Anti virus for Linux?

Do any of you know if there are antivirus programs for Linux? I am still a noob at linux, But do people program viruses to work on linux or do they just focus on windows and other OS. I know that, I would probably not need antivirus, because I do not download sketchy files or try and win a free ipad.. But its just been a question that has been lingering in my mind for awhile now.

Overkill Chill:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3450 CPU with Hyper 212evo | RAM:  2 x 4 GB DDR3 MoBo: ASRock H61M-DGS R2.0 | PSU: Rosewill PHOTON 750W | GPU: SAPPHIRE DUAL-X R9 280 3GB | Case: Antec One Gaming | Storage: Kingston HyperX 120gb, Seagate 2 TB | OS: Windows 10 | Displays:  Asus VS228H-P, Hp 2009m

There are almost no viruses for linux at the moment. Black hats simply don't take the time to write them since 1) it's still the third most widely used system and is WAY behind windows in terms of adoption and 2) it's harder to attack, and 3) linux users tend to know what they're doing, making the hacker's job harder.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

There are lots of viruses for linux... you'll have to compile them yourself though.

On a serious note: you don't need an antivirus.

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

As stated, you probably won't need one.

On the other hand, there is ClamAV. It runs on Linux and other systems. It is used to scan emails before they relayed them so that their windows-using clients wouldn't get infected. But as said, you don't need it.

Thanks, that is a great article.

There are almost no viruses for linux at the moment. Black hats simply don't take the time to write them since 1) it's still the third most widely used system and is WAY behind windows in terms of adoption and 2) it's harder to attack, and 3) linux users tend to know what they're doing, making the hacker's job harder.

That makes sense, I knew that no one wouldn't really take the time write them. When they could spend their time on other widely used OS. Thanks for the clearing up the lingering question in my head. :D

Overkill Chill:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3450 CPU with Hyper 212evo | RAM:  2 x 4 GB DDR3 MoBo: ASRock H61M-DGS R2.0 | PSU: Rosewill PHOTON 750W | GPU: SAPPHIRE DUAL-X R9 280 3GB | Case: Antec One Gaming | Storage: Kingston HyperX 120gb, Seagate 2 TB | OS: Windows 10 | Displays:  Asus VS228H-P, Hp 2009m

Best Antivirus: Having a strong root password and only running binaries that you know are safe.

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Yeah, black hats have no interest of getting access to a system that could do IP/TCP spoofing. Also it's opensource and surly WAYY easier to write a malicious script for... 

You don't need an antivirus for Linux. Most of the software you install comes from official repositories (trusted sources).

Yeah, black hats have no interest of getting access to a system that could do IP/TCP spoofing. Also it's opensource and surly WAYY easier to write a malicious script for... 

Good luck with it lasting a day in the open source community. I have black hat background and even I wouldn't waste my time with writing malware for Linux.

Besides most in fact run Linux. There's little motivation in attacking your own OS of choice. Especially with such a small market share.

Being open source doesn't make it less secure. Even if you know exactly how the defences work, they're still much better than what windows has to offer and harder to breach.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

You don't really need antivirus to protect your own pc when you use Linux becuase it's not as much of a problem as with Windows, but it's still good practice in terms of "herd immunity". What I mean by that is just because your own computer isn't affected by that file you can still accidentally send it to others running Windows who might then experience issues. It's like vaccinating yourself against flu as a healthcare worker to not transfer the disease from one patient to another. It may not be necessary for your own health but it's morally the right thing to do.

The best antivirus software for Linux is ClamAV.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Being open source doesn't make it less secure. Even if you know exactly how the defences work, they're still much better than what windows has to offer and harder to breach.

You don't need an antivirus for Linux. Most of the software you install comes from official repositories (trusted sources).

Good luck with it lasting a day in the open source community. I have black hat background and even I wouldn't waste my time with writing malware for Linux.

Besides most in fact run Linux. There's little motivation in attacking your own OS of choice. Especially with such a small market share.

I'm not implying it's less secure. I'm saying everything you would need is right there in front of you in code for and not stuck exploring some dll/framework or even a website to check how to implement a feature.  Windows doesn't even have antivirus... Don't give me that windows defender shit. A weather man saying it's going to rain has more chance of being right. 

" Most of the software you install comes from official repositories (trusted sources)."

Trusted? uh? You mean like how hosts like OVH, etc mirrors them and could easily change what comes out? Hijacking the "repo servers" is one possibility to spread your malware. I know if hosts did mess around with their mirrors, only their servers would get jacked and that seams pointless. But there are possibilities someone that is working on a project owns the server and there  possibilities that the malware could bind it self to the result of the program. 

Attacking your own OS of choice + Small market share

You know why it has a small market because people like you overrate linux being opensource even though thats draws away noobs. Also I for sure don't want to use an OS that barley has any customization options, program compatibility (wine isn't perfect) and an OS thats usually used in datacenters.  

Windows doesn't even have antivirus... Don't give me that windows defender shit.

Are you telling me that Windows Defender in Windows 8 is not a real antivirus? It's Microsofg Security Essentials buit right in.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

There's a ton of viruses for Linux but you have to be 'root' to run them, it's actually the same with Windows so never run as the root user period on any OS.

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress