Get Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 to replace 35mm Prime?

izt_is
Guys I want to ask, how does the quality and sharpness of image compare between the Canon 35mm f/2 IS and the Canon 17-35mm f/2.8 IS?

I currently have the 35mm Prime, but was thinking of getting the 17-55mm as the f/2.8 is really attractive especially at 17mm for low light photography. 

However cost is a concern, and if the image quality cannot compare to the 35mm prime, then I will have to rethink my decision.

I just got my 70-D so that's APS-C 6 months ago and I love it so I definitely won't be changing that anytime soon. I'm still an amateur anyway :P

Now I spoke to amazon customer service and my 35mm f/2 IS is barely 2 months old and they are willing to refund me the full cost which means I need to top about about 100Euros to get the 17-55mm f/2.8. Now this is definitely very attractive to me.

**as mentioned in earlier posts, I also have a Canon 10-18mm which i got recently as a present. 

To be fair I like the idea of not having to change my lenses with the 17-55mm while having the f/2.8 at all focal lengths. But I don't know it's really costly.

I use my camera 95% for vacations and 5% for pictures of my 1/6 figures and hobby modelling i.e. Macro work. 

Right now, I just don't know if I will regret giving back the prime and going for the 17-55mm f/2.8 but losing image quality in the process...

What do I do?

Is it worth it? Dissuade me maybe? :P

P.S. I tend to only buy canon for now because I really like the in-camera lens correction profiles. I don't shoot RAW yet and never post-process my photos. 

Thanks guys. Love. 

Personally i'd go with the 17-55mm, just because i think it's an epic lens. 

Are you doing any video at all?

If yes, get the lens

If no, just use ur 35mm

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

Not sure if you have seen the sigma 18-35 f1.8, but that may be a good option if you dont need the extra reach of the 17-55. No image stabilization, but i think it is worth the tradeoff to get the widest aperture wide angle zoom on the market. It is also only meant for aps-c cameras, so that is another thing to keep in mind.   http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_5?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=sigma%2018-35mm%20f1.8%20dc%20hsm&sprefix=sigma%2Celectronics%2C157

@izt_is

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

The image quality will be roughly the same since 17-55mm isn't such a large spectrum, i would go for it since it quite a bless not having to switch continiously, altough there might be a little degradtion/chromatic abdoration, but the difference probarlly is minimal(cant google search for test on phone)

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

the suggestion for the sigma lens is really good one. do consider.

Sigma lenses over the Canons at this point in time, the 17-55 is an alright lens but I wouldn't buy it. 

Seriously, look at Sigmas 35mm, its an amazing thing. Actually, every single Sigma ART lens goes against Canon L lenses and basically wins, they are seriously kicking ass right now. 

Another vote for the Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 lens, it really is amazing and there'e nothing else like it out there.

System: Corsair 500R | i7 4770k | Coolermaster 212 Evo | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | Windforce R9 290 | Evo 840 250GB | Barracuda 2TB | Barracuda 3TB | Dell U2410 LG 23EA63V 

If you want low light, the 17-55 f2.8 won't help. either go for a Sigma 18-35mm 1.8, or get a faster prime like nifty fifty 50mm1.8, and look for it at $50USD