Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

US police are facing storage & cost issue because of body camera

Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake already has sounded the alarm over the long-term costs of police body cameras.

In December, she vetoed a proposal that would have required officers to wear cameras because she didn't believe the costs and other details were adequately considered. City officials estimated costs up to $2.6 million a year for storage and the extra staff needed to manage the video data.

Already, cities are wrestling with whether they can afford to equip all their officers and how often the cameras should be turned off to reduce the video recorded.

With an average officer uploading several videos per shift, it doesn't take long for data—and the associated expense_to add up.

"It's enormous," said Police Chief Gordon Ramsay of Duluth, Minnesota, where the city's 110 officer-worn cameras are generating 8,000 to 10,000 videos per month that are kept for at least 30 days and in many cases longer. "The more you capture, the more you have to store, which means higher costs."

how other cities pay for body cameras

— In Wichita, Kansas, the police department has proposed selling a helicopter used to search for suspects in order to fund its body-camera program for hundreds of officers. The cost is estimated at $6.4 million over a decade and includes two employees to manage the program.

— In Berkeley, California, the city manager warned in a memo in January of likely costs of at least $45,000 a year for storing data from 150 cameras and assigning one or two employees. In addition, officers might spend 30 minutes per shift handling the video—the equivalent annual time of five full-time officers, the memo said. The City Council is scheduled to debate the issue next week.

"In our community, that alone would be about $1 million," City Council member Laurie Capitelli told AP, referring to the officers' time. "I want to look at the costs and consider the trade-offs."

— San Diego's five-year contract with Taser for 1,000 cameras would cost $267,000 for the devices—but another $3.6 million for storage contracts, software licenses, maintenance, warranties and related equipment. City officials can scale back the deal if funding dries up.

"Everybody is screaming, 'We need body cameras.' But nobody is saying, where is the money coming from? What are you going to do with all the data? Who is going to manage it?" said Sgt. Jason Halifax of the Des Moines Police Department, which is struggling to identify a funding source for $300,000 to start a program. "Are we going to cut personnel? Are we going to increase taxes?"

great job merica!! How did they not see this coming

source:

http://phys.org/news/2015-02-police-body-cameras-big-loom.html

http://news.yahoo.com/police-body-cameras-big-costs-loom-storing-footage-174207101.html

Not really news. But yes, it costs money.

---

Don't take that the wrong way. This is already a known issue for police dash cams, but more so here because it involves police privacy, the ability of the officer to control evidence, and the efficacy of filming.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

use VP8 and dial down the bitrate  ?

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

It's important though. Every country needs their police to have cameras on their bodies that can;t be switched off and also need not be covered or turned off by the police so they can take part in illegal activity. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

You know, I bet they could call any one of us and we'd be willing to do it ourselves for half the price.

It's really not that expensive considering the budget of the United States.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

It's really not that expensive considering the budget of the United States.

These are state + local budgets that are by law not allowed to run deficits.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

I think a part of this is a necessary cost but I think it needs to be a little more streamlined, wouldn't police get work phones? why can't the video temporarily store onto that and then automatically transfer at the station when in range. It would save time for officers. There should also be a flagging system so anything where the camera is used extensively can be flagged and stored for longer than a default period of time - it wouldn't solve all the problems but it may make it a little cheaper and more manageable.

I can't imagine officers are too happy with having to wear the cameras so making it easy for them (especially those who are not as familiar with technology) is important in order for the programs to work.

Intel i7 3770k, Maximus V Formula, 32GB G.Skill 1600MHz RAM, ASUS DCUII GTX 670

Maybe they should get the billions of dollars we gave to the ISP's back in 1996 and actually put it to use instead?

All cops should have body cameras, I don't care what issues you're having with storage, electricity, or anything else, I pay taxes to fund shit like this, so stop the frivolous spending and actually use it like we are paying you to.

How about that 3 trillion dollars apple has?

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

Take it out of the pay of state legislators and or congress is always my favorite option.

Not like those bastards actually need the money, or do anything for us.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

the federal goverment should provide money for it, and they could simply try saving money in other areas, because alot of american police activity seems wasteful or unnecessary (eg the "war" on drugs)

So they can buy tanks, but can't buy a few hard drives?

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

So they can buy tanks, but can't buy a few hard drives?

What tanks?

If you are talking about military surplus APC; the cold war leftovers are quite cheap(much cheaper than equipping all patrol officers with cameras).

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

What tanks?

If you are talking about military surplus APC; the cold war leftovers are quite cheap(much cheaper than equipping all patrol officers with cameras).

i doubt it with the maintenance cost

They are incredibly cheap, and the military wanted to get rid of them. That's why DoD program 1033 made older military equipment available to local and state police forces for counter-terrorism and counter-narcotic efforts.

There is a town in my state that got an APC to defend their pumpkin festival. It obviously didn't work, since a bunch of rowdy people managed to wreak havoc on it this past fall.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Maintenance cost is incredibly cheap when you are buying parts for domestically-produced vehicle with domestically-produced parts.

Even Soviet TANKS, such as T-54, cost less than maintaining a camera/storage system for cops...  T-54 goes for about 30k usd and add maybe 10k for shipping.

2.6 million could fund multiple actual tanks WITH replacement parts.

Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

I don't know, is it more expensive than military weapons, vehicles and outfitting towns with populations of 5,000 with SWAT teams? Is it more expensive than performing astronomical amounts of no-knock raids, assault rifles blazing, which more than half the time are on an innocent home? They don't seem to be having a problem funding all of that shit.

Yeah, I know the military equipment is received for free or very cheap from the military itself but it still costs a ton to operate and maintain the equipment.

But oh no, as soon as they have to pay for a device that enforces accountability, all of a sudden the funding well is dry.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Maintenance cost is incredibly cheap when you are buying parts for domestically-produced vehicle with domestically-produced parts.

Even Soviet TANKS, such as T-54, cost less than maintaining a camera/storage system for cops...  T-54 goes for about 30k usd and add maybe 10k for shipping.

2.6 million could fund multiple actual tanks WITH replacement parts.

As someone who's been involved with military purchasing, spares programs, maintenance and refurbishing.  I call BS on the use of the word cheap in this thread.

If a municipality or police force believes that 40k or 2.6million and anything in between is cheap, then this whole HDD space issue is a non-starter.

Just because the equipment is available at a discounted rate, doesn't mean it isn't an unwise use of public funds.

I'd like my town to record the cops.  Maybe it'd stop them throwing on their cherries to run lights so often.  I see it every month and want those people out.

As someone who's been involved with military purchasing, spares programs, maintenance and refurbishing.  I call BS on the use of the word cheap in this thread.

If a municipality or police force believes that 40k or 2.6million and anything in between is cheap, then this whole HDD space issue is a non-starter.

Just because the equipment is available at a discounted rate, doesn't mean it isn't an unwise use of public funds.

I'd like my town to record the cops.  Maybe it'd stop them throwing on their cherries to run lights so often.  I see it every month and want those people out.

Call BS all you want.

But it(purchase of surplus military vehicle even from overseas, which I dealt with) is very possible even on budget of one person.

Therefore, for police derpartment using tax money...it's cheap.  Which is my point; those armoured vehicles are way cheaper than 2.6mil.

Whether they consider 2.6mil. to be "cheap" isn't the same problem here.

I don't know, is it more expensive than military weapons, vehicles and outfitting towns with populations of 5,000 with SWAT teams? Is it more expensive than performing astronomical amounts of no-knock raids, assault rifles blazing, which more than half the time are on an innocent home? They don't seem to be having a problem funding all of that shit.

Yeah, I know the military equipment is received for free or very cheap from the military itself but it still costs a ton to operate and maintain the equipment.

But oh no, as soon as they have to pay for a device that enforces accountability, all of a sudden the funding well is dry.

Military vehicles are not costly to operate when you don't need to drive it onto patrols every day...not that they cost much(other than extra high gas money) to operate when you do drive it every day.  I don't get where people get the idea that military vehicles(a very loose term) automatically cost a ton to drive/maintain...  They are not getting MBTs with real ERA blocks...

Point is, it does not matter how much they spend on SWAT teams or armoured vehicles(maybe when "peaceful protesters" stop throwing bricks, there would be less need for armoured vehicles) to go with SWAT teams...those purchases are justifed - they will, when deployed properly, stop criminals/terrorists.

Cameras don't stop criminals/terrorists.

You can only imagine what a police officers body camera see's on a daily basis. I am sure frames like this are quite common.

pb200042.jpg

Here you are, I found how they can pay for the camera's,  just stop giving money to the movie industry and that'll free up $1.5B which should adequately cover all of them.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20121204/03352421220/15-billion-taxpayer-funds-go-directly-to-movie-studios-each-year-very-few-jobs-created.shtml

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't.    Please don't be a dick,  make allowances when reading my posts.

Here you are, I found how they can pay for the camera's,  just stop giving money to the movie industry and that'll free up $1.5B which should adequately cover all of them.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20121204/03352421220/15-billion-taxpayer-funds-go-directly-to-movie-studios-each-year-very-few-jobs-created.shtml

If some dude from Australia knows how to spend our money better than our government does, there's a problem.