Im confused Sli and crossfire

Theral

So as you can probably tell I am learning about the insides of a computer and after learning about multiple graphics cards such as amd and nvidia

So at the moment I have a Sapphire Radeon R9 270X Dual-X Boost OC AMD Graphics Card 2GB which i think is great for me but I then saw the gtx 970 which is supposed to be a really good card. So as they are 2 different companies? can i still have both of them and would they fit with this motherboard and cpu?

Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P, AMD 970, S AM3/AM3+, DDR3, SATA III - 6Gb/s, SATA RAID, 2-way CrossFire™ Support, ATX
AMD (Piledriver) FX-6300 3.50GHz (4.10GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 6-Core Processor

No, no, no and no. Someone will come by and break it down for you a lot better than I can.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

If a card is red, its AMD, if its green its Nvidia (Reference only)

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

GTX 970 will get bottlenecked by FX6300...

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

Yes but one card will be useless

SLI - for nVidia, only the same gpu (970+970), the same ammount of vram (4+4)

CrossFire - only for AMD - can corssfire rebranded gpu with non rebrands (http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/222806-rebranded-graphics-cards/), other ammount of vram (8+4 gb cards will run at 4 gb) doesnt need crossfire cable, it's handled by pci-e lanes

You can mix cards - You can have a AMD and Nvidia GPU. 

But you can't make them 'work' together - You cannot pair them in SLi or XFire.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

You can mix cards - You can have a AMD and Nvidia GPU. 

But you can't make them 'work' together - You cannot pair them in SLi or XFire.

Won't DX12 presumably solve this?

So as you can probably tell I am learning about the insides of a computer and after learning about multiple graphics cards such as amd and nvidia

So at the moment I have a Sapphire Radeon R9 270X Dual-X Boost OC AMD Graphics Card 2GB which i think is great for me but I then saw the gtx 970 which is supposed to be a really good card. So as they are 2 different companies? can i still have both of them and would they fit with this motherboard and cpu?

Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P, AMD 970, S AM3/AM3+, DDR3, SATA III - 6Gb/s, SATA RAID, 2-way CrossFire™ Support, ATX
AMD (Piledriver) FX-6300 3.50GHz (4.10GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 6-Core Processor

Like most people are saying, you can only have one card or the other, the 970 is bottlenecked however you will not see the performance loss if you are running a 60Hz monitor (1 or 2 fps). And to answer your question yes it will run just swap out the 270 for it!

If you want a reply PLEASE QUOTE ME!

WE NEED CUSTOM MEMBER TITLES AGAIN!!!!!

Member title post link!

Won't DX12 presumably solve this?

Rumor has it that this will be resolved but i'm very on the fence about the claim being true. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III