NZXT Phantom 630 Gunmetal Build - Haswell - Sleeved

raze599

Hi everyone

Im in the process of building a new computer, and its the first time I'm posting a build log.

My current computer is running on a Core 2 duo, so it definitely needs to be upgraded. Here is the spec list for the new comp:

Case: NZXT Phantom 630 Gunmetal
CPU: Haswell 4670k
Cooler: Corsair H80i
Motherboard: MSI Z87 G45
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro Red 8GB
PSU: Coolermaster GX750 (non modular, carried over from last comp)
GPU: Nvidia GTX 480 (carried over)
Corsair SSD (carried over)

Going to be sleeving it dark grey and dark red. Specifically with MDPC-X colours Shade 19 and Colour X. I have these but due to an issue with my heatshrink I have put an order in for some proper heatshrink from MDPC.

Anyway, getting started:

The obligatory boxes:

900x900px-LL-16da8cac_Box.jpeg

900x900px-LL-cd2b1187_Box_close.jpeg

Having already received my first MDPC order, I have already sleeved my SATA cables:

900x900px-LL-f70d19bc_SATASleeved.jpeg

Here is the rest of the sleeve, which I cant use at the moment lol

900x900px-LL-04f3ca25_Sleeve.jpeg 

Here is a test fitting of the main parts to make sure they were working, this was a few days ago:

900x900px-LL-0e294f98_IMG_20130624_21372

I cut a backplate for my graphics card from acrylic. Here are some pics:

Testing to see if my new screws and spacers fit. M2.5 screws 12mm. Regular screw is 5mm, spacer is 5mm, acrylic is 2mm.

900x900px-LL-e86012ce_IMG_20130625_15322

900x900px-LL-1058fbc7_IMG_20130625_15333

900x900px-LL-3cc0d270_IMG_20130625_15365

That is the final cut out. Wont be drilling the holes until I change the thermal paste on my GPU. Most likely the day when the heatshrink arrives.

Today I soldered an extension onto the 8 pin cable so it is a continuous length of wire coming from the PSU:

900x900px-LL-501ced05_CameraZOOM-2013070

900x900px-LL-885b5fa1_CameraZOOM-2013070

Slightly rough around the edges but it doesnt matter because its going to be sleeved over and this part is going to be at the back anyway.

Will keep this updated :)

let me know how well it oc's when you get done with it and stuff.. i have the z77a g45 gaming and its a terrible oc board

Edit: looks sick btw makes me want the vengeance pro memory even more xP

It should be good, because this motherboard is near enough the same as the GD65 model and that is a very good overclocking board. However due to the differences in the production of the Haswell chips the overclocks will be lower than previous generation processors.

Me too the gunmetal is brilliant xD

The picture doesn't do it justice but its quite a bit bigger than my last case:

ddhk3m.jpg

Me too the gunmetal is brilliant xD

The picture doesn't do it justice but its quite a bit bigger than my last case:

ddhk3m.jpg

I own the original NZXT Phantom. Trust me, I know :D.

Edited by Dim
Quoting Images

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Cable management could be difficult with the fan controller at the back right in the middle. If it was a corner then maybe it would have been better.

I'll have to see what to do with the double wires on the main 24 pin. I might do what Lutro0 does and solder them futher back along the wire lol

Right so today, I extended the main 24 pin a bit and I adjusted the position and orientation of the sata connections on the power supply. Also finished and drilled the holes for the GPU backplate. Used Noctua NTH1 thermal paste:

900x900px-LL-746492ce_CameraZOOM-2013070

900x900px-LL-2e726406_CameraZOOM-2013070

ohh you should fix those taped wires. get some shrink tube and get some solders so it wont disconnect no matter what. just gives you peace of mind. if your gonna do sleeving might as well get the job done right.

Amd fx-8320 oc 4.1ghz, 8gb ram, gtx 780ti 3gb, 240gb ssd, 1.5tb hdd,

*Que cringe* Heat shrink dude

Edited by Dim
Quoting Images

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS

Lol I did solder them underneath there, I just taped them because I thought the sleeve would cover it up and it wouldnt be noticeable. I'll see how it turns out, I'll replace the tape with heatshrink if I need to :)

Today I will be sleeving, I will post pictures later on.

I'm not really a fan of NZXT cases but the gunmetal version definitely looks much better than the common white version of this case.

Yup I didnt really like the white or the plain black version. All of them could do with a bigger window though lol, however I took out that side fan and that bit is quite see through so its not too bad.

Just sleeved my first full wire xD turned out quite good I think:

LL.jpeg

LL.jpeg

The 8 pin connector is split now, I don't know how but somehow I managed to break one of the holes on the full 8 pin connector and the wire wouldn't clip in. I bent the pins back and everything, turns out the connector somehow broke. So I went back to the original split connectors.

And the solder and tape isnt visible at all with the sleeving on so all is good :)

That is some really good sleeving. Looking forward for the final product.

#OhCrap #KilledMyWife

Sleeved one of my PCI cables. This was a double wire so this is what I did:

LL.jpeg

Cut that little bit off and join it to another wire. Got this wire from an old PSU that doesn't work.

LL.jpeg

Then find the place in the main wire where that new wire would join and cut that little bit:

LL.jpeg

Now join the two together and sleeve and heatshrink it:

LL.jpeg

LL.jpeg

Here is the final result:

900x900px-LL-a2c21da0_IMG_20130703_17594

How many sleeving did u bought ? and how many heatshrink ? and is it enough ? i might sleeve my cables too cause otherwise I'll be bored during summer.... Awesome build man (and how defaq do u sleeve a non-modular power suply ?)

6600K  |  16GB HYPERX  |  GTX1070 FE  |  Z170X-UD3  |  AIR540

Respect the past, Embrace the future.

Damn nice wiring there man. Also I love those sata cables so much! Keep it up!

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

Thanks guys.

I bought 50m of sleeving, and total I have maybe 10m of heatshrink. I bought a lot of extra heatshrink. MDPC recommends 1m of heatshrink for each 10m of sleeving. I am yet to see if 50m will cover it all but it looks ok at the moment.

First I bought cheap heatshrink from another company because I thought all heatshrink was the same, but I found out it wasnt lol so I had to reorder heatshrink from MDPC. I bought 6m from MDPC.

MDPC heatshrink does tend to break though, when youre heating it up one end will just pop and you have to use another piece.

For a non modular power supply you have to open it up and then heatshrink the end of the sleeve inside of the power supply. Its a big PITA though so I wont be sleeving a non modular again after this xD

Maaan, those wires!.. Looks awesome!

Sleeving looks good, but could have done the PSU end ones longer to make it look a bit tidier. Could have put the cable tie on the internal side of the PSU too :)

Lol for some of them I accidentally cut them too short, and for some the joint was right next to the hole and it was impossible to make it longer because I didn't want to point my heat gun directly at the PCB in order to close the heatshrink xD

Today I will work on assembling it, should be finished tomorrow hopefully :)

I finished the build last night, I'll post some pictures later. The pictures arent that good because the camera hates being pointed at lights and it messes it all up. I'll see if I can get some decent pics.

Here are some pics:

LL.jpeg

900x900px-LL-725fd140_CameraZOOM-2013070

900x900px-LL-12bb6e89_CameraZOOM-2013070

LL.jpeg

900x900px-LL-f7a5f33f_CameraZOOM-2013070

Not the best cable management but its not bad I guess. H80i was much harder to install than I expected.