US police are facing storage & cost issue because of body camera

ahhming

Maybe if they didn't use up all the storage spying on innocent citizens they'd have room.

uhm... what?

The NSA stores data captured from spying on citizens. The NSA runs some of the biggest private data centers in the world.

Local police have exactly zero access to that.

Unless you're saying you want this footage put into the NSA database, where instead of being localized to each state or city, it will be accessible nationwide (Which has its own inherent problems and risks).

I feel like a lot of people just label government of any kind as "them" or "they", without understanding the distinct separations between them. "They" - in this case - are local police agencies. "They" don't have access to NSA data systems. Nor should they. You really want everything a cop ever sees put into the NSA database for profiling? Every person they see, every action a person takes in view of the camera - whether related to a case or not.

You're essentially suggesting that we give the NSA free citizen profiling data.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

uhm... what?

The NSA stores data captured from spying on citizens. The NSA runs some of the biggest private data centers in the world.

Local police have exactly zero access to that.

Unless you're saying you want this footage put into the NSA database, where instead of being localized to each state or city, it will be accessible nationwide (Which has its own inherent problems and risks).

I feel like a lot of people just label government of any kind as "them" or "they", without understanding the distinct separations between them. "They" - in this case - are local police agencies. "They" don't have access to NSA data systems. Nor should they. You really want everything a cop ever sees put into the NSA database for profiling? Every person they see, every action a person takes in view of the camera - whether related to a case or not.

You're essentially suggesting that we give the NSA free citizen profiling data.

I was being sarcastic to make a point. I perfectly understand that there is a huge distinction between the NSA and the Police Force.

I shall now make sure to include a '/s' after every sarcastic post I make.

On the subject though, that was one of my worries, considering the number of faces that would be picked up on body cameras, that the police would use this for the type of profiling they use to predict crime in prevalent areas.

"The unexamined life is not worth living" - Apology 38a, Socrates

I was being sarcastic to make a point. I perfectly understand that there is a huge distinction between the NSA and the Police Force.

I shall now make sure to include a '/s' after every sarcastic post I make.

On the subject though, that was one of my worries, considering the number of faces that would be picked up on body cameras, that the police would use this for the type of profiling they use to predict crime in prevalent areas.

Indeed, considering how many posts in this thread alone have similar tones to yours, but are completely serious, you should always use the '/s' tag with sarcastic posts.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Indeed, considering how many posts in this thread alone have similar tones to yours, but are completely serious, you should always use the '/s' tag with sarcastic posts.

I do agree, it is rather surprising how many people think that every federal government institution is completely unified in the US.

You are full of it.

"Tamar Rice killed by police while in possession of BB gun"

-snip-

Sounds familiar?

You point gun-looking object around = you get shot.

(fun fact: I have done something like this many many years ago with an airsoft shotgun; but I was in a safe neighborhood and I didn't point it at people, so police officer just drove up next to me and told me about imitation firearm safety)

Michael Brown? He beat up a police officer and resisted arrest, shot while charging at police officer(from final autopsy).

What you hear of is just sensationalist media bullshitting in trying to get more views.

-snip-

In the UK, every single use of a taser has to be reported and investigated, so why are US police armed with live firearms constantly? Any decent policeman should attempt to apprehend the target, and take them to custody, alive. Police killing a suspect is simply barbaric. Power should be derived from the consent of the governed, not from threat of force. The only protection those killings were about was protecting the reputation of those with blood on their hands. This is what separates a democratic state from somewhere like Egypt, where they kill crowds of protestors, because they feel threatened. Maybe we should worry about the fact that people feel the need to protest in the first place?

I do sincerely apologise if the above has offended anyone.

"The unexamined life is not worth living" - Apology 38a, Socrates