AKG K7XX or Phillips Fidelio X2

Faceman

The Massdrop AKG K7XX Limited Edition, First edition headphone drop is coming to an end in about 8 hours and I'm trying to decide if it is worth it to go for the AKGs for $200, or the Phillips Fidelio X2 for $300.

I currently have use a FiiO E10K + Superlux HD668B.  I really love the Superlux's, I think they are absolutely incredible and sound way better than what their price would have you believe.  Part of the reason I have held off on buying new cans is because I want to make sure I am getting an upgrade.  Some of the headphones I have tried in stores, mostly Sennheisers don't warrant the $200 price tag, because I am not hearing a $200 improvement in sound over my Superluxs.  It could be because the in-store trial pairs aren't amped properly, or because they aren't sampling something that is really relevant to what I like.  I do care a lot about price to performance, but I also care about the better sounding product based on my criteria outlined below.

Immersion is the most important thing to me.  I want to be put right in the center of the action.  I want to be in the game.  I also want music to wash over and envelope me.  Transcend me to the recording studio where the masterpiece is being made.  "A masterpiece, a masterpiece, they've got to write a masterpiece to pay the reeent!"  I like bass, I want bass, but I don't want it to be overwhelming, I want it to be there when it is there, nothing more, definitely nothing less.

I play games, watch shows, movies and listen to music.   Music, I listen to everything but country.  I am a big House, Rap, Rock fan, but also listen to more calming and classical music as well.  I really enjoy powerful, crisp and clear vocals.  I don't want anything to sound muddled, I want everything to be well represented and work together in synergy.

Games, I play a wide variety, mostly RPG and FPS.  I do want to be able to pinpoint and enemy when playing an FPS, and I have heard that the sound stange in the AKG is superior, but the X2 isn't bad.

I know this is a relatively impossible ask being as this is a sensory peripheral, and there is no substitute for first hand experience, as well as everyone having a different opinion on what they are hearing, but I am hoping one of you could give me a synopsis of why you would pick one over the other given the criteria I listed.

I guess my biggest question is, is the X2 worth an additional $100 over the K7XXs?

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

If bass is what you're looking for, X2. AKG house sound is neutral with slight warmth in the lows, so the bass can sound lean and dry to some

I owned the K712 before I got my K7XX.  To my ears they are identical.  Consider the K7XX as a much better value because it's a $400 headphone selling for $199.  As for the X2?  It's another I've been curious about but reviews suggest it may be more laid back than the AKG and I really, really like crystal clear upper mids and treble.  I'd say go for the K7XX.  If you take care of them you are likely to be able to get your $199 back out of them with ease.  $299 for a used pair of X2 might be a bit more trouble.

Here is an interesting review of the X2 vs some others including the AKG Q701:  http://www.neowin.net/news/philips-fidelio-x2-headphones-review

System: i5 6600K@3.6 GHz, Gigabyte Z170XP SLI, 2x8 Corsair DDR 3000, Corsair Hydro H60i cooler, Rosewill CAPSTONE 750w Gold PSU, 1x 512GB SSD, 1x 2TB 7200RPM, Windows 10 Pro x64
Display: XFX R9 390 DD, triple 1920x1200 24" HP monitors (5760x1200 @ 60Hz)   Sound: Audio-gd NFB-11 -> AKG K7XX or 2.1 speaker system

Consider the K7XX as a much better value because it's a $400 headphone selling for $199.  

This logic makes my stomach churn. If they can sell a $400 headphone for $200, then it's not a $400 headphone. rolleyes.gif

Based on reading, it sounds like these headphones are very different with strengths in different areas and polar opposites to some extent.

It sounds like the X2 is a much better Bassy headphone, but it sometimes muddies up the music.  The AKG is a much clearer sounding headphone that lacks bass.  The AKG provides intricate detail and clarity.

Is there something in the middle maybe that is a best of both worlds?  Provides the bass of the X2, but the clarity and detail of the AKG?

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Based on reading, it sounds like these headphones are very different with strengths in different areas and polar opposites to some extent.

It sounds like the X2 is a much better Bassy headphone, but it sometimes muddies up the music.  The AKG is a much clearer sounding headphone that lacks bass.  The AKG provides intricate detail and clarity.

Is there something in the middle maybe that is a best of both worlds?  Provides the bass of the X2, but the clarity and detail of the AKG?

I've not tried either to be completely honest, but possibly the AKG K612 could be this middle ground. I'll sell you mine. biggrin.png

I've not tried either to be completely honest, but possibly the AKG K612 could be this middle ground. I'll sell you mine. biggrin.png

I appreciate the offer, let me do some research on them and get back to you.

You said you want immersion but closed headphones do that better. Maybe you're looking at the wrong headphones?

Perhaps.  What are some good closed headphones in the $200-$300 range?

You said you want immersion but closed headphones do that better.

Debatable. 

NAD Viso HP50 and PSB M4U 1 are my favorite things to recommend at that price range. They essentially sound the same, but there's some slight build differences that make some people like one more than the other. Lately the HP50 has been available for $50 less than the M4U so I'd go with that one.

Sennheiser is going to release a 2.0 Momentum series eventually, and the Over-Ear has been redesigned to actually be over-ear with larger cups. It'll probably be in this price range.

Then there's modded versions of the T50RP to consider. I've had a V3 from MayflowerElectronics I thought was great, but it is a darker sounding headphone much like the HD650. I like the 650 and V3 so much because the have great bass in plentiful amounts while also having accurate/precise sounding treble, even if the treble is a few dB behind the bass.

@ShearMe

Thank you for those recommendations, have a bunch of research to do.

I just wish Tigerdirect and BestBuy had more headphones to try out.  It seems like it is dominated by Sennheiser, and I'm not even sure if they are properly amped.

I don't know how much help it'll be (or if it's any help at all), but I posted a similar thread on Head-Fi a while back. http://www.head-fi.org/t/743959/new-here-need-help

Apprently the Sony MA900 are another one to look at. 

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

This logic makes my stomach churn. If they can sell a $400 headphone for $200, then it's not a $400 headphone. rolleyes.gif

Heh!  That logic works both ways too.  The point I was trying to make is that it might be short sighted to consider a headphone's overall quality based solely on the price they are selling for.  This is (was) especially true of the K7XX, which was arguably sold for much less than they likely could have been.  Possibly the best deal in headphones since I saw HD600/650's for crazy low prices a while back on Rakuten.  

System: i5 6600K@3.6 GHz, Gigabyte Z170XP SLI, 2x8 Corsair DDR 3000, Corsair Hydro H60i cooler, Rosewill CAPSTONE 750w Gold PSU, 1x 512GB SSD, 1x 2TB 7200RPM, Windows 10 Pro x64
Display: XFX R9 390 DD, triple 1920x1200 24" HP monitors (5760x1200 @ 60Hz)   Sound: Audio-gd NFB-11 -> AKG K7XX or 2.1 speaker system

Whatever Shearme said. Another option is the DT770 since it's a good compromise. It is closed so you get that immersive feeling and it has a fairly wide sound stage for a closed headphone. 

Heh!  That logic works both ways too.  The point I was trying to make is that it might be short sighted to consider a headphone's overall quality based solely on the price they are selling for.  This is (was) especially true of the K7XX, which was arguably sold for much less than they likely could have been.  Possibly the best deal in headphones since I saw HD600/650's for crazy low prices a while back on Rakuten.  

600/650 are definitely overpriced at MSRP, but just about every headphone over $50 is. I'll agree $200 for the K7XX is a good price, but not that is is a great deal. :)

600/650 are definitely overpriced at MSRP, but just about every headphone over $50 is. I'll agree $200 for the K7XX is a good price, but not that is is a great deal. :)

Great deal!  If you could find HD600s for $199 would that be a good price or a great deal?  It's like that. ;)

MSRP of the HD650 is $499, apparently, the HD600 $399?  Not bad for products that have been around since the last century, mostly unchanged.  Massdrop lists the MSRP of the K7XX at something like $649.  Amazon says the MSRP of the K712 Pro is $699.  Pretty steep, but they are relatively new products and the common street price is quite a bit lower.

gg my tautology experience

I think.... I think I agree with that. I would probably go up to $100 instead of $50. I do not feel like my K7XX's are worth 4 of my SE-A1000's, but diminishing returns and such, as well as they have much more comfortable pads. I will say that the K7XX's are the first headphones that actually need a amp to get loud enough. 

Internets Machine: Intel 4690k w/ Be Quiet! Pure Rock 4.7Ghz. MSI Krait z97. 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Ram. MSI GTX 970 SLI 1520mhz. 500GB Samsung EVO 840  & 3TB WD Blue Drive. Rosewill 1000w Modular PSU. Corsair Air 540

My Beats Yo: Desktop:SMSL SA-160 Amp, KEF Q100 w/ Dayton 100w Sub Theater: Micca MB42X-C x3, MB42X x2, COVO-S x2 w/Dayton 120w Sub Headphones:  HIFiMan HE-400i, PSB M4U2, Philips Fidelio X2, Modded Fostex T50RP, ATH-M50, NVX XPT100, Phillips SHP9500, Pioneer SE-A1000, Hyper X Cloud 1&2, CHC Silverado, Superlux 668B

I think.... I think I agree with that. I would probably go up to $100 instead of $50. I do not feel like my K7XX's are worth 4 of my SE-A1000's, but diminishing returns and such, as well as they have much more comfortable pads. I will say that the K7XX's are the first headphones that actually need a amp to get loud enough. 

All together now, children:

"All headphones need an amp!"

I dunno about all, but the FiiO E10K certainly helped out my Superlux HD668Bs that get by quite well without amping, but with the amp, wow. 

The Superluxs are a big reason why I am so hesitant to buy a new set of headphones, they just sound so damn good considering what I paid.  I am missing the bass and immersion, but other than that, these babies are crystal clear, everything is so well represented, nothing is missed.

I don't understand your hatred for amps. There definitely are headphones that need an amp to get to pleasurable listening levels, and the K7XX's are one of them. Maybe you listen to your headphones quietly, but I sure don't.

Internets Machine: Intel 4690k w/ Be Quiet! Pure Rock 4.7Ghz. MSI Krait z97. 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Ram. MSI GTX 970 SLI 1520mhz. 500GB Samsung EVO 840  & 3TB WD Blue Drive. Rosewill 1000w Modular PSU. Corsair Air 540

My Beats Yo: Desktop:SMSL SA-160 Amp, KEF Q100 w/ Dayton 100w Sub Theater: Micca MB42X-C x3, MB42X x2, COVO-S x2 w/Dayton 120w Sub Headphones:  HIFiMan HE-400i, PSB M4U2, Philips Fidelio X2, Modded Fostex T50RP, ATH-M50, NVX XPT100, Phillips SHP9500, Pioneer SE-A1000, Hyper X Cloud 1&2, CHC Silverado, Superlux 668B

I went with the 7XX for my gaming setup and for $200 bucks it was def worth. Directional sound from these headphones are very accurate, and for all other media they still sounds great. These are also extremely comfortable, they can sit on my head for days on end. 

I don't understand your hatred for amps. There definitely are headphones that need an amp to get to pleasurable listening levels, and the K7XX's are one of them. Maybe you listen to your headphones quietly, but I sure don't.

I dunno about all, but the FiiO E10K certainly helped out my Superlux HD668Bs that get by quite well without amping, but with the amp, wow. 

The Superluxs are a big reason why I am so hesitant to buy a new set of headphones, they just sound so damn good considering what I paid.  I am missing the bass and immersion, but other than that, these babies are crystal clear, everything is so well represented, nothing is missed.

All headphones require an amplifier. Some headphones just require more power, or amplification, than others to reach a desired volume.