AMD cpu's bending the pins - a test.

I was bored at work today so I tried bending the pins on an AMD cpu and I found it harder than I thought it would be, they can handle a fair bit of pressure.

This was surprising to me because I constantly hear people chant: DON'T BEND THE PINS!

Also, I found it really easy to bend the pins back, I did so with a usb.

I'm not suggesting anyone does this and will not be held responsible if they do.

It's really easy to fix AMD pins, just grab a mechanical pencil or credit card and you're good. I've rubbed a AMD CPU on my face once and bent no pins. 

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

I accidentally drag mine on jacket one time. No pent pins at all!

CPU: AMD FX 8320  CPU Cooler: 212 Evo GPU: Asus GTX 750 Ti @ 1400MHz RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2x4gb) MOBO: ASUS M5A97 R2.0 Power Supply: Evga G2 650 Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB, San Disk Ultra 240 GB SSD Case: Corsair 230t Orange

I once bent two whole rows of pins on my phenom 1075t. Freaking cement of a thermal compound wouldn't let go and the cpu cooler took the cpu out w/ it when i pulled it out. A knife, magnifying glass, and a day later and all the pins were perfectly straight again :D

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

It's really easy to fix AMD pins, just grab a mechanical pencil or credit card and you're good. I've rubbed a AMD CPU on my face once and bent no pins. 

My father got thermal paste ALL over the pins on an old Phenom II. I didn't give a shit and went to work on those pins. Thermal paste = gone. Pins = solid.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

I dropped my 8350 once on ceramic tile and didn't bend any pins.

It takes a lot of force to do it.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

The pins are solid metal, so they will be pretty resistant to bending, and since they are so small you cannot get very much leverage to bend them.   For example, take a fork with really long prongs, and try to bend them.  It's pretty easy.  Now try to take a fork with really short prongs, and it is much more difficult.

Now, if you happen to bend the pins on the CPU, it is fairly easy to bend them back to their original shape.  They don't even have to be perfectly straight.  They just have to fit into the sockets that they are meant rest in.

I was surprised because I keep seeing online build videos where people caution about the amd pins.

Uhhh.... The hell... :blink:

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) Yummy yum-yum!

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

Uhhh.... The hell...  :blink:

Try it, it feels really nice.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Try it, it feels really nice.

oddly enough...

Also the sempron in my drawer has been there for years, loose, with no bent pins, but I must have had the same thermal paste as Atmos on my old freezer pro, because when it came off it took the cpu with it and mangled some pins. I was able to line them all back up with a bank card though.

I was bored at work today so I tried bending the pins on an AMD cpu and I found it harder than I thought it would be, they can handle a fair bit of pressure.

This was surprising to me because I constantly hear people chant: DON'T BEND THE PINS!

Also, I found it really easy to bend the pins back, I did so with a usb.

I'm not suggesting anyone does this and will not be held responsible if they do.

I have an old intel Laptop CPU laying around here and i admit, its really hard to bend the pins and id expect them to break before they bend much

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

Uhhh.... The hell...  :blink:

I straightened my hair once with the pins from an old Intel CPU. Having hundreds of pins works wonders :)

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking