Powering speakers and sub

Agazed

Can imagine, been camping round abouts mesa verde and such before.

Only you could live here, permanently, theres a Smiths and a UPS store. Which are about all a person needs anymore.

Only you could live here, permanently, theres a Smiths and a UPS store. Which are about all a person needs anymore.

Praise be to Satan.

Bump, found documentation on the sub.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.3 GHz       GPU: MSI GTX 980                      Cooling: be quiet! Pure Rock                     OS: Windows 7            Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z

Motherboard: AsRock Z97 PRO4   PSU: Corsair 600W CX600M       Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate   SSD: Intel 120GB 520   Headset: HyperX Cloud II

RAM: 12GB Crucial Ballistix            Case: Corsair 750D                       Mouse: Logitech G502                         HDD: Seagate 1TB        Speakers: Audioengine A5+

Bump, found documentation on the sub.

The sub is indeed 6 ohm if you wire the voice coils in series.

A quick simulation with WinISD shows that it will perform well in a ~85 liter enlosure with a 40hz tuning.

Pretty efficient (93db/w/m), so not much power needed to go loud. Audible extension to 30-35Hz, -3dB at 40hz.

The sub is indeed 6 ohm if you wire the voice coils in series.

A quick simulation with WinISD shows that it will perform well in a ~85 liter enlosure with a 40hz tuning.

Pretty efficient (93db/w/m), so not much power needed to go loud. Audible extension to 30-35Hz, -3dB at 40hz.

Ok, no idea what all that means. What amp would you recommend for usage with my computer?

CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.3 GHz       GPU: MSI GTX 980                      Cooling: be quiet! Pure Rock                     OS: Windows 7            Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z

Motherboard: AsRock Z97 PRO4   PSU: Corsair 600W CX600M       Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate   SSD: Intel 120GB 520   Headset: HyperX Cloud II

RAM: 12GB Crucial Ballistix            Case: Corsair 750D                       Mouse: Logitech G502                         HDD: Seagate 1TB        Speakers: Audioengine A5+

@Agazed

You could feed it a couple of hundred watts, but even a Lepai LP2020A+ would make your ears bleed.

I would go with a TPA3116 board and a line level lowpass powered by a laptop PSU.

Keep in mind that 85 liters is A LOT. Maybe go sealed and use a 6db boost at 55Hz, then you could get away with 35 liters.

There is quite some DIY'ing involved, are you willing to take the challenge?

You have to build the box and wire up the amp and driver. We're ofc here to help you out.

Warning: once you start DIY'ing, you can't stop DIYíng ;p

@Agazed

You could feed it a couple of hundred watts, but even a Lepai LP2020A+ would make your ears bleed.

I would go with a TPA3116 board and a line level lowpass powered by a laptop PSU.

Keep in mind that 85 liters is A LOT. Maybe go sealed and use a 6db boost at 55Hz, then you could get away with 35 liters.

There is quite some DIY'ing involved, are you willing to take the challenge?

You have to build the box and wire up the amp and driver. We're ofc here to help you out.

Warning: once you start DIY'ing, you can't stop DIYíng ;p

I do happen to have a bandpass! I didn't mention it but heres a pic:

L8H7yxcl.jpg

And I do have a 300 watt power supply from my old Dell computer. What do you think about the bandpass and the psu?

EDIT: I also have another 300 watt psu from my brothers old computer. He hasnt used his old computer in years so i'm sure he wont mind.

@Agazed I would have to have the specs of the box to simulate how good/bad it will perform.

Doesn't have to be really exact:

-Port diameter and length

-Volume of the two seperate chambers

The front is sealed and the back is ported right? Making it a 4th order bandpass.

You could use the psu to power a car amp to power the sub.

@Agazed I would have to have the specs of the box to simulate how good/bad it will perform.

Doesn't have to be really exact:

-Port diameter and length

-Volume of the two seperate chambers

The front is sealed and the back is ported right? Making it a 4th order bandpass.

You could use the psu to power a car amp to power the sub.

The 2 ports on the top have a diameter of 4 inches. I have drawn out the measurements of the rest of the box on paper heres a picture:

kzMwot4.jpg

All measurements are in inches

@Agazed

Inner dimensions right?

12 high and 16 deep, correct? 

What's the port length?

Port length is 4.5 inches. And you are correct :)

Port length is 4.5 inches. And you are correct :)

The box can work, but you have to stuff one port completely.

It won't perform nearly as well as the 85 liter ported, but it will still give decent low bass.

Here a graph of the your bandpass box with one port plugged (blue) vs 85 liter ported with 40hz tuning (white).

SPL vs freq, also known as frequency response graph.

ayq7on.png

As you can see, baseline SPL and bass extension are quite a bit different.

Here a graph of the your bandpass box with one port plugged (blue) vs 85 liter ported with 40hz tuning (white).

SPL vs freq, also known as frequency response graph.

ayq7on.png

As you can see, baseline SPL and bass extension are quite a bit different.

Hmm. Might consider building a ported box in the future, but for now I will stay with my bandpass. Now it says the max power is 1500 watts for my sub. Does that mean I should go and buy a 1500 watt amp? Assuming 1500 watts is really loud, how many watts would be the perfect volume just a little after it gets uncomfortable to the ears?

Now it says the max power is 1500 watts for my sub. Does that mean I should go and buy a 1500 watt amp? 

Oh lord no. You'd never exceed 50W for even the bangin-ist of par-tays. Seriously though, read that thread I linked. It was written by the same dude showing off the fancy graphs in this one.

@Agazed

You run out of linear excursion at around 1750 watts.

However, your port is way too small to handle that kind of air displacement.

You run into port problems at around 100 watts.

I wouldn't recommend going any higher than 200, maybe 300 watts in that box.

Even with a couple of watts you can do some serious damage with this thing.

Remember that watts vs loudness is logarithmic. 1 vs 10 watt is the same difference as 10 vs 100.

@Agazed

You run out of linear excursion at around 1750 watts.

However, your port is way too small to handle that kind of air displacement.

You run into port problems at around 100 watts.

I wouldn't recommend going any higher than 200, maybe 300 watts in that box.

Even with a couple of watts you can do some serious damage with this thing.

Remember that watts vs loudness is logarithmic. 1 vs 10 watt is the same difference as 10 vs 100.

What about in the ported box you recommended? The box I have currently is beat up and smells like mold because my basement was flooded this past summer. If I were to build that 85 liter box, what would be the recommended maximum wattage?

Oh lord no. You'd never exceed 50W for even the bangin-ist of par-tays. Seriously though, read that thread I linked. It was written by the same dude showing off the fancy graphs in this one.

I have read it and i'm probably going to go with the Lepai-LP2020A+ to power the bose speakers.

With a proper sized port and a sub sonic filter set on your amp it could handle just over 1000W.

It won't come close to any limits if you will use the Lepai.

Will get proper loud, but you can't leverage its full potential.

With a proper sized port and a sub sonic filter set on your amp it could handle just over 1000W.

It won't come close to any limits if you will use the Lepai.

Will get proper loud, but you can't leverage its full potential.

Any good and cheap 1000w amplifiers out there?

Why would you want that? You're not competing in SPL decibel dragraces?

Plus the fact that your PSU would collapse under the load.

I would look at 100-300W amps from a decent brand.

Guess you can get good ones for 50 dollar.

Or take an amp out my list of cheap but good amps. Can be powered with a PC PSU, but a power brick is neater.

Will not impress your friends as much, but will definitely go loud. Louder than you'll ever need for normal listening

Why would you want that? You're not competing in SPL decibel dragraces?

Plus the fact that your PSU would collapse under the load.

I would look at 100-300W amps from a decent brand.

Guess you can get good ones for 50 dollar.

Or take an amp out my list of cheap but good amps. Can be powered with a PC PSU, but a power brick is neater.

Will not impress your friends as much, but will definitely go loud.

I should note that while this is an acceptable option, that subwoofer is of (to me) unknown quality.

Spending money on a PSU that won't blow up and a decent name brand amp (you might get away with a shit 50$ 3000w amp just don't push beyond 1/8~10th of "RMS" it or have high expectations) you might be better off buying a new boxed active subwoofer by itself. Many of which aren't that costly at all.

this is an even better option if you can peddle this thing off to some guy from some place or some site. 

in a way I feel like what you're trying to venture off doing is building a new low end PC around a P4, when it's probably easier or possibly cheaper to buy something prebuilt (with regards to low end equipment) 

When you talk to those dudes again, be sure to ask them what the RMS is. Peak rating is less than useless. Literally less than useless, it's misleading and borderline deceit.