Folding, PPD to Watt ratio

So I was wondering. Does anyone know where the sweet spot lies when it comes to PPD:Watt?

I know that multi-processor systems used to the go-to for this. But with Maxwell being as power efficient as it is, I don't know anymore.

I think the best PPD/Watt ratio would come in the high-end XEON processors.

It is not cost effective, but it would be efficient

~Judah

Nope, not even close. Normal CPUs are literally the most inefficent way to fold and have been for several generations.The only thing that made cpu folding viable was the BigAdv bonus, but they decided to shut down the entire project. Your best option is to go with a bunch of 750tis or a 970. They have a near identical PPD/watt ratio.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

970s seem to have a really good price:performance:wattage ratio IIRC

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

if you get the right WU's, probably any maxwell gpu, although in theory the 980 should have the best performance per watt because a bunch of 750's would be using more cpu overhead and pci-e resources, plus I would think early completion bonus would help the 980. next in line is probably Hawaii, and then Kepler and Tahiti.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

if you get the right WU's, probably any maxwell gpu, although in theory the 980 should have the best performance per watt because a bunch of 750's would be using more cpu overhead and pci-e resources, plus I would think early completion bonus would help the 980. next in line is probably Hawaii, and then Kepler and Tahiti.

While you are right about the CPU overhead, folding uses little to no pcie bandwidth. Out of curiosity I forced a GTX 750ti and a GTX 580 into PCIe 2.0 1x mode using adapters with no performance hit whatsoever. GPU folding takes almost one cpu thread to run at full speed assuming you are using intel. This means you could theoretically run 8 gpus in a single machine with no performance hit, if only you could find a board with that many slots. Second Gen Kepler, especially the 780ti, is pretty good with power efficiency, but I'd stay away from Hawaii and Tahiti. On the occasions that I let my 295x2 fold it sucks power like its going out of style. 460k ppd is a little on the low side for a 500w GPU, especially when the 250w GTX 970 gets around 300K.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

While you are right about the CPU overhead, folding uses little to no pcie bandwidth. Out of curiosity I forced a GTX 750ti and a GTX 580 into PCIe 2.0 1x mode using adapters with no performance hit whatsoever. GPU folding takes almost one cpu thread to run at full speed assuming you are using intel. This means you could theoretically run 8 gpus in a single machine with no performance hit, if only you could find a board with that many slots. Second Gen Kepler, especially the 780ti, is pretty good with power efficiency, but I'd stay away from Hawaii and Tahiti. On the occasions that I let my 295x2 fold it sucks power like its going out of style. 460k ppd is a little on the low side for a 500w GPU, especially when the 250w GTX 970 gets around 300K.

interesting. my watt meter reads ~190 watts from the wall when my pc is idle, but with 2x 290's folding @ 1100Mhz it reads about 500-520 watts, and ppd is usually 390-450k depending on the WU. 

maybe the 295x2 is really inefficient or something. weird.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

I'm getting ~200,000 PPD from one gtx 970, for reference.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

It was as I thought that Maxwell is pretty much the go-to for efficiency right now. But I'm still curious of how the upcoming AMD cards will perform.

I am thinking of replacing my 780 with a pair of 970's at the moment.

you need a 24 core xeon processors to make a good ppd avg (bigadvv) and also if you want a good ppd you wil have to fold on gpu's cpu is good to for bonus points but thats it.

best ppd/watts is now nVidia 980 that card can pull 320K points for less then 230W.

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

you need a 24 core xeon processors to make a good ppd avg (bigadvv) and also if you want a good ppd you wil have to fold on gpu's cpu is good to for bonus points but thats it.

They increased the minimum requirement for bigadv, so unless you have 24+ cores you don't

even qualify. But as we all know they pulled the plug on bigadv so yah.. bigadv had plenty of

point return when it was a thing. 

point wise cpu sucks ass compared to gpu, bigadv was your only cpu option, but now bigadv

isn't a thing so.. yah. they don't really have anything to show for themselves. The only cpu folding

i can do without impeding the gpu TPF too much is light chrome folding.

i get 260k on my 970 for less than half the price, but certainly the 980 has overclocking potential

aswell, i would bet on the 970 for the best ppd/$, depends on how many gpus you are planning

to get. I don't know exactly how the 970 compares to the 780 in power consumption.

with my HD7970 i need a round 300watts from my wall for core17x(if i member correct). Now with 980 i need ~220watss to run this and a round 250watts with core 15..gallery_15101_2213_223201.jpg

with my HD7970 i need a round 300watts from my wall for core17x(if i member correct). Now with 980 i need ~220watss to run this and a round 250watts with core 15..

nice so i was close indeed :)

with my 2 systems i am using like 1200Watts of power i made one rig for regular use. super cheap xD

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular