Confusion about windows 10 being free

aidenrelkoff

I have heard all 3 of these:

windows 10 is free to upgrade from windows 7/8 If you do it in the first year.

windows 10 will be a free upgrade after 1 year from release.

windows 10 will be a free upgrade FOR a year, after which you need you buy a licence. 

In the latest techquickie video linus made it sound like option 3, but i thought it was option 1...

can someone clear this up for me?

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

windows 10 will be a free upgrade FOR a year, after which you need you buy a licence. 

In the latest techquickie video linus made it sound like option 3, but i thought it was option 1...

According to Microsoft, it is number 1. But we'll have to wait and see to be 100% sure.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

You have the option to upgrade for up to a year after release and if you get it within that year you don't need to pay for it EVER.

Im pretty confident is the number one, as you have one year to upgrade for free.

I don'T believe it will be free for everyone (who don't allredy own a windows liscence), as it would just be stupid and they would make no money off it. (considering its microsoft that would be a double dumb situation)

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Windows 10 is free for 7/8 owners as long as you update within a year after release.

If you update within a year after release, it's yours to keep.

"Rawr XD"

I don'T believe it will be free for everyone, as it would just be stupid and they would make no money off it. (considering its microsoft that would be a double dumb situation)

Well OSX is free now... so 

"Rawr XD"

You have the option to upgrade for up to a year after release and if you get it within that year you don't need to pay for it EVER.

so if you do that, does it kind of make your windows 7/8 key a windows 10 one? like lets say, you buy a new motherboard (with windows 10), when you boot up it will ask you to "re-activate" windows. After which you call Microsoft and they reactivate it. But will this work? because its a windows 7/8 key

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

Well OSX is free now... so 

no. the upgrade is free. but you can only* put it on apple products so who cares anyway

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Im pretty confident is the number one, as you have one year to upgrade for free.

I don'T believe it will be free for everyone, as it would just be stupid and they would make no money off it. (considering its microsoft that would be a double dumb situation)

They are doing this because....

-Windows 8 was a disaster.

-Lots of people wait to upgrade their OS (sometimes over a year, depending on OS).

-They need everyone to have the Windows Store so they can sell software through it and take a cut of the money.

-Makes them look good.

Option 1

9590|EK-Copper|Sabertooth 990FXR2.0|16GB RIPJAWS Z|Dual MSI Gaming 290|Corsiar AX1200i|Corsair 760T|3TB Seagate+Dual 120GB Samsung 850EVO in Raid 0

LTT'S Official Radeon Master Race Club Founder-Predicts TitanX2 (Prediction Date: 3-30-15)

XFX Needs To Make A 3 Fan Cooler 

My question is will they give you a Windows 10 license if you do it within the first year. That way I could do clean installs if needed afterwards.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

so if you do that, does it kind of make your windows 7/8 key a windows 10 one? like lets say, you buy a new motherboard (with windows 10), when you boot up it will ask you to "re-activate" windows. After which you call Microsoft and they reactivate it. But will this work? because its a windows 7/8 key

I think you have to start with legacy and then upgrade.

They are doing this because....

-Windows 8 was a disaster.

-Lots of people wait to upgrade their OS (sometimes over a year, depending on OS).

-They need everyone to have the Windows Store so they can sell software through it and take a cut of the money.

-Makes them look good.

I ment free for everybody WITHOUT a windows liscence.

My question is will they give you a Windows 10 license if you do it within the first year. That way I could do clean installs if needed afterwards.

they wont do that i dont think, they want users to BUY a new licence if there building a new system, so a clean install might fall into that catagory

I think you have to start with legacy and then upgrade.

explain? do you mean like when your upgrading from 8? or do you mean when your reactivating windows?

they wont do that i dont think, they want users to BUY a new licence if there building a new system, so a clean install might fall into that catagory

explain? do you mean like when your upgrading from 8? or do you mean when your reactivating windows?

I think that you will have to upgrade to get W10 and buying a new license will still cost money. As for the activation I think it will assume you entered a key for legacy versions and it will generate a new key and not ask for you to enter a key.

Does it include 64bit Windows 10

I have 64bit 7 and 8.1, can I get a free upgrade to 64bit 10?

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

Does it include 64bit Windows 10

I have 64bit 7 and 8.1, can I get a free upgrade to 64bit 10?

Yes. 32-bit Windows 10 is there for system running 32-bit only CPUs. Intel sadly made a few Atoms that were 32-bit only. So Microsoft being master of supporting the oldest things (well they do their best), continues with Windows 10 being offered in 32-bit flavor. It's also for legacy devices where 64-bit drivers don't exists. This is important for companies with old equipments. But the focus is 64-bit Windows.