YouTube: 1 Billion Viewers, No Profit

Overl0rd

So google needs people to go on youtube.com otherwise ads played via links like here on forum, facebook etc. dont count?!

I dont understand.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

They've gotten too big for their britches it seems.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

*Keeps ad block on*

Last time is disabled it the exact same Budweiser human pac-man ad ran on every single video I watched for 2 days.

Normally I don't mind ads so long as it isn't the same ad 2 dozen times in a row.

Only time mines not running is on this forum and when I watch one of the LTT videos and remember to turn it off last time I had it off for anything else I had roughly 2-3 terrible adds per longer video and just like tv they're always about twice as loud as the content you're actually trying to watch.

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

Not saying everything that doesnt get views is crap... But every video that just sits there costs youtube money. And theres Millions of those thats why they're having trouble making money.

Try billions.

Slightly worrying for the future of YouTube

they either A) spend less money on improving the platform or abandon it

or they B) have EVEN more aggressive advertising or subcriptions

I could see them shift to a platform thats solely focused on the already established content creators and heavily restrict random people uploading videos. Like a Netflix-y type thing.

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

I could see them shift to a platform thats solely focused on the already established content creators and heavily restrict random people uploading videos. Like a Netflix-y type thing.

yeah that's definitely something they could do, and for others that want to publish their content they have to pay a membership fee or something

dont give them ideas

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

doesn't it say in second article (that's behind the paywall) that they went up from 3 billion $ profit to 4billion ?

fx-8350 @4,4Ghz/sapphire r9 fury/2x 8gb Kingstone ddr3 @2030Mhz

Yeah, this article is deceiving: Google never makes money from their products directly. That is not what they want to do honestly. They PAY phone makers to use Android in their phones, they give away Gmail accounts, google drive space, they never charge a dime for google maps and you can bet good money they are not making money on Google Fiber either. All of that costs them money, quite a bit of money.

In the end however, it doesn't matter if one part is not making them money, that's not what they want. What they want it's for you to basically constantly be on their ecosystem, whenever you're watching videos, using email, browsing, searching things, using your phone, etc. That for them is worth 100x more than mere youtube add revenue. They are close to a point in which we just can't get away from them no matter what without significantly and drastically decreasing our online (and even some offline) experiences.

And that is a strategy that works better than just charging everybody a subscription fee to watch videos, once there is no other search engine, no other phone OS, no other mail provider, no other web browser, once everything is google, then they can charge you, destroy ad blocking do whatever.

They also make enough money on many other things, but indeed keeping people inside their ecosystem is what they want as that turns us all into a huge resource for them to sell.

I be honest though the 2 things I would miss are simply the search engine because it works and gmail because I been using gmail since the day you need to get an invite for it and again it just works (even though they keep trying to make it worse with each change). Would I be totally screwed without these? No not really I can use other search engines and there are more than a few webmail services around.

As for things like addblock I am sure if it was a huge problem they would deal with it swiftly enough. To me browsing the web without an addblocker of some sorts is just to painful, I have my turned off for youtube though as I only really watch stuff from a select list of channels and like to support those.

"Hope, what a concept." - Deunan Knute

Good. Hopefully YouTube will one day die.

And that will lead to LMG going to shit and falling off the face of the planet, as well as a TON of other groups and stuff.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

They also make enough money on many other things, but indeed keeping people inside their ecosystem is what they want as that turns us all into a huge resource for them to sell.

I be honest though the 2 things I would miss are simply the search engine because it works and gmail because I been using gmail since the day you need to get an invite for it and again it just works (even though they keep trying to make it worse with each change). Would I be totally screwed without these? No not really I can use other search engines and there are more than a few webmail services around.

As for things like addblock I am sure if it was a huge problem they would deal with it swiftly enough. To me browsing the web without an addblocker of some sorts is just to painful, I have my turned off for youtube though as I only really watch stuff from a select list of channels and like to support those.

I know it hits Linus harder than others but precisely because he deals in tech and techies: Most people actually do not use adblock. Hell there's still a large portion of users who just use internet explorer. Most phone owners (including myself until yesterday when a Facebook article someone shared literally forced me to close the fucking app otherwise it wouldn't stop forcing me to purchase an app) don't adblock at all.

At the end of the day Google's reach is so massive even with ad blocking, they can still sell their adds to merchants for unmatcheable numbers in terms of reach.

-------

Current Rig

-------

*Keeps ad block on*

Last time is disabled it the exact same Budweiser human pac-man ad ran on every single video I watched for 2 days.

Normally I don't mind ads so long as it isn't the same ad 2 dozen times in a row.

God I hate that fucking guy.

My PC: i7 3770k @ 4.4 Ghz || Hyper 212 Evo || Intel Extreme Motherboard DZ77GA || EVGA Hybrid 980ti || Corsair Vengeance Blue 16GB || Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB || WD Black 1TB

Peripherals: Corsair K70 RGB || Sentey Pro Revolution Gaming Mouse || Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250 Ohm Headphone || Benq XL2420Z Monitor

And that is a strategy that works better than just charging everybody a subscription fee to watch videos, once there is no other search engine, no other phone OS, no other mail provider, no other web browser, once everything is google, then they can charge you, destroy ad blocking do whatever.

Jesus...That sounds so...sinister.

And that will lead to LMG going to shit and falling off the face of the planet, as well as a TON of other groups and stuff.

Or a lot more people using twitch, maybe.

I'd pay $1/month to have all my youtube ads disabled and maybe $2/month with 1 free movie rental or something.

This seems a little bizarre to me. I've seen far too many stories 'not making profit' in order to avoid Tax. Maybe i'm just skeptical.

Spoiler
  • Primary PC (Photo editing and gaming on a 4k Monitor): Intel I7 4790k @4.5ghz @1.2v | 24GB  Corsair Vengeance Ram @1600Mhz | 1x Palit GTX 1080 JetStream| 480GB Crucial SSD | 2x WD Blue 500gb | Corsair RM1000 | Corsair 600t
  • Secondary PC (Gaming and watching films on a 42" 4K LG IPS TV @4k60): Inteli7 4790k | Corsair H60 | Asus H81l-plus ITX | 16GB Kingston Hyperx Beast 1600MHz | 1x GTX 980 G1 Windforce| 1x Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO SSD |Corsair CXM750W | Coolermaster Elite 130

Or a lot more people using twitch, maybe.

Shit for uploading videos and watching them when you want to, which YouTube is great at.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I said ''if it doesnt get any attention'' They could implement something like deleting idle videos after 6 or 12 months...

Youtube is like a video library. It's like saying we should burn books because the library doesnt make a profit. Just find a better solution.

Youtube is like a video library. It's like saying we should burn books because the library doesnt make a profit. Just find a better solution.

Yeah. And for companies like Google and Microsoft, storage is cheap, so why delete it?

Good. Hopefully YouTube will one day die.

Google has more than enough income to keep operating Youtube even at a loss. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Yeah, this article is deceiving: Google never makes money from their products directly. That is not what they want to do honestly. They PAY phone makers to use Android in their phones, they give away Gmail accounts, google drive space, they never charge a dime for google maps and you can bet good money they are not making money on Google Fiber either. All of that costs them money, quite a bit of money.

In the end however, it doesn't matter if one part is not making them money, that's not what they want. What they want it's for you to basically constantly be on their ecosystem, whenever you're watching videos, using email, browsing, searching things, using your phone, etc. That for them is worth 100x more than mere youtube add revenue. They are close to a point in which we just can't get away from them no matter what without significantly and drastically decreasing our online (and even some offline) experiences.

The end of the world is soon, Google will take over the world :o

This seems a little bizarre to me. I've seen far too many stories 'not making profit' in order to avoid Tax. Maybe i'm just skeptical.

I honestly think they are making a profit, a lot of people pay to get ads up and running on youtube.... I bet its a big huge tax scam, like most companies. 

The problem is that theres thousands of useless videos uploaded every day that maybe get 10 views and then just sit there on the servers taking up space. Youtube should just start deleting crap automatically if it doesn't get any attention - problem solved.

Yea which is videos not getting the 10s of thousands of views or millions. That's puny for google and considered a waste of space.

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

So google needs people to go on youtube.com otherwise ads played via links like here on forum, facebook etc. dont count?!

I dont understand.

Not quite.

What they mean is that the Youtube.com homepage has premium paid ads on it (Eg: Advertisers who pay the most), so Google earns the most money from the homepage.

What they want you to do is this: Go to Youtube.com THEN search for your video. The problem is when a person launches a video via a link (For example, from Facebook or the forums). Yes, they still earn the ad money from that specific video, but they don't earn the extra ad money from the YT Homepage.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

*Keeps ad block on*

i dont mind ads when they are relevant or interesting. but that rarely happens, so *ad block on for life*