Sennheiser HD518 vs Audio-Technica ATH-AD500x

manafusion

In my region, asking a nearby audiophile shop, this is the best that I can find for both brands that have the ideal ear comfort which I wanted (cloth earcups and open-back) and fits my budget. So, my question now is... which is better? I'm not a full-blown audio junkie but I tend to listen to a wide range of music and videos as well as gaming.

In my region, asking a nearby audiophile shop, this is the best that I can find for both brands that have the ideal ear comfort which I wanted (cloth earcups and open-back) and fits my budget. So, my question now is... which is better? I'm not a full-blown audio junkie but I tend to listen to a wide range of music and videos as well as gaming.

Neither is better, they are just different.

In this case, the best thing you could probably do is go try them out in a shop or borrow a pair from someone else (if you know anyone with one of the aformentioned headphones.) I'm a pretty big advocate of try before you buy for audio gear so if you stuck I suggest you do that.

The thing with audio, it's kinda hard to say A is better than B, when they're about the same range/level/class. 

If it's something that's far apart, like HD518 vs HD800, then of course it's obvious. Things in the same level usually comes down to individual taste, because they usually don't differ much. Best is of course try them out (and any other types available). 

Thanks guys. I'll try to see if the shop allows me to listen to music and then tell from there.

(PS: I didn't know they were similarly capable which was why I asked.)

Went but only managed to test the Sennheiser. Like the sound range but the earcups killed it for me since my earcuffs are the protruding kind so it hurts when I put it on. Can anyone tell me if the AD500X is the same?

I actually have the 518s, I tried them on in some random electro-word shop. They didn't feel confortable there, but i wanted good headphones and audio technica 500x are twice as expensive here, so I bought them anyway. I actually like the feel of them so much now that I can't wear my old headphones anymore. Old ones are too tight now. I don't think you can tell from the minute you have them on in the shop, you have to get used to them.

Went but only managed to test the Sennheiser. Like the sound range but the earcups killed it for me since my earcuffs are the protruding kind so it hurts when I put it on. Can anyone tell me if the AD500X is the same?

What do you mean the earcuffs are protruding? What even is an earcuff?