Goodyear Shows Concept Tires That Produce Electricity

ahhming

Thats pretty awesome

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Not impressed.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

I doubt it would generate much electricity.

It probably won't produce that much energy when moving, as the heat generated by friction on car tyres is generally pretty low, unless you're in an F1 car. However, the standing heat absorbtion is a good idea, and that's where most energy will come from, either from a hot road surface or from the suns heat, not from frictionv generated heat. It's a nice concept, but it's more of a gimmicky idea that would most likely suit use in an F1 car for the ERS system than a conventional road car.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

looks like grip was sacrificed tremendously for this. Barely any tread to displace water so I wouldnt use this in the rain. 

And I highly doubt its very sticky...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I'd settle for tires that hold air pressure for an extended amount of time.  Not really the type of tech I am looking for from my tire company. 

looks like grip was sacrificed tremendously for this. Barely any tread to displace water so I wouldnt use this in the rain. 

Good point however it's always a good idea to have winter tires and summer tires. 

They're just 3d renders, probably just proof of concept. 

CPU I7 - 4720HQ RAM 2 x 8GB • GPU Nvidia GTX 850M Storage 250GB 850 EVO - 1TB Seagate Hybrid
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire Rapid-I (MX brown) & Pok3r (MX clear) • Mouse Logitech G502 • Sound Audio-Technica ATH-M50X • OS Windows 10 Pro - Linux Arch 
Storage Asustor AS7004T

Good point however it's always a good idea to have winter tires and summer tires. 

i live in louisiana. ice/sleet/snow is very rare. its also very rare that is drops below 32F/0C. 

We generally run all-seasons on our cars here or summer tires all year around. Dont see a need for winter tires here. It does rain a lot though usually during spring and summer.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

A car that runs on electricity...get it?

Selling my parts of my 900D rig for a jacked up Ncase M1. PM me for offers if interested (will take some reasonable-low offers because I'm desperate).

Parts that I'm selling: 900D (1 slot cover broken for stealth DVD drive mod) | Asus Z87 Deluxe | Cooler Master 212 Evo | Corsair 4x2GB black ram @1600mhz | EVGA 1000G2 PSU (2 cables with missing heat shrink) | DVD drive | HP membrane keyboard | Ducky Shine 3 YOTS in blue switches (warranty sticker broken)

don't understand why they don't just put heat-electricity converters inside all four wheel arches or inside the actual rim that takes both heat from the brakes AND from the tyres. This will generate next to no electricity as all, as tyres are designed to be as friction-free as possible while there is no slip in longitudinal loads to save fuel. The amount of friction to generate enough heat to generate any meaningful electricity will completely and utterly counter the electricity used to push the car along the road with the higher coefficient of friction of the tyres. If anything, this will make the cars use MORE electricity to run due to inefficiencies - road surface taking some of the heat, for example. Go feel your tyres next time you go for a drive. They won't exactly be "hot".

This is what I think of Pre-Ordering video games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp98SH3vW2Y

Wait what? Heat not friction? Well OK, I should hope they know more about this kinda thing than me.

Still cool if it's a legitimate thing and not just a PR stunt.

Would like to see them use the heat from breaks as well

don't understand why they don't just put heat-electricity converters inside all four wheel arches or inside the actual rim that takes both heat from the brakes AND from the tyres. This will generate next to no electricity as all, as tyres are designed to be as friction-free as possible while there is no slip in longitudinal loads to save fuel. The amount of friction to generate enough heat to generate any meaningful electricity will completely and utterly counter the electricity used to push the car along the road with the higher coefficient of friction of the tyres. If anything, this will make the cars use MORE electricity to run due to inefficiencies - road surface taking some of the heat, for example. Go feel your tyres next time you go for a drive. They won't exactly be "hot".

Ok, the reason we don't use "heat-electricity converters" (called a peltier plate) is because electricity production is negligible and the cost of installing these would be high. Contrary to what you stated tires (spelled with an I) are actually designed to have lots of friction, this is so when you brake, you don't just skid into the car in front, from the frame of reference of the tire in contact with the ground there is no relative movement. The heat to which this video is referring comes from the brakes which are converting all of the kinetic energy (1/2mv^2) into thermal energy, this heat is usually simply radiated away (wasted) this tire design wishes to capture that. This is actually a lot of energy. for example a 1 tonne car moving at 10m/s (36kph or about 22mph for you yanks) would have 1/2*1000*10^2 = 50 000 Joules of kinetic energy, most of which would become heat in the braking system which could then be captured and turned into electricity (assuming the technology that goodyear has developed has a good efficiency). A car moving twice that speed would have 4 times the kinetic energy i.e. 200 000 joules of energy to convert to heat per brake, i.e. lots of energy. In short yes, "next time when you feel your tires" they may not be hot, that's because the heat comes from the brakes, not the tires, however again this is wrong, the tires will actually be rather toasty, driving over bumps will cause the air internally to compress, this compression heats up the air (the principle behind all refrigeration because inversely decompressed air is cooler and can through a heat exchanger absorb the heat in a system)

In Short i'm not having a go at you, i'm just saying perhaps before you post your theory about why something won't work maybe consider the engineers who designed this system know something that you don't and maybe, just maybe you're missing something

Friction is independent of surface area (F=uN) i.e. frictional force equals coefficient of friction times force in Newtons applied downwards, if you double the area you are simply halving the force per unit area. Water isn't really displaced by a tire, if you look at the angles of the tread you will find they are designed so that water is pushed out the side through the treads, more area on the tire simply means a greater likelihood that the vehicle will aquaplane across the water leading to an accident. Its not about being sticky, its all about having a high coefficient of friction and a large downward force either from a spoiler or having a large mass

Guys DONT YOU SEE IT, CAN'T YOU SEE THE POTENTIAL HERE? What if one day we have electric cars that produce their own electricity, and enough that you may never need to charge your car? THIS could change the World. This could mean cheaper transportation. No more stopping at a gas station. No plugging your car in at night. You just simply drive and drive are far as you want (untill you need maintenance).

Sheesh do you guys even read? the tyres are made of piezoelectric material, which creates electricity as pressure deforms the tyre, so when its rolling it generates electricity as the material is pressed on, I assume this is the MAIN source of electricity

the heat thing is just an extra, especially the thing about the sun, so when you park up, it will top up your battery while you are at work and its outside for hours and hours gathering sunlight etc!!

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Guys DONT YOU SEE IT, CAN'T YOU SEE THE POTENTIAL HERE? What if one day we have electric cars that produce their own electricity, and enough that you may never need to charge your car? THIS could change the World. This could mean cheaper transportation. No more stopping at a gas station. No plugging your car in at night. You just simply drive and drive are far as you want (untill you need maintenance).

Impossibe to use energy without some waste energy, so what you say is impossible unless you have a solar powered car.

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

Just wait til Tesla does this, charge your car while driving.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

If done right and sold reasonably then this could be good for electric cars when they become widespread an affordable :)

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Impossibe to use energy without some waste energy, so what you say is impossible unless you have a solar powered car.

What does having some of the energy be wasted in heat have anything to do with his statement not being correct? Light would shine on the tires, turn into energy and some would be wasted into just heat while the rest would be captured and put into the battery. Your car sitting there in the sun would charge the battery. Same basic idea while the car is moving. Some of the energy would be captured and then would charge the battery.