Why some iMessage texts are blue and some are green

OP : As an Android user , i didn't even know this , so thought would interest many who do. 

Blue = iMessage. Green = SMS. But why does that matter?

imessage-blue-and-green.jpg

If you own an iPhone, you may have noticed something odd in the Messages app: some messages are blue and some are green. What's the deal with that?

Short answer: blue ones have been sent or received using Apple's iMessage technology, while green ones are "traditional" text messages exchanged via Short Messaging Service, or SMS.

Does this matter? In the grand texting scheme of things, should you care whether your messages are blue or green?

Maybe yes, maybe no. Let's start by making sure you have all the necessary information. A standard SMS text message is delivered over the same voice networks used for phone calls. Back in the bad old days, carriers charged by the message (often 10-25 cents per!). Then they bundled a fixed number of messages into your calling plan, and now most of them offer unlimited messaging.

In the interim, Apple unveiled iMessage, which looks and acts like standard SMS but actually relies on data networks (cellular or Wi-Fi, whatever you're connected to). That affords two benefits: freedom from carrier rates for SMS (assuming you're paying extra for it or have a capped plan) and a wider set of messaging features.

Indeed, iMessage allows you to do things standard SMS can't, like share your location, send walkie-talkie-style voice messages, check message delivery, and even see if someone's in the process of writing you back (indicated by three dots that appear below your last message).

Ah, but here's the rub: iMessage works only with other iDevice owners. If you have an iPhone and you use the Messages app to contact an Android, BlackBerry or Windows Phone user, iOS recognizes there's no iMessage at the other end and switches (downshifts?) into SMS mode. Your indication that has happened? Green word bubbles instead of blue.

However, you may end up seeing green even if you're corresponding with another iPhone. There are three possible causes:

imessage-activation.jpg

• iMessage isn't activated on your device. (Tap Settings, Messages, then check to see if the feature is switched on. If it is, you should also activate "Send as SMS." Note that you may need to perform a one-time sign-in using your Apple ID.)
  • iMessage isn't activated on the recipient's device.
  • There's no data network available. But if your phone can still connect to a voice tower, it will default back to SMS.

So, are there times when you should opt for one messaging method over the other? Although text messages are very small, picture messages can consume a fair bit of data -- and if your service plan offers unlimited texting but limited data, you may prefer to switch off iMessage in favor of SMS.

On the flip side, if you're corresponding with fellow iPhone users but still seeing only green messages, ask them to enable iMessage at their end so you can enjoy the various benefits of the service. Many users have no idea iMessage is even a thing, and don't realize it's not enabled.

Source : http://www.cnet.com/how-to/why-some-imessage-texts-are-blue-and-some-are-green/

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

I'm not really a fan of 10 cents per send a receive texts so I use this often.

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

are you serious?!?! 

Main System - 2016 13"nTB MBP 256GB

Gaming Rig - 4790K, 16GB RAM, 1080Ti
Monitor - Dell 25" U2515H

K/B & M - Ducky One TKL, Logitech MX Master & G900

Audio - JDS Labs The Element, Aktimate Mini B+, Krix Seismix 3 Mk6, Ultrasone Pro 900

How the heck is this news?

It's been like this since iMessage came out..

Why is this called news?

it IS news to me , never knew before today 

As an Android user , i didn't even know this , so thought would interest many who do. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

it IS news to me , never knew before today

This is like telling people that people using Skype can call other people with Skype but if you want to call someone outside of the system you will have to pay it. And this feature exist for a very long time.

Quick note. Using I messenger can cause issues when you leave apple, your iPhone friends might end up sending imessages to your apple Id based on your phone number and you'll never receive it because not iPhone. Always remember to disable if you're like me and jump from phone to phone

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

This is like telling people that people using Skype can call other people with Skype but if you want to call someone outside of the system you will have to pay it. And this feature exist for a very long time.

Many users have no idea iMessage is even a thing, and don't realize it's not enabled.

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

You...you didn't know this? 

This page from 2012 explains that http://www.ianswerguy.com/green-blue-iphone-messages/

Just saying...this isn't really news

i'm sorry , so according to you the entire people on the planet who uses iPhone knows this just because you assume they know it?

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

How the heck is this news?

It's been like this since iMessage came out..

Well I've always been an android user and it's news to me.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well yes, it might be news to some people, but it isn't news in the sense that this forum category means when it says news

This a "iPhone tip" thing, not news, belongs in the mobile section

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

i'm sorry , so according to you the entire people on the planet who uses iPhone knows this just because you assume they know it?

Im not saying I assume everyone knows, I'm just saying its not news :P 

A quick google search will tell you what you explained.

Now this was moved to Mobile Devices and its totally relevant :) 

Sorry for seeming rude my friend, not my intention 

Im not saying I assume everyone knows, I'm just saying its not news :P

A quick google search will tell you what you explained.

Now this was moved to Mobile Devices and its totally relevant :)

Sorry for seeming rude my friend, not my intention 

it's alright , but as much as people can google it , most people even know this is a thing , and for those who might find this article , will be informed , just because it's on some site somewhere doesn't mean it shouldn't be posted here. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

Wait people don't know this?

Sally: l Intel i5 4690k | | Corsair H55 | | Zalman z12 plus | | Hitachi 2TB HDD | | Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB | | ASRock Fatal1ty z97 Killer | | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | | EVGA SuperNova 750 watt | | MSI 390 | | Windows 10| 

Well I've always been an android user and it's news to me.

I'm practically allergic to iPhones and this is not news to me.

"Rawr XD"

Everyone be nice please. Yeah it doesn't belong in the "news" subforum, but it's not an irrelevant post. Content like this is very discoverable through search so while it might not benefit you personally (and you're really not obligated to reply if it doesn't) it's great content for the site regardless...

Gotta think bigger picture, peeps!

They did change the color of the green recently though.  It used to be a very mellow green, now it's that bright green.

I still don't understand all those Tinder profiles with "Your text messages better be blue or else" the fuck is wrong with not using iMessage.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

Quick note. Using I messenger can cause issues when you leave apple, your iPhone friends might end up sending imessages to your apple Id based on your phone number and you'll never receive it because not iPhone. Always remember to disable if you're like me and jump from phone to phone

Vouch. Happened with my dad after I switched from the 5s to the Oneplus One. It's even worse because IOS always switches his phone back to imessage so I sometimes miss text from him.

As a devout Android user, I never knew this.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

I still don't understand all those Tinder profiles with "Your text messages better be blue or else" the fuck is wrong with not using iMessage.

ikr, maybe they're using text instead of iMessage because the person on the other end prefers to buy a phone that's actually worth the money.

"Rawr XD"

iMessage and Hangouts need to die and people need to send normal text or get a dedicated messanger. Too many issues with these hybrid services.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14