US police are facing storage & cost issue because of body camera

ahhming

I was saving that for later.

I agree that most of the old retired APC(such as M113) are retired because they are too slow to keep up with modern tanks.

But AFV could also include tanks.  APC are form of AFV, which includes APC, MBT, IFV...etc.

I like to see where you find cops shooting someone running stop sign.

Post source.

There is no source for bullshit.

It might be a little out of context (the man was entirely Innocent) but not BS:

http://www.cleveland.com/forcing-change/index.ssf/2015/02/man_runs_red_light_is_chased_a.html

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

http://www.cleveland.com/forcing-change/index.ssf/2015/02/man_runs_red_light_is_chased_a.html

On a side note, do you have a source confirming that he was actually innocent? That article tells a much different story (That the guy fled the scene after running the red light, forcing cops to chase him, then when they confronted him, he apparently ran into one of the cops with his car, pinning the cop to the wall of a house - doesn't sound innocent).

It says that investigations found the force used by the cops to be justified. If you can provide a more recent source that confirms this is not the case, that'd be sweet.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Um, that guy fled and then decided to pin an officer against a house. I wouldn't say they shot him because he ran a red light.

Though strange that they're posting about an incident 11 years ago.

I wonder if they're doing any sort of compression to try and maximize storage.

Potential downside being that intentionally or accidentally data could end up corrupted during such a process.

Anyway it's pretty obvious that idealistic suggestions never consider the practicality of those suggestions.  I would be happy enough with a microphone on police officers.  

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

I wonder if they're doing any sort of compression to try and maximize storage.

Potential downside being that intentionally or accidentally data could end up corrupted during such a process.

Anyway it's pretty obvious that idealistic suggestions never consider the practicality of those suggestions.  I would be happy enough with a microphone on police officers.  

Justice is blind.

Microphones are blind.

Therefore Microphones are Justice... and Ray Charles.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

"Everybody is screaming, 'We need body cameras.' But nobody is saying, where is the money coming from? What are you going to do with all the data? Who is going to manage it?" said Sgt. Jason Halifax of the Des Moines Police Department, which is struggling to identify a funding source for $300,000 to start a program. "Are we going to cut personnel? Are we going to increase taxes?"

Where will that money will come from? Our pockets and it still won't be enough. They will definitely have to cut personnel to keep this going.

And that is a good question. Who is going to manage it? Are they going to pay someone to sit and watch each cop's data each and every day? :huh:

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Pffft,

h.265 Video will look good at 3000 kBps. (24 Mbps video) Which is good for 4k,

This harddrive is 92$ and has 3TB in storage.

3TB allows for 1,000,000 Seconds of

footage, which is 11.57 Days of footage.

92/11.57= ~8$/day

Which assuming you backup 50% redundency is ~16$ a day of footage.

Its quite expensive.

If you dial back the bitrate 3x (To 8Mbps/1000kBps)

Its $5.3 a Day of footage , Not that expensive.

But you know, You could try and delete the useless junk.

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

Bullshit is that he purposefully neglected to mention that the man didn't just run red light.  And it was red light; not stop sign.

When officers Reginald Smith and Alan Buford tried to stop him, Wilson fled.

Wilson backed the car up and pinned Smith against the house

Wilson, who'd been shot at least twice, got out of the car and started to fight with Buford. After a few moments, Wilson collapsed near the back porch and died.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

How about that 3 trillion dollars apple has?

Where? Neither their market cap nor their cash adds up to three trillion dollars.

Point is, it does not matter how much they spend on SWAT teams or armoured vehicles(maybe when "peaceful protesters" stop throwing bricks, there would be less need for armoured vehicles) to go with SWAT teams...those purchases are justifed - they will, when deployed properly, stop criminals/terrorists.

Cameras don't stop criminals/terrorists.

The cameras aren't for the criminals, they're for the cops that as of now willingly shoot and kill innocent people and get away with it.

If you respond to people throwing bricks with APCs then you're clearly making the situation worse, not better.

I would rather the federal government drop its charity-like assistance money and see the increase in my state taxes to pay for the issues that affect where I live.

But the federal government could help with issues that affect where you live, it's just that whenever it tries you cry that it's impinging on your "freedom."

Oh don't get me wrong, the Federal government doesn't need to solve every problem, I'm saying cut their funding, and keep that funding for the states if anything.

What do you mean "cut their funding?" Who is cutting this funding? The federal government is at the top of the government. They control their funding. Federal and state taxes are isolated. It's not like all of this money is being purposefully diverted into two areas from one well of cash.

i was agreeing with you, id rather some mil-surplus go to the police force than a scrap heap.

I wouldn't. Police militarization has gone too far. The police in Britain don't even carry tasers regularly, much less guns.

Body cams are only part of the solution required to fix the issues affecting the US approach to criminal justice as the case of Eric Garner shows. It's simply impossible to indict police officers on murder charges when the prosecution has a vested interest in not prosecuting effectively! That's what needs to change.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Bullshit is that he purposefully neglected to mention that the man didn't just run red light.  And it was red light; not stop sign.

Minor nitpick

A red light is the equivalent of a stop sign.  They're the same thing.  

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

The cameras aren't for the criminals, they're for the cops that as of now willingly shoot and kill innocent people and get away with it.

Which innocent people?

If you respond to people throwing bricks with APCs then you're clearly making the situation worse, not better.

It's called protecting self from harm; there is nothing more to it. People bitch and whine about vehicles being purchased from military when they can't distinguish one from another.

How else do you plan to respond? Tear gas? Sticks? Waterhose? Bullets?

Minor nitpick

A red light is the equivalent of a stop sign.  They're the same thing.

Red light isn't constantly in effect; not the same thing.

Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

It's called protecting self from harm; there is nothing more to it. People bitch and whine about vehicles being purchased from military when they can't distinguish one from another.

... actually, yes, the police have been using tear gas in combination with smoke and 'rubber' bullets (nonlethal stun projectiles)

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

On a side note, do you have a source confirming that he was actually innocent? That article tells a much different story (That the guy fled the scene after running the red light, forcing cops to chase him, then when they confronted him, he apparently ran into one of the cops with his car, pinning the cop to the wall of a house - doesn't sound innocent).

It says that investigations found the force used by the cops to be justified. If you can provide a more recent source that confirms this is not the case, that'd be sweet.

Um, that guy fled and then decided to pin an officer against a house. I wouldn't say they shot him because he ran a red light.

Though strange that they're posting about an incident 11 years ago.

Typo, I meant to say "wasn't".   In other words "he wasn't entirely innocent"

Yes the police shot him, but not before he ran off and tried to pin one to a wall.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

... actually, yes, the police have been using tear gas in combination with smoke and 'rubber' bullets (nonlethal stun projectiles)

That's the point.

APC does nothing to people(unless they are stupid enough to try to get ran over); it's not used to hurt anything.

Perhaps the NSA can provide some resources for storing huge volumes of data.

Or is this data not important enough?

And? Rubber bullets are infinitely more dangerous then an APC is. What do you expect? That the APC has 0.50Cal Machine Guns on it or something? Police APC's are unarmed. All it does is protect the occupants from harm.

Rubber bullets are proven to be lethal if used incorrectly or if the opponent is too close, or if the bullet ricochets and hits someone in the head. The more accurate term is "less lethal".

All the APC does is allow the police to get into position safely, to more effectively control the crowd and reduce the situation. Is it intimidating? Sure. But it's no less dangerous then an SUV is.

Typo, I meant to say "wasn't".   In other words "he wasn't entirely innocent"

Yes the police shot him, but not before he ran off and tried to pin one to a wall.

Oooooooooooh. Well... That typo makes all the difference ;) The guy in that article was retarded. Seriously. If I was that cop, I would have shot him too.

That's the point.

APC does nothing to people(unless they are stupid enough to try to get ran over); it's not used to hurt anything.

Agreed. Only someone "jumping" into the path of the APC could hurt themselves... or if they decided to break the glass or something with their fists... that would hurt too.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Which innocent people?

Oh, I don't know, Tamar Rice, Eric Garner, Mike Brown...the list goes on. Those are just the ones you heard of, trust me that there are many more.

See...that's the issue. You see an appropriate response as one that harms people in a disgusting fashion. If the protest is peaceful then it's actually unconstitutional to break it up but seeing as the first amendment doesn't mean much these days that doesn't count for anything. 

All the APC does is allow the police to get into position safely, to more effectively control the crowd and reduce the situation. Is it intimidating? Sure. But it's no less dangerous then an SUV is.

Yes, but the police aren't the military. They don't need intimidation. They are civilians, not soldiers. If you've already let a dangerous situation escalate to the point where you need an APC to be safe then you've lost. The problem in Ferguson (and let's face it, we're discussing Ferguson here) is that the police made few attempts to deescalate the situation.

For the police, deescalation should always be the number one priority. Violence should honestly be a last resort. That's why I'm mad to see it used so freely and to see its use recommended so freely. Diplomacy trumps boots on the ground in so many ways it's silly that we still decide to fight like we do.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Oh, I don't know, Tamar Rice, Eric Garner, Mike Brown...the list goes on. Those are just the ones you heard of, trust me that there are many more.

See...that's the issue. You see an appropriate response as one that harms people in a disgusting fashion. If the protest is peaceful then it's actually unconstitutional to break it up but seeing as the first amendment doesn't mean much these days that doesn't count for anything.

You are full of it.

"Tamar Rice killed by police while in possession of BB gun"

933d4cc6-1b2b-41c7-8f89-353b76f8536d-102

Sounds familiar?

You point gun-looking object around = you get shot.

(fun fact: I have done something like this many many years ago with an airsoft shotgun; but I was in a safe neighborhood and I didn't point it at people, so police officer just drove up next to me and told me about imitation firearm safety)

Michael Brown? He beat up a police officer and resisted arrest, shot while charging at police officer(from final autopsy).

What you hear of is just sensationalist media bullshitting in trying to get more views.

If the protest is peaceful; the police would be sent in anyway.

See, the problem here is that you are trying to say that police DOING THEIR JOB is too much for you to handle.

Yes, but the police aren't the military. They don't need intimidation. They are civilians, not soldiers. If you've already let a dangerous situation escalate to the point where you need an APC to be safe then you've lost. The problem in Ferguson (and let's face it, we're discussing Ferguson here) is that the police made few attempts to deescalate the situation.

For the police, deescalation should always be the number one priority. Violence should honestly be a last resort. That's why I'm mad to see it used so freely and to see its use recommended so freely. Diplomacy trumps boots on the ground in so many ways it's silly that we still decide to fight like we do.

When APC is called in(like SWAT vans); there will be plenty of reasons to intimidate.

It's not easy to de-escalate the situation when people are STUPID(they believed whatever bullshit that was fed to them, such as "Michael Brown was spreading the words of christ..." before any conclusion can be made about autopsy).

--

You forgot to add that the police didn't kill eric garner, taxes did!

You forgot to add that the police didn't kill eric garner, taxes did!

I stopped at Michael Brown because, at that point, you know rest of the list is bullshit as well. (Eric Garner wasn't even shot)

The police chief is a celebrity chef?

Muh rig: i7 4770k, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, MSI Z87 G45, Kingston Hyper X Blu 8GB, Samsung 840 EVO 120 + WD Blue 1 TB, Asus GTX 770 2GB, Corsair 200r + 2x Corsair AF 120 Blue + 1x Stock corsair fan, Corsair TX650, LG 27EA33V IPS, Steelseries Sensei Raw + QCK mini, CM Quickfire Ultimate Blue.

Maybe if they didn't use up all the storage spying on innocent citizens they'd have room.

/s

"The unexamined life is not worth living" - Apology 38a, Socrates