Got a 10k budget and storage to fold, lets build a farm.

Looking to build a cluster of folding monsters in my dorm room and my garage, my budget is 10k. Since i have no other use for the money i might as well contribute it to medical research.

Im very familiar with the bitcoin game and the requirements to become profitable but alas it just doesn't transcribe to folding. 

If you guys would build 5 dream folding machines, how would you guys do it? Network boot? Usb sticks? Gpus? Cpus? Need help people!

So, you can't find a way to spend 10k? ^^

Folding is awesome though.

If you don't care about energy costs either i'd get multiple small machines with crap CPUs and all GTX970s in them. They get ~200k ppd a day which is pretty good.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Well holy shit.. i would tell you to calm down but you probably

know your financial situation better than i do :P

what currency are we talking about here $? with that kind of

investment you would start running into some serious issues

with electricity cost and heat management.. your electricity 

prices are pretty important as that is going to make a serious

impact over 1-3 years.

i would fill up one or two rigs with 970's and be happy with that,

obviously have money for proper storage, might aswell get 

some cheapo hard-drives or ssd's instead of messing with

usb sticks, especially when gpu folding. 

The gpu's are what matters here, everything else is just

housing for them to function optimally without being 

restricted.

Looking to build a cluster of folding monsters in my dorm room and my garage, my budget is 10k. Since i have no other use for the money i might as well contribute it to medical research.

Im very familiar with the bitcoin game and the requirements to become profitable but alas it just doesn't transcribe to folding. 

If you guys would build 5 dream folding machines, how would you guys do it? Network boot? Usb sticks? Gpus? Cpus? Need help people!

Spend 2K on your computer and build a better rig . 1K for upgrades and modification . leftover 7K go and donate to a orphan house where children really need it or spend it on any poor childs education as long as you can.

CPU: i7 4790K | Ram:Corsair Vengeance 8GB | GPU: Asus R9 270 | Cooling :Corsair H100i | Storage : Intel SSD, Seagate HDDs | PSU : Corsair VS 550 | Case: CM HAF Advanced.

Well, in a dorm room it will get very hot. Are you sure you want all of this in a dorm?

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

-snip-

-snip-

Folding is a distributed computing project for disease research which simulates protein folding, computational drug design amongst other things.

Edited by colonel_mortis

The Dude's PC Build<p>i5 4690k @ 3.5ghz w/ The Crappy Intel Stock Cooler | Asus Z97-K | 8GB Corsair Vengance LP DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz |1TB Seagate Barracuda + 120GB Samsung Evo SSD | Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 4GB | 650 Watt CoolerMaster Gaming Series PSU | Bitfenix Shinobi Windowed | BenQ GL2460 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Brown | Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red gaming mouse | A £0.63 mouse pad from artcow.com

Buy some hores?

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

Spend 2K on your computer and build a better rig . 1K for upgrades and modification . leftover 7K go and donate to a orphan house where children really need it or spend it on any poor childs education as long as you can.

I have a 780 ti with an ivy bridge chip, won't be needing to upgrade that in the near future lol. 

Well holy shit.. i would tell you to calm down but you probably

know your financial situation better than i do :P

what currency are we talking about here $? with that kind of

investment you would start running into some serious issues

with electricity cost and heat management.. your electricity 

prices are pretty important as that is going to make a serious

impact over 1-3 years.

i would fill up one or two rigs with 970's and be happy with that,

obviously have money for proper storage, might aswell get 

some cheapo hard-drives or ssd's instead of messing with

usb sticks, especially when gpu folding. 

The gpu's are what matters here, everything else is just

housing for them to function optimally without being 

restricted.

I'm getting the gist of what you're talking about. I really wanna streamline the process though, network boot, usb disks? Matter fact i wanna help my entire dorm building fold. Gunna bring it up in the next hall council meeting. I'm not just giving the money away to a charity, I've made my decision. 

Over on the [H]ard forum, I think I have the link in one of the stickies, they have instructions on making a folding appliance. Problem is, that it is ubuntu. CPU based folding back in the day. What you want to do now is Windows folding. Just as easy to buy a 60GB SSD drive, install Win7 Pro and you are done. 4GB of memory and a mobo with 3 PCIe x16 slots and three 970's... three or four of those boxes and you will be cranking out points. 

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Over on the [H]ard forum, I think I have the link in one of the stickies, they have instructions on making a folding appliance. Problem is, that it is ubuntu. CPU based folding back in the day. What you want to do now is Windows folding. Just as easy to buy a 60GB SSD drive, install Win7 Pro and you are done. 4GB of memory and a mobo with 3 PCIe x16 slots and three 970's... three or four of those boxes and you will be cranking out points. 

You can't GPU fold on open source platforms? Trying to save money and avoid windows keys lol.

You can't GPU fold on open source platforms? Trying to save money and avoid windows keys lol.

There is beta support for Folding on NVidia on Linux, but it is very beta and iffy...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

There is beta support for Folding on NVidia on Linux, but it is very beta and iffy...

Damn, I would love it to support linux because remote management is much, much easier. But as soon as that happens, i'll swap out the os on the drives.

I would suggest doing what both @tobben and @Whaler_99 mentioned. Build a couple of machines that hold three GTX 970's each.

Wow man, where do you get all that money from?

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

Ahh, so thats why my rebuilded Second PC isnt helping so much on Folding. It runs HD 7970 and so far, points and speed are the problem :D

But then again it OS(distro what ever) is "Ubuntu" (for super easy install and Steam) and after Nokia sell im trying to, not to get any more M$ to my home, if i can help it :P