AMD To Introduce Full Radeon R300 Series At Computex 2015 (No-Rebrands)

Opcode

The feeling I'm getting is amd is waiting for a die shrink to refresh their lineup

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

They're not going to move stock without dropping prices. Everyone is waiting for the new gen unless they simply don't have a gpu.

Until the 290x is under 300 dollars it won't move any faster.

AMD does indeed have a massive backup of stock. Which is good news for consumers as once they push the next generation hardware we should see massive price cuts on the R200 series in order to clear out inventory. I can't remember which generation it was but they did this before (I think HD 7000 series) where you could buy an HD 7970 for $199 at that time. Simply because they just wanted to get rid of them so they could take them off the market to prevent clashing with their R200 series.

Oh come on what the hell. They should release it as soon as it's ready, and just have trouble keeping it in stock for a while. They really need to get this on the market now

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

AMD does indeed have a massive backup of stock. Which is good news for consumers as once they push the next generation hardware we should see massive price cuts on the R200 series in order to clear out inventory. I can't remember which generation it was but they did this before (I think HD 7000 series) where you could buy an HD 7970 for $199 at that time. Simply because they just wanted to get rid of them so they could take them off the market to prevent clashing with their R200 series.

yes, agreed. but the article is saying they'll delay the new gen until this gen has sold off some, which I'm saying simply won't happen, due to the 970 still being pretty competitive in price and everyone waiting for the 300 series. /r/amd is full of "wait till the 300 series" and /r/buildapc is full of "970", so the 290x stock is going just about nowhere.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

You're partly right but its not that simple, the gpu is the most important component for gaming, the r9 200 series came in 2013, the 900 in 2014, 300 series mid 2015

Seems to me that if we count both amd and nvidia, there's aproximately a 1 year gap between a new series release (significant difference, not Ti versions or stuff like r9 285 )

For someone like me who can't upgrade at each flagship, I really do need the best bang for buck item.

The best bang for the buck is high performance cards that are a bit older.  Look how amazingly well the 7xxx series cards are holding up as rebrands. A 280x still does very well at 1080p nearly 3 years after the card was introduced as the 7970.  The 290 has gone almost as low as $200 and is an absolute killer card.

There's no reason to buy brand new cards if the old ones still hold up well.  

yes, agreed. but the article is saying they'll delay the new gen until this gen has sold off some, which I'm saying simply won't happen, due to the 970 still being pretty competitive in price and everyone waiting for the 300 series. /r/amd is full of "wait till the 300 series" and /r/buildapc is full of "970", so the 290x stock is going just about nowhere.

Still lots of people willing to pick up cheap 290's and 290x's. 

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

Cmon AMD! Release the powaahhh!!

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

amd needs to hurry up and launch their gpus

Would you rather have a a gpu with limited supplys and buggy drivers or a GPU that kicks ass?

HTID

Would you rather have a a gpu with limited supplys and buggy drivers or a GPU that kicks ass?

How about a GPU in very limited supply with super buggy drivers that kicks ass and costs a fortune?

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

How about a GPU in very limited supply with super buggy drivers that kicks ass and costs a fortune?

#Nvidia

#Nvidia

Not really been super buggy, but okay.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Not really been super buggy, but okay.

Then apparently you've never used their Linux drivers.  :lol:

Then apparently you've never used their Linux drivers.  :lol:

Oh well if you want to go there then the only graphics company with rock solid linux drivers is Intel. On Linux neither AMD nor Nvidia are good to this day.

i hope the 390x will be the new king of price/performance

and i will hold off my planned r9 290x upgrade untill the r9 380x, because the 380x will be a rebrand of the 290x, and 370x of the 280x and so on

Price / performance is never really associated with flagship cards.

I hope for a release of R9 395x4. Two linked PCB's with two gpu's each, covering a water block like a hamburger. Would be perfect for ITX build.

Rob

Oh well if you want to go there then the only graphics company with rock solid linux drivers is Intel. On Linux neither AMD nor Nvidia are good to this day.

AMD drivers aren't exactly optimized performance wise on Linux but they are rock solid. AMD got their act together with Omega and pushed out stable pre-built driver packages. Installing and running 14.501.1003 on Ubuntu is a breeze. As to where Nvidia's blobs are a nightmare to get installed or even working for that matter. Intel has gone open source with their drivers so there's no reason for them to not work smoothly on Linux.

I can't wait til they release this as I will be very interested to see 4K gaming performance with one or multiple cards.  Best of luck AMD.  Hopefully you will also have something one day that is especially good on the cpu side also.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

To think that neither the Titan X or 395X2 will be able to beat a single 5k monitor with a 1500€+ price tag is just plain horrendous.... and i went for 5k to not even mention how 4k will still be a big problem xD. Lets hope for the best tough.

A 12GB buffer is more than enough for 4K and 5K. Probably even enough for 8K. So the Titan X is likely the first single GPU that won't need SLi to push 60 FPS UHD and up.

390x not so much, at least not until DX 12 and VRAM pooling in Xfire is a thing.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

A 12GB buffer is more than enough for 4K and 5K. Probably even enough for 8K. So the Titan X is likely the first single GPU that won't need SLi to push 60 FPS UHD and up.

390x not so much, at least not until DX 12 and VRAM pooling in Xfire is a thing.

Its needs more cuda cores!! Yes it has enough buffer but not enough "Power" to get the max out of all titles upcoming and dense rendering programs, that fact showed itself with gtx 770 4gb and other lower end ones with having "considerable V-memory" couldnt yet handle the high requirements for decoding the ambients/animations themselves in high resolutions, thanks to the low number of cuda cores -.-, but thats what someone gets for a mid range card. Architecture is GM-200 yes so :/ waiting and hoping for great results.

Groomlake Authority

Its needs more cuda cores!! Yes it has enough buffer but not enough "Power" to get the max out of all titles upcoming and dense rendering programs, that fact showed itself with gtx 770 4gb and other lower end ones with having "considerable V-memory" couldnt yet handle the high requirements for decoding the ambients/animations themselves in high resolutions, thanks to the low number of cuda cores -.-, but thats what someone gets for a mid range card. Architecture is GM-200 yes so :/ waiting and hoping for great results.

A Maxwell CUDA core isn't equal to a Kepler CUDA core, have patience and we will find out soon enough. I'm pretty optimistic though.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

well its not like amd is capable of that anyway :)

jk

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply

AMD drivers aren't exactly optimized performance wise on Linux but they are rock solid. AMD got their act together with Omega and pushed out stable pre-built driver packages. Installing and running 14.501.1003 on Ubuntu is a breeze. As to where Nvidia's blobs are a nightmare to get installed or even working for that matter. Intel has gone open source with their drivers so there's no reason for them to not work smoothly on Linux.

Intel's drivers, while being publically viewable and modifiable on a local machine, are all closed-source.

I'm seeing plenty of AMD driver problem posts on the red hat, ubuntu, and Mint support sites post-omega.

So AMD wants to clear out their inventory before introducing their new R9-300 cards? Not to long ago during the Bitcoin mining craze, no one was able to buy any  AMD R9 series cards, it was all sold out, if you were lucky enough to get one it was twice the prie of the MSRP.  Now they have a bunch of them just sitting there, waiting to be clear out? Looks like they over produce it, thinking bitcoin mining using gpus is still popular? Besides didn't they say R9-380x is a rebadged R9-290x. The cards are going to be regadge anyway sooner or later, so why not just starting doing it now, instead of stalling and delaying the cards until Computex, which is in June.  IMO a bad decision on AMD's part for delaying the launch of the new cards. A lot of people know the R9-300s and are waiting for it. When people wait too long they loose interest and eventually buy another card (Nvidia).

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

A lot of people know the R9-300s and are waiting for it. When people wait too long they loose interest and eventually buy another card (Nvidia).

This is the exact situation I am in. I prefer AMD just because they were the core of the first PC I built but, I am more than willing to keep putting Nvidia cards in my system if they keep on delaying. 

Intel's drivers, while being publically viewable and modifiable on a local machine, are all closed-source.

I'm seeing plenty of AMD driver problem posts on the red hat, ubuntu, and Mint support sites post-omega.

Intel's Linux drivers are open source, in fact the entire graphics stack.

If you have to build drivers the old way with their package manager it is kind of a pain in the ass (check my old guide at the bottom of my main post here).

Tho even with 14.4 I haven't had a single problem (even with manually building them). Installing anything on Linux outside of synaptics leaves room for user error.