Below ambient with Air or water cooling?

CoolaxGaming

Hello LTT!

I have a question about air cooling and water cooling. 

A few months ago I wondered that can you have a super awesome duper mega ultra watercooling or aircooling setup and bring tempratures below ambient. Well after some thought, I concluded it was impossible. Because if ambient is 30C, all objects are at 30C, which includes the processor and your computer parts. And if the processor is producing heat and has 30C air blown onto it, how can it go under 30C?

So for people who dont want to read dat - 

Assumption: I dont think you can bring temperatures below ambient with Air or water cooling.

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

That would defy the second law of thermodynamics.

So my assumption is right right?

Well air will sometimes be cooler than room temp, because objects retain heat better than air, so when air is moving at a high speed, it is cooler.

Try this: Put your hand half an inch away from your mouth, breathe out gently, what do you get? Warm air. Then. Blow hard, cold air. You may be able to get lower than ambient, but it doesn't really matter.

But either way it's just not possible.

Downloading programs from CNet is not a good idea, as they will commonly include unwanted, and sometimes dangerous bloatware... The more you know.

Well air will sometimes be cooler than room temp, because objects retain heat better than air, so when air is moving at a high speed, it is cooler.

Try this: Put your hand half an inch away from your mouth, breathe out gently, what do you get? Warm air. Then. Blow hard, cold air. You may be able to get lower than ambient, but it doesn't really matter.

Im confused... Eh ima have to look it up in a book

A CPU cooler is using ambient air to take heat away from the CPU by transferring as much of it as possible to that air. For your CPU to surpass your ambient temperature, you would have to continue dumping heat after reaching thermal equilibrium.

It would be impossible, yes.

There was a really interesting product that came out a few years back that was a CPU block with some device in it that made sub ambient temps possible in a normal water cooling loop. I can't remember the name of it, but from memory I think it was like a peliter cooler (or however you spell it) embedded in a CPU waterblock. But it never became mainstream.

Could use a differnet substance to liquid cool xD

There was a really interesting product that came out a few years back that was a CPU block with some device in it that made sub ambient temps possible in a normal water cooling loop. I can't remember the name of it, but from memory I think it was like a peliter cooler (or however you spell it) embedded in a CPU waterblock. But it never became mainstream.

@LinusTech is building a rig atm ithink thier white build is gonna be sub zero cpu, maybe, thought i saw it on a wan show

I should point out, that there is a heavily implicit "passively" in everything I've written so far. It's obviously possible to force heat to continue move, but it takes energy to do it. We call it refrigeration, and it produces even more heat that you need to dump somewhere else.

@LinusTech is building a rig atm ithink thier white build is gonna be sub zero cpu, maybe, thought i saw it on a wan show

Yeah its a phase changer thing.. Works like a Refrigerator I think.

Yeah he's using a phase change cooler for it. I think the rig is called Whiteout.

This is another way to get sub zero temps. Though alot riskier due to condensation and stuff like that :)

Also Singularity computers are working on a prototype for a sub zero cooling system that can be added into regular water cooling loops. But apart from announcing that he's been prototyping it there's no other details on that

Phase change cooling is what they are doing. 

As long as they insulate the area around the socket area they will be able to use their hardware again. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

This thread makes me really want to start working on my peltier cooled rig again.

I got as far as coating the board to protect from condensation and assembling qx33Fecm.jpg  Thats 2 waterblocks attached to a peltier  plan is hot side with 2 rads and a pump and cold side with cpu and a single rad also with a pump. I should put some time into that this weekend.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

I have to wonder about the sense in anyone in Canada wanting sub-ambient cooling :P They're already doing whole-room water cooling with the rads outside, that's enough of a condensation risk as it is, since they're using outdoor ambient instead of inside to cool the water.

This thread makes me really want to start working on my peltier cooled rig again.

I got as far as coating the board to protect from condensation and assembling qx33Fecm.jpg  Thats 2 waterblocks attached to a peltier  plan is hot side with 2 rads and a pump and cold side with cpu and a single rad also with a pump. I should put some time into that this weekend.

That looks wicked!

Let us know how it goes!

So I had an idea about it the other day, Is it possible to submerge a peltier cooler within a custom CPU block that's been like CNC'd or something and hopefully the liquid would take care of the condensation issue? Just spitballing, I don't really know enough about peltiers but I thought that could be a cool way to incorporate it into a regular loop

That looks wicked!

Let us know how it goes!

So I had an idea about it the other day, Is it possible to submerge a peltier cooler within a custom CPU block that's been like CNC'd or something and hopefully the liquid would take care of the condensation issue? Just spitballing, I don't really know enough about peltiers but I thought that could be a cool way to incorporate it into a regular loop

The condensation issue from what I have read is really going to bite you while the rig is idle and the rest of the cold side of your loop gets sub dew point and at that point all of your radiators and tubing will start dripping.

The peltier I have in there is 245W but only does about 80W in cooling if rigged up perfectly so Im not really worried about that because my plan is too have the peltier off at idle and just run off the single radiator on the cold side eventually throwing a themostat fitting in on the out side of my cpu so that the peltier turns off if it is colder than room temp. (Unless I'm taking screen shots to screw with people :P)

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

The condensation issue from what I have read is really going to bite you while the rig is idle and the rest of the cold side of your loop gets sub dew point and at that point all of your radiators and tubing will start dripping.

The peltier I have in there is 245W but only does about 80W in cooling if rigged up perfectly so Im not really worried about that because my plan is too have the peltier off at idle and just run off the single radiator on the cold side eventually throwing a themostat fitting in on the out side of my cpu so that the peltier turns off if it is colder than room temp. (Unless I'm taking screen shots to screw with people :P)

Well just rigging the peltier to turn off below a certain temp would potentially solve any condensation issues then :) I wouldn't be looking at sub ambient temps, just enough extra cooling to keep the cpu at room temps under load :)

Would it be possible for the physical CPU to be cooler than the ambient temperature of the case? If that is the case, then my build should evenly and thoroughly be at a temperature of 70*C, the mean temperature of my hottest unit, the GPU. Following my thought process of parts being cooler than the ambient temperature of the case, there are going to be hot zones and cold zones in a computer (which I know there are, hot zones being the GPU and CPU usually, and cold zones being the areas that are unoccupied), and any given part of the computer could be anywhere between those temperatures. I also might be basing my claims off of the wrong numbers, I was going off the AMD FX-8350 tree, while the motherboard tree shows the CPU at closer to 31*C. Here is a full screencap of CPUID HWMonitor (http://puu.sh/gmKVl.png). Feel free to reference my claims on the following thread (). I cannot get my thermal node close enough to the CPU without opening my chassis, which disrupts the temperature of the case, thus resulting in an inaccurate reading.

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

Would it be possible for the physical CPU to be cooler than the ambient temperature of the case? If that is the case, then my build should evenly and thoroughly be at a temperature of 70*C, the mean temperature of my hottest unit, the GPU. Following my thought process of parts being cooler than the ambient temperature of the case, there are going to be hot zones and cold zones in a computer (which I know there are, hot zones being the GPU and CPU usually, and cold zones being the areas that are unoccupied), and any given part of the computer could be anywhere between those temperatures. I also might be basing my claims off of the wrong numbers, I was going off the AMD FX-8350 tree, while the motherboard tree shows the CPU at closer to 31*C. Here is a full screencap of CPUID HWMonitor (http://puu.sh/gmKVl.png). Feel free to reference my claims on the following thread (). I cannot get my thermal node close enough to the CPU without opening my chassis, which disrupts the temperature of the case, thus resulting in an inaccurate reading.

No it cant. Because since everything is producing different amounts of heat, all the temps are different. If you were running all the fans and everything with all the parts off, your Ambient temp = Parts temp

Just because the air is moving quickly does not make it cooler. It changes how it feels, yes, but not the actual temperature of the air.

Think about wind chill. Wind makes the cold air feel colder