to talk to the both of you extensively about the pros and cons of Apple and their "shenanigans" one day!

EDIT: I should also note my largest gripe about Apple. They release "New and Innovative" products every year, that are really nothing to brag about. Just great implementation. This time is mildly different with the new MacBook. I LOVE the addition of USB Type-C, but giving us only one port? To also be used for charging? Come on guys, we all know a full size would have fit. A full I/O could have fit if you moved some stuff around a bit. The very least you could have done is given us a second Type-C. And where in the hell is my Kensington (cable) lock? That is a necessity on a +$1000 device. Again, come on. @gergy008 @bobhays

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

Not true... do you remember the first iPad? And my 2012 MacBook pro is just now getting fixed from logic board issues. This will be the 4th repair on it.

I agree, but Apple is learning from mistakes, and I assume they would have thought to keep the product going a little bit longer than a year or two. The battery is designed to last 3, I think that's how long it will be before this iteration will be "obsolete"

Spoiler

I agree, but Apple is learning from mistakes, and I assume they would have thought to keep the product going a little bit longer than a year or two. The battery is designed to last 3, I think that's how long it will be before this iteration will be "obsolete"

They didn't learn.. they were threatened with a lawsuit over the massive failure rate on the logic boards.

And 3 years... so 5700 bucks a year for the gold one?

Link? I haven't seen them.

Okay, here's the U.S. Apple site: http://www.apple.com/macbook/specs/

And here's the Australian Apple site: http://www.apple.com/au/macbook/specs/

Now use Google to do the currency conversion for the U.S. prices and convert them to Australian prices.