Apple to Buy 1/3 of Global Gold Supply for its i-Watch

ahhming

OMG, GUYS, BUY GOLD WHILE IT'S STILL CHEAP!

and then apple abandons the gold watch and instead uses a black and blue design.

who cares...

http://www.rolex.com/watches/day-date/m118206-0040.html

You kids can stop thinking this is even remarkable now.

Just going to point out that gold is cheap and plentiful compared with platinum,

Stop being reasonable. 

Don't show them what Audemars charges for one of theirs in gold...

And before people say "But they have brand names and have been doing it a long time". Yea, and? Apple is a brand stronger than all the watch makers on Earth. AND this is the best part, most of these watch makers use WORSE movements in their watches compared to what other brands offer.

You build a brand name, you charge whatever you want. Some people don't want to understand that simple part. The Watch Edition isn't for you or me. Its for Mr. John Smith who already bought a couple APs and Hublots and needs something new for the sake of it. 

This is excess spending at its finest, and it doesn't care about "specs" or "overpriced". 

Real smart of you apple, real smart.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

Stop being reasonable. 

Don't show them what Audemars charges for one of theirs in gold...

And before people say "But they have brand names and have been doing it a long time". Yea, and? Apple is a brand stronger than all the watch makers on Earth. AND this is the best part, most of these watch makers use WORSE movements in their watches compared to what other brands offer.

You build a brand name, you charge whatever you want. Some people don't want to understand that simple part. The Watch Edition isn't for you or me. Its for Mr. John Smith who already bought a couple APs and Hublots and needs something new for the sake of it. 

This is excess spending at its finest, and it doesn't care about "specs" or "overpriced". 

Yeah, it's one of the funny things I find about smart watches in general really. People complain about paying £200 for a smart watch, when it's actually really easy to spend more on an ordinary watch, even when you exclude companies like Rolex (whose pricing is more comparable to that of a car -- and a luxury car at that)

I hope they do it and have huge piles of gold left over

Wouldn't be the worst thing for them. All they would have to do is wait for the price of gold to rase from when they got it and they just made all there money back then some

AND this is the best part, most of these watch makers use WORSE movements in their watches compared to what other brands offer.

Audemars actually has one of the best movements :unsure:

Rolex's movement (in general) is crap though

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Audemars actually has one of the best movements :unsure:

Rolex's movement (in general) is crap though

I generalized there, but yea. Its not like the storied watch brands are storied because their watches are actually using fantastic movements. Not always. 

Bell Ross especially. Marketing at its finest, not that I mind. I find some of their deigns quite nice. Others scoff at the idea of paying a few grand for a watch like that. 

Others scoff at the idea of paying a few grand for a watch like that.

Ya....I think people who buy watches (for personal collections and such -- for investment purposes it's a different story) are crazy...but I understand that everyone has their own thing -- so as long as they're happy then so be it.

/People who spend tens of thousands of dollars on a watch are still crazy though

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Huh?

didnt realized it falled again, was looking at it the middle of last month

Its all about those volumetric clouds

Or I don't know, that foil they use to protect spacecraft, making semi-conductors, you know, all those things that can help advance mankind.

No, fuck it, lets just make asinine watches for hipsters who can't actually afford the fucking things in the first place.

Are you blind?

Obviously those watches will help humanity.

They can beam food on command, ending world hunger.

Are you blind?

Obviously those watches will help humanity.

They can beam food on command, ending world hunger.

Not sure if sarcasm or serious.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Not sure if sarcasm or serious.

Of course sarcasm :P

So the watch will be worth more in raw materials then any of it's features or functions..... I'm sure a bunch of retarded apple sheep will jump on board and buy it though. 

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

So the watch will be worth more in raw materials then any of it's features or functions..... I'm sure a bunch of retarded apple sheep will jump on board and buy it though. 

Because several thousand to several hundred thousand dollar watches, which display the current time (and MAYBE the date, another time zone, or the moon's phase) from Rolex, Audemars, Hublot, Patek, and a whole bunch of others don't exist.....right?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Because several thousand to several hundred thousand dollar watches, which display the current time (and MAYBE the date, another time zone, or the moon's phase) from Rolex, Audemars, Hublot, Patek, and a whole bunch of others don't exist.....right?

One of my better "You're fucking kidding me" moments came when I bought a watch that didn't show the date. Wonderful skeleton back and clean design, but it didn't show the date. It cost 550. Not that I was pissed, rather I was amused. It was just the "Oh lol, this doesn't even show date". 

People acting like this is the first time in the history of anything that something expensive has shown up that doesn't have the A-Z of features...

Indeed they do but they don't have the same very limited lifespan of a smart watch. That apple watch will be next to if not completely useless in 5years or less. If I were to spend even $500 on a half decent mechanical watch it would last and continue to be fully functional for 10-20 years assuming it wasn't smashed. 

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

Indeed they do but they don't have the same very limited lifespan of a smart watch. That apple watch will be next to if not completely useless in 5years or less. If I were to spend even $500 on a half decent mechanical watch it would last and continue to be fully functional for 10-20 years assuming it wasn't smashed. 

An Apple watch will display the time just as well 50 years from now as it does right now. Functionality-to-longevitiy-wise it's no different; it simply offers additional features at the moment. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

An Apple watch will display the time just as well 50 years from now as it does right now. Functionality-to-longevitiy-wise it's no different; it simply offers additional features at the moment. 

No it wont actually I bet you wont be able to get batteries for it in 50 years(I doubt you'll be able to replace it's battery in 5-10 years) and the dramatically increased power drain and needing to charge it daily means you're not going to have a very great battery life span before needing to replace it. Is it even replaceable? (Batteries can only be cycled so many times) Mobile phones suffer from the same problem but you don't see me buying a gold smartphone do you?

Apple watch 2.0 will be made of solid diamonds...

No it wont actually I bet you wont be able to get batteries for it in 50 years(I doubt you'll be able to replace it's battery in 5-10 years) and the dramatically increased power drain and needing to charge it daily means you're not going to have a very great battery life span before needing to replace it. (Batteries can only be cycled so many times) Mobile phones suffer from the same problem but you don't see me buying a gold smartphone do you?

Watch collectors are quite common....smartphone collectors on the other hand....not so much. 

And when just being used as a watch, the battery life isn't completely terrible.

Let's just get something very clear, most watch collectors aren't being practical with their collections -- most high end watches have god-awful movements (see Rolex, Hublot, and most designer watches) -- which can't maintain a time -- which is at least as bad as a watch with poor battery life. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Watch collectors are quite common....smartphone collectors on the other hand....not so much. 

And when just being used as a watch, the battery life isn't completely terrible.

Let's just get something very clear, most watch collectors aren't being practical with their collections -- most high end watches have god-awful movements (see Rolex, Hublot, and most designer watches) -- which can't maintain a time -- which is at least as bad as a watch with poor battery life. 

I'm not to sure apple are aiming this at watch collectors but ok...... I'm talking about it not even having the ability to power on at all after a few years not that it just wont last all that long per charge. (honestly I've never owned a watch that cost more then $2000 so I can't comment on super expensive watches time keeping ability simply because I've never used one)

I'm not to sure apple are aiming this at watch collectors but ok...... I'm talking about it not even having the ability to power on at all after a few years not that it just wont last all that long per charge. (honestly I've never owned a watch that cost more then $2000 so I can't comment on super expensive watches time keeping ability simply because I've never used one)

Who else would the Watch Edition be targeted at?

And I doubt the battery would get even close to that bad -- as just a watch it should still last for quite a while.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Who else would the Watch Edition be targeted at?

And I doubt the battery would get even close to that bad -- as just a watch it should still last for quite a while.

Well people like my buddy Bill who earns $3000ish a week from work plus at least that again when ever his band plays and loves his Iphone and stupid Mac laptop. That's who I pictured it being aimed at lol people with more money then sense. If the battery isn't replaceable(or becomes unavailable)  it will get that bad in time. Depending on what battery tech it uses it may only take a few years even just being used as a watch.(I've got some $400 waterproof lipo RC batteries(MaxAmps) that have lasted less then 2 years some with regular use and others with only a few cycles then correctly stored rechargeable batteries just have limited lives) 

Yea I doubt Apple will be buying up THAT much gold. This report is guessing at how much gold is in each watch, how many watches Apple is going to make, and then at what percentage of those will be the gold model. In other words, they have no clue and this is just a clickbait story going around.