What is the Future of Watercooling?

While watching 

with Paul and Jay, they talked about the original purposes of Watercooling.
-PC parts were making advances, but were causing tremendous heat problems.

Later on they said because of the advances we are making currently in cooling, you can get equal/almost equal performance on air cooling and watercooling. However, this certainly has not stopped anyone to watercool their systems.

My question is, where do you think Watercooling will go if we want it's performance to continue to go up. Will Watercooling technologies allow for greater performance in the future? Or will Mineral Oil Sumbmerged pc's become more popular? (Yeaa Linus and Slick!)

Kill the Machine!

water cooling will just get more refined with better blocks and tubes, thats really it,

mineral oil will never be widespread

While watching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_pN1KFWJ1U with Paul and Jay, they talked about the original purposes of Watercooling.

-PC parts were making advances, but were causing tremendous heat problems.

Later on they said because of the advances we are making currently in cooling, you can get equal/almost equal performance on air cooling and watercooling. However, this certainly has not stopped anyone to watercool their systems.

My question is, where do you think Watercooling will go if we want it's performance to continue to go up. Will Watercooling technologies allow for greater performance in the future? Or will Mineral Oil Sumbmerged pc's become more popular? (Yeaa Linus and Slick!)

besides if you want to oc an amd card :P you really dont need water cooling its more for looks and bragging rights at the moment 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

Liquid nitrogen and metal pipes

jk I have no idea, it will probably just get better blocks and stuff

My life is consumed by CS:GO, even though I'm not exceptionally good at it.

CPU: AMD A10-5800K | GPU: Gigabyte R9 270 2GB | RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz HyperX Blu | Storage: 120GB Samsung 850 EVO + 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Chassis: NZXT H230 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-HD3 | PSU: Corsair CX500 500W | Cooling: CM Hyper 212 EVO | OS: Windows 10
In order of priority: GTX 970 Strix, 2 good 1080p monitors, i5 4690k, MSI Z97 Gaming 5 LGA 1150, a job

i'm actually waiting for a concept of laptop liquid cooling, where for example the thicker back of the laptop will have a radiator, and the heat gets there trough liquid instead of a heatpipe.

probably crazy for thinking of that idea tho :/

Watercooling was always a high end/enthusiast thing. Water conducts heat better than air so it is the go to choice to get temps down and clocks up. 

The AIOs are alright but massive heatsinks can beat them. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

i'm actually waiting for a concept of laptop liquid cooling, where for example the thicker back of the laptop will have a radiator, and the heat gets there trough liquid instead of a heatpipe.

issue is more a case of power requirements and space then the cooling benefit :P

Never liked watercooling, i would go crazy thinking about leakage.

But it looks sexy tho

I kind of wish it was more warranted. I'd love to see a product that needs water-cooling. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

Water cooling becomes less practical with every product generation but my understanding is that the biz is actually growing for the manufacturers so all bets are off.

Just when I'd thought that we'd reached watercooled nirvana too. :) Sure, nowadays things are much cooler, fans more efficient, some are not as loud as others. I mostly like that watercooling adds to longevity and silence myself. Generally with the lower temps it brings, you might also achieve better overclocks.

Where it's going? I don't know for sure. But there's always room for artistic innovation as fashions ebb and flow. I also know where it's been in the past and where it's gone to so far. Transporting a watercooled PC around was a problem a while back. Taking them to LAN parties was a bit hazardous. Not so much now though with (AIO) 'All in one' closed loop liquid coolers. Hoses, you also have the option of going acrylic now. So, no more big bends flattening out when you close the case up. It looks state of the art too.

If I had to give an insightful guess on the future of watercooling. I'd say that things might steer towards running passive whilst surfing the net. Just like some of the latest GPU's do. Yes, you can do this manually. But I'm sure that some genius can make software to control all your fans automatically on the rads and elsewhere. Then the system will be almost entirely silent until the temps crank up.. and by then you'd be getting spawn killed and wouldn't even notice them spinning. :lol:

Liquid nitrogen has a very low heat capacity, it can cool only with it's low temps... But it will probably lead to condensed water on mobo?

Liquid nitrogen has a very low heat capacity, it can cool only with it's low temps... But it will probably lead to condensed water on mobo?

Yeah. That's the problem with liquid Nitrogen. The temperatures are lower than the dew point of most rooms. The solution is either have a VERY dry room (which can be a pain in the a$$ for comfort) or do nitrogen blanketing in a PC (as it's done in tanks for industrial purposes). However, that's a whole other level of enthusiast. 

Spoiler

Courtesy of a lot of desktop water cooling enthusiasts, a lot has been learned over the years and we've come a very long way and water cooling has become a lot easier to implement -- once you get around the planning and expense. In practicality there's not really much left for water cooling to grow with regard to the desktops. There's a wide array of blocks, radiators and fittings. Radiator friendly cases are fairly widespread.

So for water cooling to keep growing, I think it's going to head to the server room.

Currently there's not much happening in server rooms for water cooling. It's still mostly air cooled. And in very active server rooms, it can be loud at times. And those rooms typically need to be air conditioned. Heavily air conditioned. Even in winter. So I see water cooling going that direction, with more rack-mountable options becoming available and thin form-factor blocks and parts coming more to the market with server rooms migrating into water cooling servers and server hard drives. This could lead to greater longevity of components and lower energy costs as they'd probably be able to keep those servers a lot cooler with a lot less energy -- think something along the lines of what Linus was doing with this whole-room system, only in a rack-mount kind of thing.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

I'm actually pretty surprised nobody has done this yet! I think that would be incredible. I think the only downside would be the maintenance, which probably is not a huge thing for someone looking to buy a laptop. Still, a sweet awesome idea!

Kill the Machine!

Courtesy of a lot of desktop water cooling enthusiasts, a lot has been learned over the years and we've come a very long way and water cooling has become a lot easier to implement -- once you get around the planning and expense. In practicality there's not really much left for water cooling to grow with regard to the desktops. There's a wide array of blocks, radiators and fittings. Radiator friendly cases are fairly widespread.

So for water cooling to keep growing, I think it's going to head to the server room.

Currently there's not much happening in server rooms for water cooling. It's still mostly air cooled. And in very active server rooms, it can be loud at times. And those rooms typically need to be air conditioned. Heavily air conditioned. Even in winter. So I see water cooling going that direction, with more rack-mountable options becoming available and thin form-factor blocks and parts coming more to the market with server rooms migrating into water cooling servers and server hard drives. This could lead to greater longevity of components and lower energy costs as they'd probably be able to keep those servers a lot cooler with a lot less energy -- think something along the lines of what Linus was doing with this whole-room system, only in a rack-mount kind of thing.

This is a super good point. Unfortunately I have never and may never associate myself with servers. Regardless that would be an amazing advancement to follow.

Kill the Machine!

Water cooling becomes less practical with every product generation but my understanding is that the biz is actually growing for the manufacturers so all bets are off.

That's why I was kind of wondering. Jay (I think it was Jay) said air cooling is amazing now. So with Water Cooling being basically irrelevant (except for how freaking amazing it looks) what is the next step for water cooling?

Kill the Machine!

This actually might be a good concept for the future of minimising the heat build up in some laptops. Maybe using those heatpipes, with coolant flowing through them, could help. It's a good idea Manikyath. Thanks.

Slide1.png

Done right, I think watercooling can give you a better performance to noise ratio.

More heat dissipation, less noise.

yup

my loop will get to around 50 degrees at full load but the trade off is that the fans are barely moving if i kick the fans up a couple hundred more rpm i can drop temps significantly.

i cant even hear my pc besides the occasional HDD spin up and the tower sits around 2 feet away from my head

But surely the pipes would shatter due to the low temps?

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro