Help in Building a PC (Step 5: Build Complete)

Yakusoku
Go to solution Solved by Yakusoku,

DSCN20801_zpsw1m97wjd.jpg

Finished.! ! .ハイ、オメデトーフ(*゚▽゚)_□

"Some more tweaks in software, but hardware installation is done"

Many thanks to everyone who helped me through every step from Part choosing all the way to software installations. Thank you also to @Linus for providing me with the many resources to make this Build an enjoyable one.

This is the least expensive ASUS board that has everything you need:  http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-z97a

The Hero is $80 more and your performance will go up by this:  0%  :D

I helped a Candian with a build about a month ago, he got this board for $125 (half price):

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-z97prowifiac

If that deal was not found he would never have spent the $250 for it.  That deal lasted a total of 5-10 minutes I believe (Canada Computers).  His rig is up and running fine BTW:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/289849-about-to-push-the-button/  Skip to page 10.

These Super High-End boards look nicer, sure.  But for 99% of users, the benefit usually ends there.

The things I look for when picking a board for you are not numerous:  I look for the ability to SLI, and for an 8 phase VRM (in case you need the clean power for an overclock), that's it.

The MSI G55 SLI ($130) is just as good as the ASUS Z97 A ($164).  I would really recommend saving the money and putting it elsewhere.  If you were in the USA, I would not recommend more than the AsRock Extreme 3 ($110), or the MSI SLI Krait ($110).

Only go Super-high end boards if money is not a concern.

You have a point, but I would like to spend the extra.(っ´・ω・`)っ

I know it sounds foolish but PC's (Laptops) I've used for all these time has always lasted me 4-5 years. Though at the rate of technology back then it was good. But now upgrades are essencial.

Since my work has always emphasized to not only perform good but look good as well. I want to invest a bit more for that if possible, especially its going to be my first build in 13 years.

Note: I have an Aunt who lives in Seatle US (IT Grad). Would it be wise just to ask her to purchase the parts (Just sending her the money) in the US market (Website/Stores) and have her mail thoes to me? Would that save up on the markup prices here in Canada?

@Yakusoku What is the average polygon count of your projects?  Are you way in the billions?  16GB should be enough, but 32GB might be better... if it gets used.

Average is on the billions. So I thought 8GB was going to be enoughN But looking at my friends PC that I have been using, actually had 32GB. Though yeah I think I will stick with 16GB for now and see if I would need more in the future.

-snip-

It would be cheaper to get the parts in the US but Canadian customs is just going to hit you with a fee on the way in (unless you manage to smuggle it over) almost equal to just buying it in Canada. I sent a computer to a friend in Quebec and they wanted $157 dollars in customs for a machine I wrote off as 800 USD and a gift. 

You have a point, but I would like to spend the extra.(っ´・ω・`)っ

I know it sounds foolish but PC's (Laptops) I've used for all these time has always lasted me 4-5 years. Though at the rate of technology back then it was good. But now upgrades are essencial.

Since my work has always emphasized to not only perform good but look good as well. I want to invest a bit more for that if possible, especially its going to be my first build in 13 years.

Note: I have an Aunt who lives in Seatle US (IT Grad). Would it be wise just to ask her to purchase the parts (Just sending her the money) in the US market (Website/Stores) and have her mail thoes to me? Would that save up on the markup prices here in Canada?

Average is on the billions. So I thought 8GB was going to be enoughN But looking at my friends PC that I have been using, actually had 32GB. Though yeah I think I will stick with 16GB for now and see if I would need more in the future.

So, you like the fancy mobos  :P

This is one of my favorite designs and you could save a few bucks (if you like the looks):  http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-z97gd65gaming

ASUS boards are good, but they are not the best... there is no best.  Right now, Gigabyte, MSI, AsRock, and EVGA (EVGA, arguable the best) are great for motherboard quality.  Biostar and ECS are companies I watch to see if they can intrigue me.

Shipping from Seattle:  I would look into the CPU, and GPU.  If you can get them through customs without duty (gift) that might help.  RAM, SSD, Hard drive, are small enough that it might make sense to, unless you have to pay duty.  All that trouble and to pay further at customs might not be worth it.

As you can see, the cost does get up there quickly with only a few changes:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($368.32 @ TigerDirect Canada)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($64.98 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GD65 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($185.75 @ Vuugo)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($149.99 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($149.99 @ Canada Computers)
Storage: Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($129.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($109.99 @ Canada Computers)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 980 4GB STRIX Video Card  ($662.50 @ Vuugo)
Case: Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower Case  ($134.99 @ DirectCanada)
Power Supply: XFX XTR 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($124.98 @ NCIX)
Optical Drive: LG UH12NS30 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer  ($44.99 @ Canada Computers)
Total: $2126.47
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-07 14:36 EST-0500

Don't forget there are always the taxes, fans, thermal paste, etc...  the price will jump.

This is a really nice full tower:  http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/phanteks-case-phes614pbk

@stconquest

I found matching the ram color to the pegs it plugs into the motherboard gives a nicer finish. And if OP doesn't need a optical drive the H440 red/black would make that look killer.

Yeah the Custom really is very annoying. That in mind I'll ask my Aunt first if she has any idea if she can get me those parts with out the customs charges.

Anyway would the MAXIMUS VII HERO be the good choice then?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So far our progress with the picks.

CPU: i7-4790K

GPU: GTX980

RAM: 16GB

Yeah the Custom really is very annoying. That in mind I'll ask my Aunt first if she has any idea if she can get me those parts with out the customs charges.

Anyway would the MAXIMUS VII HERO be the good choice then?

Too expensive... but that is my 2 cents.  Did you not like the GD65?

@stconquest

I found matching the ram color to the pegs it plugs into the motherboard gives a nicer finish. And if OP doesn't need a optical drive the H440 red/black would make that look killer.

Yeah the optical the drive was just on a whim. But I haven't really used mine (Even in my laptop) in a very long while, since most my software and game I have already installed way back when. Although when getting new software and games (If I get this PC ready most games I may purchase wont be steam only) how would you propose I install them?

Too expensive... but that is my 2 cents.  Did you not like the GD65?

I guess watching many of Linus videos (His emphasizing much on Asus Motherboards) gave me a want to get Asus parts. .(。・ε・。)

@Yakusoku 

H440 doesn't have any 5.25 bays but there is always external drives you can plug in then toss back in the closet once done. Most software you can just download. I can't remember the last time I had to use mine. 

I guess watching many of Linus videos (His emphasizing much on Asus Motherboards) gave me a want to get Asus parts. .(。・ε・。)

@Yakusoku Linus gets them free.  :(

@Yakusoku 

H440 doesn't have any 5.25 bays but there is always external drives you can plug in then toss back in the closet once done. Most software you can just download. I can't remember the last time I had to use mine. 

I have always liked the S340 more than the 440... especially after inspecting them physically.  440 feels a bit cheap with all the plastic compared to the S340's 90% steel construction.

I know I linked the Enthoo Pro (which is plastic), but building in my C70 (which is 99% steel)... I don't think I would ever go back to a plastic case.

@tmlhalo

@Yakusoku  When you are working on your friends computer, how is it?  Where does the system struggle?  If you have not looked at the PC's resources while you are working, you should do that.

Use HW Monitor, MIS Afterburner and Windows Task Manager to try and see if you are nearing any limits when you push the system.  What are your friend's PC's specifications?

OK I've decided to get the MAXIMUS VII Hero. Sure I'll be paying premium but since I've also decided to not add an optical drive putting its budget into the motherboard sounds better.

------------------------------------

Progress so far:

CPU: i7 4790K

Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII Hero

GPU: GTX 980

RAM: 16GB

------------------------------------

As for the case, I just want a SOLID construction. Good mounting options with cable management. Extra slots for when I need to add extra SDD and or HDD. Plus a simple look outside that doesn't scream I play games only. A more professional look, like the 450D,750D. Though a window would be a plus but not necessary.

@stconquest Yeah, I like the s340 too. Forgot about it. For some reason I can't find it on Canadian PC part picker though... odd.

@Yakusoku If we're color matching your components then it is almost certain to get a side window. Makes no sense to go through the trouble otherwise. 

@Yakusoku  When you are working on your friends computer, how is it?  Where does the system struggle?  If you have not looked at the PC's resources while you are working, you should do that.

Use HW Monitor, MIS Afterburner and Windows Task Manager to try and see if you are nearing any limits when you push the system.  What are your friend's PC's specifications?

Intel X79 motherboard

Intel i7 3930 , 3.2 ghz chip

64gb ram: G.Skill DDR3 PC3-12800 RipjawsZ Series

SSD HDD, + 2 other western digital drives for storage

evga geforce gtx 780 Ti SLI

Corsair Hydro Series H80 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

He just plays games with his System. Little photography here and there. Though I've never had any trouble using it for work.

Question why is this a cost more than this. Both are the same cards (Both GTX980 and Asus) right? Is only the outside aesthetics that change, since reference one and the other?

I like the look of the reference, it makes it more professional and not gamer. .ヾ(・ε・`)

Note:  The 2400 MHz RAM will clock down (1600) automatically, unless you direct extra current to it.

@Yakusoku

The more expensive one comes with a back plate, slight factory overclock, and better cooler. The back plate helps keep long cards from sagging due to the weight of the cooler. The better cooler will give you better temps and is usually quieter. The reference isn't bad but most people prefer the better cooling. Though sometimes reference boards are important for water block compatibility though that is a out of this project's scope.

As for the case, I just want a SOLID construction. Good mounting options with cable management. Extra slots for when I need to add extra SDD and or HDD. Plus a simple look outside that doesn't scream I play games only. A more professional look, like the 450D,750D. Though a window would be a plus but not necessary.

Did you watch the video review of the Ethoo Pro?

@stconquest Most ram will default to some fail safe settings unless you set it to the XMP profile anyways. My Hero runs Gskill 1866 cas 8 1.5v at 1600 cas 13 1.5v without XMP set. 

So to reference or not to reference?

Also do I need a full tower or a mid will do just fine?

@Yakusoku Up to you on reference. Maxwell doesn't get hot on the reference cooler if you prefer the look, but the aftermarket will just be cooler and quieter. Also everything will fit fine in a mid tower. 

Would the cooling difference be huge? Then would the extra cost justify it?