Elegance by MetallicAcid

MetallicAcid

I want so bad to do a build log, but I'd have no idea on how to go about getting sponsored. No way could I afford to do a build log on my own, so sponsors would be a must. Regardless, looks awesome so far! Do you plan on OCing the CPU any (sorry if this has been answered already, I didn't read every single post, just skimmed through the updates).

*facepalm* It's a watercooled G3528. What the hell do you think?

Nice graphics card btw, did you get it from a sponsor or did you buy it yourself?

Case: Corsair Carbdie 330R Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P Asus Z97-A CPU: AMD FX-6300 i5 4690K 3.5 GHZ + 212 EVO GPU: ASUS GTX 760 DirectCUII Ram: Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb (2x4gb) HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M
Monitor: AOC Q2963pm 29'' 21:9 IPS Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Mousepad: Mionix Sargas 320 Headset: HyperX Cloud Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 RGBIKEA Headset/Headphone Holder

*facepalm* It's a watercooled G3528. What the hell do you think?

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/322330-elegance-by-metallicacid/?p=4471097

This looks a lot like an air cooler to me. Haven't seen anything in regards to watercooling from @MetallicAcid on any of these pages. My reason for asking in because I saw an air cooler and a small case, and the overall build is going to be used for light gaming and home media. I personally wouldn't OC in this case, I was just wondering if OP would.

EDIT: Just used my good old friend Ctrl+F to find "water" on any of the pages. There's plenty, but in the original post, he says MAYBE. Doesn't mean it will be water cooled, it means it might. For now, it looks like it is being air cooled, so my question still stands. OP, do you plan on OCing at all? If so, what are you shooting for?

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

Can you tell me, does that z97n-wifi have any voltage control over the CPU. I was just surprised as my z77n-wifi has no CPU voltage control at all which I thought was odd for a 'z' branded board.

Can you tell me, does that z97n-wifi have any voltage control over the CPU. I was just surprised as my z77n-wifi has no CPU voltage control at all which I thought was odd for a 'z' branded board.

If im not mistaking with a familiar MSI board , it does

MetallicAcid's

Elegance_zpsa4mibpyt.png

Thank you to my sponsors:

SilverStone-Logo-400px_zpscx8ujorn.png

OCZ%20logo_zpsx3bsrjoc.png

a08e6f0b-2de3-4ea7-abe5-9053a7bd2f2a_zps

inet_zpslv3ssgzs.png

raijintek_logo_png_zpshvpu9r1x.png

cryorig-logo_zps6gvj1rxx.png

Updates..

Parts and stuff!

Reserved for last parts update

http://www.facebook.com/metallicacidcustomspcs

MetallicAcid's

Elegance_zpsa4mibpyt.png

inet_zpslv3ssgzs.png

Update 3

PSU shroud fabrication

Hello and welcome my friends! This update is long overdue! I wish to have had all of the hardware photographed and posted in the build log before I got on with the real modding, but it seems that I might have a late sponsor wishing to provide some RAM to this glorious project! The communication is taking a while, so I thought that I would just reserve a post in the thread and edit that once I get the RAM in. ;)

Well, this update is me fabricating a PSU shroud. This design process is just firing from the hip, and finding something that I am happy with on the spot as opposed to the meticulous planning and 3D rendering that I have been known to do. This is because the work computer is a piece of crap and unusable, and most of my free time I have to mod is actually when I am at work (ironically haha!).

I wish to talk you guys through the design process to near completion!

Version 1 of the shroud was with the PSU being at the bottom of the chassis, and the shroud being tall so that I could mount an SSD and do something cool with the sleeved cables. Although I liked this design, I thought that it would make the inside seem very cramped considering that it takes up a third of the inside space.

DSC08885_zpsdpgrwucj.jpg

DSC08887_zpsf1t5s6vy.jpg

DSC08939_zpstuli0dzk.jpg

DSC08940_zpsafedpyck.jpg

DSC08941_zpss8wdatri.jpg

DSC08942_zps7xztfuwp.jpg

DSC08943_zpstfyf2dft.jpg

Version 2 of the shroud was created with the thinking that the PSU would be attached to the front panel, lifted up from the floor of the chassis. This is so that full GPU would have been able to be used in this chassis. Then I created this version of the shroud which went all the way to the floor anyways which defeated the purpose of moving the PSU in the first place. 

It is really exciting to play around with placing the parts in different areas of the chassis, as one can open up so many new possibilities to improve on the original design or layout. At one point I was going to install dual 120mm fans in the bottom, just because I could.. I decided not to do so for the sake of clean design, and as this PC is such a power easy beast then I do not need the extreme cooling solution.

DSC08945_zpsmujnn7nl.jpg

DSC08946_zpsamizcbgi.jpg

DSC08948_zpst6cctqcj.jpg

DSC08950_zpsignnsxoa.jpg

DSC08951_zpscynlsfh6.jpg

DSC08952_zpsegbnqcmy.jpg

DSC08953_zps54bbakio.jpg

DSC08954_zpstbymwgpx.jpg

DSC08955_zpsqcwobgvp.jpg

DSC08956_zpsxmab99t5.jpg

DSC08957_zpsah1va7po.jpg

DSC08958_zpsjjxk5u34.jpg

DSC08959_zpsvjjnzae4.jpg

DSC08960_zpsrmeoyjne.jpg

DSC08961_zpsmhliwj7e.jpg

Version 3 of the shroud is with the PSU back on the floor (indecisive much?) and a small shroud that covers just the unit itself. I had the PSU rotated so that the cables would come out of the side of the shroud and back up to the motherboard. I didn't like this version though as it was the version 2 shroud cut to size and bent to fit. It didn't really sit flush with the front panel, and the black mesh didn't work with the overall theme.

DSC08962_zpsux6khg9b.jpg

DSC08963_zpsbf1mffvw.jpg

DSC08964_zpsnjpafiph.jpg

DSC08976_zpsgfdt914m.jpg

DSC08978_zpsifseocum.jpg

DSC08980_zpsvwbojvxr.jpg

DSC08982_zpshfrva7ua.jpg

Version 4 - The final version. This version is perfect :) Sits great, it is flush, cables show great, all brushed...  Mmmm :)

DSC08983_zpsussi02i9.jpg

DSC08984_zpsmydfejx0.jpg

DSC08986_zpszcpeywe1.jpg

DSC08987_zpsidn1pnr6.jpg

DSC08988_zpsytwkcuc4.jpg

DSC08989_zpscuiqkoqb.jpg

DSC08990_zpsxo1w7d8n.jpg

DSC08992_zpsdlygpuvp.jpg

DSC09023_zpsukrhaigq.jpg

DSC09024_zps5qanrnjd.jpg

The big reveal coming soon :D

What do you guys think?

I have made sooo much more progress already to show, like a new power button, custom cables, new case feet and much more, and will get some more updates out for your reading pleasure as soon as I have the time! Stick around :)

Kind regards,

Justin "MetallicAcid" Ohlsen

dude waht ya doing?

trying to redefine the word "tight" or "tight spot"?! damn this has to be maddening to do, unbelieveable, that's it, no more words form me.

(today, on this forum :ph34r: )

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

That is some beautiful everything you have there.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

This is amazing stuff. You know how to make everything look nice. I have one question: Is it hard to use a dremel? Because when I look at how precise your aluminium cut is I am just damned amazed. That would be results I would expect from a laser cutter or a cnc

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

dude waht ya doing?

trying to redefine the word "tight" or "tight spot"?! damn this has to be maddening to do, unbelieveable, that's it, no more words form me.

(today, on this forum :ph34r: )

Redefining is what I do mate! :) Even my last project was named Redefine as I intend to redefine what modding actually is. ;)

That is some beautiful everything you have there.

Thank you kind sir. Lots of love is going into the project! It feels nice getting back into using only hand tools, and some light machinery to help with the bigger cuts :)

those are some nice psu shroud designs

Cheers Burner. It is a shame that I went through 4-5 variations before deciding on the ultimate one I liked. I always think of ways of improving the design, and sometimes it just takes alot of time to complete. A masterpiece is never complete I once heard ;)

This is amazing stuff. You know how to make everything look nice. I have one question: Is it hard to use a dremel? Because when I look at how precise your aluminium cut is I am just damned amazed. That would be results I would expect from a laser cutter or a cnc

Thank you sheen! I work hard on getting everything perfect, and it can take several tries and lots of cuts/filing/sanding to get it just right. Using the Dremel is a bitch IMHO, and I always cut 1-2mm from the intended edge. Then I file the rest, and finish by sanding with a long piece of wood to ensure a straight edge. Very time consuming!! If I had a CNC of my own or one close by that was free to use then I would use it, but I have just alot of free time (ironically at my place of employment) to think of a design, cut a prototype and file tweak it to what you see in this project build log.

Perhaps I can make a video of it one day :) 

More updates coming up this week guys, stick around! :D

/J

MetallicAcid's

Elegance_zpsa4mibpyt.png

inet_zpslv3ssgzs.png

Update 4

Lots of modding!

Hey guys and girls!

I have a nice sized update with lots of different modding :) Here you will see the installation of a new power button, new custom cables for the PSU, new case feet and cutting a larger hole into the motherboard tray for the CPU cooler bracket!

So, lets start with the new case feet!

DSC09004_zpsn8i5zj5x.jpg

DSC09010_zpso4p8s4z7.jpg

DSC09011_zpsompzo2sz.jpg

DSC09014_zpstywbhf6b.jpg

Next up we have the motherboard tray cut out, which allows for the bracket of the CPU cooler to sit without pressing against, and flexing the PCB

DSC09015_zpsowcwem98.jpg

DSC09026_zpsdnlaiu1t.jpg

Here I bore out the hole to a larger diameter, then install a 16mm vandal switch

DSC09019_zpsbcgjfugk.jpg

DSC09021_zpsqznehtf6.jpg

DSC09022_zpsk4g31pht.jpg

And last up I create some custom length cables. Fine tuning will come in a later update, as well as some gorgeous cables sleeve :)

DSC08993_zpsxazlo3rn.jpg

DSC08995_zpshealcvuu.jpg

DSC08996_zpsn5iwknjx.jpg

DSC08998_zps2uhlmdex.jpg

DSC09000_zpsyz4ajl7a.jpg

DSC09002_zpsqdemnslm.jpg

DSC09003_zpszvwgadsd.jpg

DSC09008_zps5jrdxy8e.jpg

More updates coming up real soon guys, so stick around :)

Kind regards,

Looks very nice

My Red/Black rig: CM Storm Trooper Window - i5 4690K - Asus GTX 980 Strix DCU - Asus VII Formula z97 - Corsair H100i - 16GB Vengeance pro 2400MHz -Samsung 850 Pro 256GB(os) - Seagate barracuda 2TB - crucial BX200 250GB SSD - Cooler Master v850.----  Dell XPS 13: i5-5500u - 256GB SSD - 8GB DDR3L.

Wicked work MA as always.so much dremel goodness. That Bosch pedestool looks interesting as well. I wonder what extra functionality it has over a standard drill press. I might have to look into it...

I actually like the unsleeved wires because they just feel smaller and that goes well with the case.

Looks nice.

Im glad to see more case manufacturers going into the aluminum case market, it might drive the p;rices down

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

are you going to mount another fan on that cpu cooler i also own a cryrig cooler and they are simply amazing ! 

• 2 weeks later...

MetallicAcid's

Elegance_zpsa4mibpyt.png

inet_zpslv3ssgzs.png

Update 4

Too many mods to specify a title too!!!

Hello and welcome!

I have been very busy with the Elegance project, trying to wrap things up and get it completed. There are a couple of things left on my list to do, but nothing too major. I am slowly getting around to posting the images up on the net for you guys to see, so bare with me during this process! 

There are a few things that I have been working on that I would like to show with this update, so in normal fashion I shall name what it is that I have done with a brief description, then reveal the photos of that work. Please enjoy!! 

Front button modding, making some custom cables which were perfect in length. These have been sleeved, but that is for another update!

DSC09095_zpsokzwgqnl.jpg

Next up, I sacrificed an unused GTX780 reference cooler, and reused the aluminium circle from the fan on my Cryorig QF120 CPU tower fan. Stylish ;)

DSC09045_zpsfsleha0s.jpg

I noticed that the inside of the Metis chassis was unbrushed, so I took out the front panel, gave it a brush and clear-coat and reinstalled it. Looks sweet!

DSC09054_zps9crwhglu.jpg

As much I love the OCZ SSD for it's  documented reliability, I love it's aluminium shell even more. So I removed the sticker and gave that a hit with 80grit sandpaper and clear-coat as well!

DSC09047_zpsr095bexv.jpg

DSC09048_zps9dyds4ym.jpg

DSC09051_zpsng7go12z.jpg

Last but defnitely not least is the massive window modding that I have completed for this project! These two windows give a fantastic view of all of the parts and custom sleeving, and look great to boot! I am really happy to have had you - the community help me with the decision of which design would be the most original and best looking. You guys really know something nice when you see it!! Final reveal of the window mod will be revealed with the final images when the project is completed.

DSC09062_zps3zgzisbs.jpg

DSC09065_zpstfm0ufpu.jpg

DSC09066_zpstaygpzoq.jpg

DSC09067_zpsu1xafbri.jpg

DSC09068_zpslmuoilmg.jpg

DSC09069_zpstaenmcya.jpg

DSC09070_zpstmmxv5zn.jpg

DSC09073_zpsdfs0yczi.jpg

DSC09074_zpsggz1deh8.jpg

DSC09075_zpsxd7zujvp.jpg

DSC09076_zpsgfudwhx2.jpg

DSC09078_zpsetxytuc8.jpg

DSC09079_zpstxgefihr.jpg

DSC09080_zpseeluki2n.jpg

DSC09082_zpsa0rz3c55.jpg

DSC09084_zpsqbjjiyxe.jpg

DSC09086_zpsqphaorx5.jpg

DSC09087_zps5n6v79xj.jpg

DSC09088_zpscxj1vqsr.jpg

DSC09089_zpscx5m0h7k.jpg

DSC09090_zps6a10oibd.jpg

DSC09091_zpsba4asif9.jpg

DSC09092_zps21vbutxn.jpg

DSC09093_zpsboxzgbjz.jpg

Next update will be presented within a week or so, and will feature a new sponsor and some sleeving goodness! Let me know what you think of the project so far, and what I can do to make it even better :)

Thanks for reading,

awww damn mate, just damn...

1 thing though, you should try, at the very least TRY to make a bent window for that large hole, that would look really sick, 1 piece of acrylic window, with a 90 degree bent.

if possible of course, should be, that's the only thing i can think of making this more awesome, with the smaller one on the top it might be overkill though, but with the right colours(leaving that to you) it should be possible to make it even more incredible.

(runs short on words in english todescribe the idea) i hope you get what i mean =S

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Looks very nice

Thanks! :)

Wicked work MA as always.so much dremel goodness. That Bosch pedestool looks interesting as well. I wonder what extra functionality it has over a standard drill press. I might have to look into it...

Cheers d33g33 :) The pedestal is solid, and has a LED light and laser guide. You can also set the depth in case if you do not want to drill all the way through your material.

I actually like the unsleeved wires because they just feel smaller and that goes well with the case.

I am very fond of the unsleeved wires as well, and have had them before in my Monolith FT03 project. These have already been sleeved though with some amazing sleeving and bold colour, which I am sure will win you, and most everyone else, over ;)

This is so cool. I love SFF builds and it's really inspiring. Those cables are going to look sweet with sleeve on them!

Thank you nchilds, I really hope that you create your own SFF project if you have not already done so!

Bonering intensifies 

Tent pitching huh?

Looks nice.

Im glad to see more case manufacturers going into the aluminum case market, it might drive the p;rices down

This chassis is all class, with a couple of tiny flaws which do not take away from the overall goodness :)

are you going to mount another fan on that cpu cooler i also own a cryrig cooler and they are simply amazing ! 

I might, it depends on the RAM that I use. If Kingston decide to sponsor than I will use just one fan. 

Thanks for reading guys!

/J

awww damn mate, just damn...

1 thing though, you should try, at the very least TRY to make a bent window for that large hole, that would look really sick, 1 piece of acrylic window, with a 90 degree bent.

if possible of course, should be, that's the only thing i can think of making this more awesome, with the smaller one on the top it might be overkill though, but with the right colours(leaving that to you) it should be possible to make it even more incredible.

(runs short on words in english todescribe the idea) i hope you get what i mean =S

Thank you!! :)

I have made a bent window though for the largest opening. you can see it resting on the chassis at the top of the image column for the window update ;)

/J

Looks amazing

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."