Elite dangerous worth $60?

Tasuma

I'm looking into Elite Dangerous and was wondering if the amount of content currently is worth $60. Now I know each person will have a different feeling about the worth. So just give me your opinion and reason why. :D

01101100 01110110 01101100 00100000 00110101 00100000 01101101 01100001 01100111 01101001 01101011 01100001 01110010 01110000 

I'm looking into Elite Dangerous and was wondering if the amount of content currently is worth $60. Now I know each person will have a different feeling about the worth. So just give me your opinion and reason why. :D

If it is in your eyes :)

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

@CatCloud You have it, right?

aye.

Right, So im not 100% up to date but last time i checkt they added some new ships aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand thats it.

its still pretty much Do whatever- > money- > upgrade-> Repeat. Sure its more then what Star citizen have, but for a "released" game i excepted more.

No manufacturing - After you done some mining its off to selling the minerals...yep thats it

No Orgs - so unless you have a website or whatever...yeah

No Personal Storage - you can hoard stuff, once your cargo is full its off to sell or dump it in space

Some events are available if one follows the ingame "news board" but player stuff...hmm i havent heard anything so idunno...

its highly possible i´ve been spoiled by EVE online´s grandness but and i se it as a "standard" :P

@CatCloud so would you suggest a buy or wait it a bit more?

01101100 01110110 01101100 00100000 00110101 00100000 01101101 01100001 01100111 01101001 01101011 01100001 01110010 01110000 

@CatCloud so would you suggest a buy or wait it a bit more?

Wait, unless all you want to do is Transport goods from A to B  or Shoot players or Bounties then use the money to upgrade and do the same thing over and over again.

try EVE online instead. abit of a learning curve but so worth it.

Wait, unless all you want to do is Transport goods from A to B  or Shoot players or Bounties then use the money to upgrade and do the same thing over and over again.

try EVE online instead. abit of a learning curve but so worth it.

I did EVE a bit. Haven't tried it in freaking years. xD I'll give that a shot.

I did EVE a bit. Haven't tried it in freaking years. xD I'll give that a shot.

So much stuff has been added. and i´ve been around since 2006 (not constant playing) but form then to now....wow.

Also to add on E:D, its not a bad game, but its pretty much a Single player game with no Story missions Online, so if you have played Space games before that are single player like Galaxy under fire 2   yeah...pretty much a advance version of that game.

I tried it, but unless you have some good flight controls, it's not worth it.

Also, I don't like how the docking/undocking works. Took me forever to figure out where the opening is on the space station, and then I had to figure out where the damned landing pad was....ugh.

I'm just gonna stick with EVE for the moment, and get SC when that comes out.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I have it since mid-january. I've played 2h again yesterday. I usually play 3-4 times a week and around 2h each sessions. So I have quite some time in the game now.

The game doesn't have a story. You're a nobody and you will always be a nobody. You got your ship and you decide what you want to do. The first ship that you have is decent but no more. I used it to learn how the game works. Then I got myself a dogfighting ship (Viper) to do some Bounty hunting. 2-3 weeks after, I decided I want to do mining and exploring. So I bought myself a Adder and for the past 2 weeks I've been mining and exploring the galaxy.

I like it. For the time I've spent playing the game, I think it is worth 60$. The fact that you can be whatever you want is great. And I enjoy that there's no story line to follow. I bought myself is pretty cheap Logitech Extreme 3D joystick for 20$ to play the game. I got a Logitech G13 gamepad to go with it. So I am pretty well equiped with all the buttons that I need.

What I did before buying the game is watch some people on Twitch playing the game. It is a slow-paced game most of the time.

I probably am the only one in that Universe who do like the docking sequence. I find it to be more realistic. Sure, however, finding the damn entrance on the space stations can be difficult. I find it easier when looking how the station rotates. The entrance rotates on an axis. I try to find that axis and then try both sides. Or another trick, because space stations are usually busy, find on which sides the other vessels are. Your radar should be able to pick them up. They should give a visual indication in your HUD however on where is the entrance. You can fly between stars, but you still have to fly around a station to find its door...doesn't makes sense, I agree.

I have it since mid-january. I've played 2h again yesterday. I usually play 3-4 times a week and around 2h each sessions. So I have quite some time in the game now.

The game doesn't have a story. You're a nobody and you will always be a nobody. You got your ship and you decide what you want to do. The first ship that you have is decent but no more. I used it to learn how the game works. Then I got myself a dogfighting ship (Viper) to do some Bounty hunting. 2-3 weeks after, I decided I want to do mining and exploring. So I bought myself a Adder and for the past 2 weeks I've been mining and exploring the galaxy.

I like it. For the time I've spent playing the game, I think it is worth 60$. The fact that you can be whatever you want is great. And I enjoy that there's no story line to follow. I bought myself is pretty cheap Logitech Extreme 3D joystick for 20$ to play the game. I got a Logitech G13 gamepad to go with it. So I am pretty well equiped with all the buttons that I need.

What I did before buying the game is watch some people on Twitch playing the game. It is a slow-paced game most of the time.

I probably am the only one in that Universe who do like the docking sequence. I find it to be more realistic. Sure, however, finding the damn entrance on the space stations can be difficult. I find it easier when looking how the station rotates. The entrance rotates on an axis. I try to find that axis and then try both sides. Or another trick, because space stations are usually busy, find on which sides the other vessels are. Your radar should be able to pick them up. They should give a visual indication in your HUD however on where is the entrance. You can fly between stars, but you still have to fly around a station to find its door...doesn't makes sense, I agree.

You do realise if you lock onto the station a hologram of the satation appears on you HUD then you can stop and rotate your ship on its axis which rotates to hologram allowing you to locate the entrance easier, also in almost an situations the station door will be facing the planet its orbiting.

ED is great. I do agree its a little empty by ED have a huge list of features which are coming, they're deliberately taking their time adding new stuff to keep the game fresh for a longer period. Wings (4 player groups of ships) are coming next week along with huge community and social improvements and they've announced another major update coming in April in today's newsletter.

Its worth the buy as I guarantee you in 2 to 3 years time they'll still be adding new stuff to the game.

It has 400,000,000,000 systems for god sake!!!!

It might not touch EVE right now but in a few years it will surpass it.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

You do realise if you lock onto the station a hologram of the satation appears on you HUD then you can stop and rotate your ship on its axis which rotates to hologram allowing you to locate the entrance easier, also in almost an situations the station door will be facing the planet its orbiting.

I never thought about looking at the hologram. And that planet thing is a good tip. Thanks for the tips. :)

E:D also has plan to do planitary flight and landing. That would be insane...

I never thought about looking at the hologram. And that planet thing is a good tip. Thanks for the tips. :)

E:D also has plan to do planitary flight and landing. That would be insane...

That's a definite, been the plan since kickstarter however it will be DLC and will cost extra. They have 3 DLCs planned, each with a huge new feature, everything else they're going to add will be free.

I'm lucky, I backed the KS campaign so got BETA access, the game and all 3 DLCs for a £100 donation. I've sunk hundreds of hours in so far and the game isn't even close to feature complete yet, great value IMO. If I get bored I take a break for a few weeks or a month then come back to new features.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Yeah the whole 400 billion system is not really that impressive as it sounds,  by the time you have seen 40 different system you know how a few million looks like already. IMO having a few thousand unique systems is more interesting than a few billion copy pastes. We already seen this with borderlands and it was never really that impressive....never...

"Do whatever you want" is a bit exaggerating, as i said before, i cant do any manufacturing. i cant bombard planets or anything really. i see a station and there is no way in hell i can take it down.

Taking over a sytem is not possible either. Starting up a Frontier is not possible either.

Maybe i can grab some buddies in Anacondas and wreck havoc during some of those choice side Events? i dunno if thats possible or if those are pre-scripted and an infinitive numbers of ships will spawn when you start blowing them up.

Speaking of Events, I have never encountered one!! either i missed them or they dont happen very often.

No personal Storage is a big deal TBH, its nice that they added the option for extra ships but man i want a freaking storage where i can store stuff that i want to put on other ships.

Its frustrating upgrading ship only to have to fly trough 5 systems just to get the same Equipment you had on your older ship because that one station you bought your ship in does not have equipment of your liking or use.

Whatever they have for planning can be said to any game out there, god knows what EVE has in plans the next year, and lets not dive into Star Citizen.....that a bible on its own.

Surpassing EVE is....yeah no, i highly doubt that. then again, the genre is a bit different. but Ambitiousness in EVE is so grand...E:D and SC has A LOT of work to do to come close if they aim that way.

I Agree, the Docking is fun! hope to se more of that and less Auto dock, ALTHOUGH im happy its an Option!!! Now i just want some kind of Ore tractor Beam Because halting a mining operation to fish up Ore is IMO waste of time...just no.

I also feel like they need to upgrade the trucking/Cargo transportation in the game, add some notes or something. right now i have to do that on a separate screen or on Paper and eeeeeeeh i rather not but thats my 2 cent, i rather have that for RPG games but even those have a in-game notepad :P

and THANK GOD for in-game Browser in EVE. love it!

Story line,, subjective but I like having one in online games that Ofc is NOT forced. but works like a guideline and to add some "depth" to the game because as said, you just some random that spawned in a station and the first though some people get is "now what?"  and the tutorial in the game is not exactly the most attractive. 

TL:DR the game needs to get fleshed out more before i could recommend it.

'

Just adding my opinion on your opinions guys :)

Not yet.

Give it maybe a year or two, and it'll mature. It's not really there yet. It's a quality game, there's just no content yet. 

We really need, as players, more options to manipulate the universe through politics and stuff

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it